Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineShpongloid
WBS-o-phile

Flow Hood
    #2949732 - 07/31/04 07:16 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

How do you think this would do as a flow hood?  I was just scanning the site and found it.  They have larger sizes as well.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.g...3A92523%3A46324

--------------------
"...NIDA-supplied marijuana cigarettes weigh approximately .9 grams. A smoker would theoretically have to consume nearly 1,500 pounds of marijuana within about fifteen minutes to induce a lethal response."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Loc: El Paso, TX Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Flow Hood [Re: Shpongloid]
    #2950371 - 07/31/04 10:48 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

yea it would work. Also just keep it running in the room you grow/work in so its cleaner.

Edited by Gr0wer (07/31/04 10:49 PM)

OfflineTweexican
Clit Commander
 User Gallery
Re: Flow Hood [Re: Gr0wer]
    #2950820 - 08/01/04 01:41 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Shpongloid, I have a makeshift flowhood or pressure box I made from a large clear rubbermaid container and a holmes hepa air unit both bought from WalMart. Turn your container upside down, cut a window for you to work in. Then, take a couple plastic bags and cover the output on the hepa and connect it to the top back of the rubbermaid so that you are sending the sterile air into the container. Use duct tape to create airtight seals and voila, a homemade pressure box as good as any flowhood for about 50 bucks.

I've had mine for a while now without any troubles.

OfflineShpongloid
WBS-o-phile

Re: Flow Hood [Re: Tweexican]
    #2951381 - 08/01/04 10:33 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Do you have any pictures? Call me stupid, but I have a hard time visualizing things like this.

And thanks for your replies, guys.

--------------------
"...NIDA-supplied marijuana cigarettes weigh approximately .9 grams. A smoker would theoretically have to consume nearly 1,500 pounds of marijuana within about fifteen minutes to induce a lethal response."

OfflineShpongloid
WBS-o-phile

#2951393 - 08/01/04 10:36 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Nevermind...I get it now. I just had to read it again.

Thanks!

--------------------

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #2951976 - 08/01/04 01:25 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Thats a nice idea but why would you need a flowhood so big? I made abig one but i have mycobags. With jars you only need room for 2 jars for G2G.

Invisiblemycopsycho
Tit Inspector.
Male
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Going Nowhere Fast
    #2952008 - 08/01/04 01:33 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

it would be nice but i wouldn't buy any of the more expensive equipment from wally world

--------------------
I Am The Sickness.

Diploid: I think adults have a right to make stupid decisions and it's nobody else's fucking business.

OfflineTweexican
Clit Commander
 User Gallery
Re: Flow Hood [Re: mycopsycho]
    #2959976 - 08/03/04 11:22 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

the hepa unit was on sale, 30 bucks!!!

plus, the price of a squirrel cage over here is easily 50 dollars, used.

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
    #2960025 - 08/03/04 11:48 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

i find it a lot more practical to have room for all my transfer equiptment in front of me, be it in front of a hood, in a cabinet/closed terminal or in a glove box.

as for whether that would work for a hood, you would need to know the output volume of the fan.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
Re: Flow Hood [Re: canid]
    #2963019 - 08/04/04 02:36 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Tweexican is right, you can build a plenty decent flow hood out of a wal-mart hepa. As long as you have a standard style front with an adjustable opening you will have no problem using cheap wal-mart hepas.

OfflineKonkeyDong
    #3000046 - 08/13/04 10:15 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Tweexican, post some pictures when you're done with your project. I have a ghetto glovebox, but I think I might try making a flow hood.

OfflineRaadt
nicht

Loc: azurescending
    #3000681 - 08/13/04 12:27 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Grower. The flow from a hepa unit like that is not laminar. Meaning it is not an even wavelike flow. But a flow in which vortexes in dirty air with it. You will have no success working in front of something like that. You could make a purified glove box, but as far as using that as a hood. I wouldn't waste my money.

Also gr0wer, I suggest having experimented or at least having read up on laminar and turbulent flow. Or owning a flowhood or 2, before answering questions like that.

OfflineRaadt
nicht

Loc: azurescending
Re: Flow Hood [Re: fastfred]
    #3000686 - 08/13/04 12:28 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Wrong. Go to the dictionary, and read up on laminar and turbulent flow. Glovebox maybe. Flowhood.... no way.

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

Re: Flow Hood [Re: Raadt]
    #3000784 - 08/13/04 12:54 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I originally made this for a friend, but took it back :wink:  It has yet to fail us/me.

To be fair, I always run a bigger room-sized walmart HEPA for awhile before activating this unit.  Regardless, there is no substitute for cleanliness and technique.

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
    #3001020 - 08/13/04 01:46 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

In case you don't know there is a tremendous difference between 99.97% and 99.995% In the world of mycology .03% is not acceptable, it's great for lowering spore counts in rooms prior to transfers but to build a pressurized GB with high volumes of .03 contaminated air is hit and miss. The combination of these two could be quite successful but still hit and miss, a well built sealed GB can do much better than that and a 99.999% flowhood is pretty much sterile. I've designed and sold these modular HEPA's actually UPLA's for pressurized GB's they are 99.999% down to .01 micron and are very expensive but leave you with an absolutely sterile environment!  BTW very nice setup Suntzu :wink:

Here are also the HOMER2s I designed for two 4 tier side by side fogged greenhouses which utilizes the modular UPLA.

Edited by hyphae (08/20/04 07:50 AM)

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
    #3001117 - 08/13/04 02:03 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Raadt said:The flow from a hepa unit like that is not laminar. Meaning it is not an even wavelike flow. But a flow in which vortexes in dirty air with it. You will have no success working in front of something like that.

Perhaps that's your problem Raadt... You need to work inside your flow hood, not in front of it.

Awesome pics Stuntzu. That design looks like a champ! I built an almost identical setup, with the same wal-mart HEPA, which also worked perfectly. I simply turned the same HEPA unit upside down and sealed it directly to the hood. I also used a sliding plexiglass front so that I could get large objects into it and also control the airflow pressure.

My first design used an airflow diffuser made out of some cheap aluminum pans that had trays with holes in them, but I later found that this wasn't necessary and made it harder to clean. Any air vortexes form outside the exhaust area in the front and are not a problem.

Both of my designs were verified using petri dishes full of rich media. The dishes were left open in the hood for 5 minutes or longer without contamination. Weather the hood is absolutley sterile or not, I can't say. But for all practical purposes it is. I wouldn't try to grow exposed substrate in it from start to finish, but that's hardly necessary.

-FF

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

#3002277 - 08/13/04 08:23 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks;  I think the coolest thing about the 'setup' is that it literally took 20 minutes to assemble  :thumbup:  Personally, I won't work with it without running the other big daddy crappy HEPA first.  Just don't want to chance it anymore, life is too short to redo contaminated jars  :tongue:

ff, do you use the ionizer function?  I don't know for sure how it works. . .are the ionized particles trapped before being blown out?  I don't like the idea of charged particles blowing into the glovebox.  Might work for cleaning the air within a room, but sounds like it could shower the inside of a glovebox.

Very nice modular jobbies, dcyans.  I would like to get the energy to put something like that together someday.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Flow Hood [Re: Suntzu]
    #3002386 - 08/13/04 09:05 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I would like to see some long term result reports on this. I predict such a setup will increase your failure ratio, not improve it. I would have to agree with Raadt. Just because it's a hepa dosn't make it laminar flow, and that's where the turbulence will be dragging dirty air in and mixing with your project. I have a similar unit, and run it for at least twenty four hours prior to doing sterile work to help clean up the air. However, when the time comes to inoculate agar, or g2g, the hepa gets turned off, and the laminar flow hood gets turned on.

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

Re: Flow Hood [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #3004283 - 08/14/04 12:26 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I agree that ghetto boxes are not optimal.  I bet if someone else were to try my unit out in their place, it could very well have problems.  Units like dcyan's would likely work even outdoors!
Like most other things in this hobby, it comes down to pragmatism; a system that performs reliably for the intended purposes.  The 99.97% and turbulent are arguments are very valid.  So all I can offer is anecdotal;  The [cheap] system above in conjunction with a pre-external air clean has been 100% reliable in my environment for a period of say. . .a year and a half of ~monthly use.
Once again, to be fair, I do not do agar work with it [that's what work is for :wink: ].  Strictly grain/grain to grain type work.

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #3004343 - 08/14/04 12:53 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Raadt said:

Also gr0wer, I suggest having experimented or at least having read up on laminar and turbulent flow. Or owning a flowhood or 2, before answering questions like that.

O you mean like this,

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder