Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Anonymous

need help quick! having probs
    #2998721 - 08/13/04 02:34 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

so im trying to set up port forwarding to my computer and i set up a static ip address

after i did this my shit just stopped working  :smirk: (the internet connection)

so i changed it back to automatically assign ip option but it stil wont work

the computer im on right now is on the same network and its working fine..
so it cant be the router itself.. somethin with my comp..

whats up with this shit? :confused:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleYthanA
٩(●̮•̃)۶
Male

Loc: NY/MA/VT Border, USA
Re: need help quick! having probs [Re: ]
    #2998759 - 08/13/04 02:46 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I can't say for sure without knowing more about your setup (like your OS, your network configuration, etc.) However my guess is that you forgot to set a gateway (and/or DNS server) when you manually specified the IP address and when you switched it back you didn't request a new IP address from your router's DHCP server.

On the working computer, open a command prompt and run 'ipconfig /all'. Note the IP address, subnet mask, default gateway and any DNS servers.

Now on the computer that isn't working, set it up for a static IP address again. Use the IP of the other computer but change the last number to something unique on your network (i.e. if the working computer is 192.168.11.2, use 192.168.11.3 on the other computer). Enter the same gateway, subnet and DNS information. Depending on your OS, you may need to reboot afterwards.

Hopefully now it will work. If not, make sure you can see the rest of your network, try pinging the gateway IP address and if that works run a tracert on a known good external IP address (you're welcome to use ours: 69.28.174.162). If this doesn't help, let me know.

Good luck!

-Y

Anonymous

#2998870 - 08/13/04 03:18 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

works!

you were right, i didn forget something, the DNS...

the website that i was learning how to do this shit off of never said anything about the DNS so i wasnt sure if i needed to put it in or not..

im connected with the static ip..now let me see if i cant get this port forwarding setup

thanks a shitload man!!!!!  :laugh:

Anonymous

#2999043 - 08/13/04 04:20 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

hey, somethin aint right here..maybe you can help

i have all the right port ranges set to be forwarded to my ip, but i still cant host any games in  warcraft 3..  :confused:

so then i set up my comp as DMZ and it still wont work  :badcomputer:

any ideas?

almost forgot.. im using a linksys BEFSR41 router

i went to a website that probes checks for firewalls and this is what it said

"Traffic Sent

Packets were successfully sent to your computer.  The server was unable to obtain a connection or any traffic from your computer.  This generally indicates that your firewall blocked the traffic successfully.

If you did not see an event warning it may indicate that the traffic did not reach your computer at all.

This could be due to any of the following reasons:

* You are connecting to the Internet through a proxy server.  When we attempted to connect back to the IP address your web traffic came from we actually were connecting to the proxy server, not your computer.
    * You are behind a corporate firewall which is redirecting traffic in an unexpected manner.
    * You are connecting to the Internet through a NAT (network address translator).  When we attempted to connect back to the IP address your web traffic came from we actually were connecting to the proxy server, not your computer.

In any of these cases you will not see an event notification on your computer because our connection attempt did not reach your computer.  In any case, your computer is secure."

so im behind a firewall? :what:
right now im set to DMZ and ICF aint on...so wtf ?

could it be the modem?

InvisibleSuffer
puter dork
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: MA
    #2999792 - 08/13/04 10:48 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

if your running windows XP, right click on network neiborhood, and make sure that you turn off the windows firewall on your adapter... might help

--------------------

Anonymous

Re: need help quick! having probs [Re: Suffer]
    #3001538 - 08/13/04 05:37 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah.. I've had that off since the start of this whole thing..

I still can't figure out whats the deal with this shit

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Science and Technology