Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Portable Greenhouse

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineCallalily8
A Wee Green Elf
Loc: Tuber
Foul odor
    #2996285 - 08/12/04 05:39 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I am growing in a self containded myco bag that I purchased off of the internet.  I used a syringe that I also purchase via internet.  I have been unsure exactly how to get the mycelium to grow.  But I ended up putting the myco bag in a blue rubbermaid container with a open thermos of water, and a temp/humidity gauge.  My humidity has averaged btwn. 70-80 percent.  I placed a towel under the lid of the container draped over the sides, and I spray water on the towel once every two or three days to keep up the humidity. The container is outside, as I live in the south, and the humidity outside is at around 85-100 percent. The grain has begun what I believe to be mycelium.  It is growing slowly, but it is starting to pick up some.  It has been about a month since I innoculated.  I would say that 45% of the grain appears to have mycelium on it. Some areas are less dense than others, but there are stringy fibers. I noticed in the last two days while checking on the progress that there was a stagnant smell coming from the myco bag.  Kind of a rancid smell.  Now I looked at the contams page and saw that sour rot/wet spot emits a strong foul odor.  But when I look at the grain, I only see maybe one or two small spots that could be considered wet.  Not really wet,just a little damp.  There is no slime, there are no white perimeters around individual sections of grain.  I bought a seedling tray today with a plastic lid and transferred the myco bag into an open tupperware container to shield it from the small amount of water I am placing at the bottom of the tray.  I have placed the tray on a towel over a heating pad on low.  I have draped a towel over the plastic cover(resembles a small greenhouse)to keep the area dark and moist.  So after much ado, my questions are:

Does B+ strain typically emit an odor? 

Is there a way to rectify this contam if it is wet spot?

Is it harmful to keep growing to see if this eventually goes away as the mycelium continues to grow?

Is there any indication on the physical mushroom that indicates wet spot contamination? 

The problem is that I am not sure of what I am seeing.  Regardless, I would like to at least grow the mushrooms, I don't have to eat them.  It is more about the gratification of watching them grow.  But any info that you masters of this art can offer is very much appreciated. 

Thanks for listening; I am sure you get tired of stupid newbie questions, but I would much prefer talk to people who have tweeked these problems through their own troubleshooting.

Thanks again.

Calla :confused:

--------------------
Calla

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

Re: Foul odor [Re: Callalily8]
    #2997040 - 08/12/04 08:22 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Callalily8 said:

Does B+ strain typically emit an odor?
No cubes [or any other mushrooms for the most part] emit a rancid odor.

Is there a way to rectify this contam if it is wet spot?
Not really. The only pseudo-possible way to deal with it is to excise healthy sections or bury the whole thing. There's no practical way I can think of to eliminate the bacteria inside the bag.

Is it harmful to keep growing to see if this eventually goes away as the mycelium continues to grow?
No. . .but you have to question the fruits that may come from a known contaminated block.

Is there any indication on the physical mushroom that indicates wet spot contamination?
Bacillus [wet spot] generally does not infect the fruits themselves. The fruits may respond to the bacterial insult by growing deformed or aborting early. One possible outcome to this is that the mycelium may take everything over just fine, and the fruits will appear normal. This doesn't necessarily mean everything is OK. . .what you call 'wet spot' may not be 100% Bacillus. There could be a plethora of bacterial species in there giving a wet appearance.

I'd be cautious about consuming something that has fruited from known rancid substrate. There is no harm in waiting it out, but the odds are good that the mycelium will not win this war. Be on the lookout for mold; that's the real deal-breaker in keeping things around for observation.

OfflineCallalily8
A Wee Green Elf
Loc: Tuber
Re: Foul odor [Re: Suntzu]
    #3000752 - 08/13/04 02:45 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

What does burying the bag do? (just out of curiousity.)

--------------------
Calla

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

Re: Foul odor [Re: Callalily8]
    #3002284 - 08/13/04 10:27 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

The healthy parts can be cut from the bag and buried for a gamble at flushing. . .sorry, didn't mean to imply burying the plastic!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Portable Greenhouse

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum