Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store - Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMAGnum
veteran

Catholic Sex Scandal
    #2994959 - 08/12/04 11:27 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

How did the Catholic church sex scandles effect you?

I bet there are some people in here who can step up and share how it made them feel. Did these events shake your faith? Were you a victim? Did it make you never want to be catholic? etc.

Why do you guys think these priests were behaving like this? And what about the clergymen who coverred it up, sending guilty preachers to other churches to repeat thier offences?

This shit personally makes me sick. It shows me that there is nothing special about the Catholic Church and I personally don't ever want to be Catholic. I understand that every organization is corrupt to some extent, but I sure as hell would not raise my kids in a Catholic Church. My opposition to them isn't all because of the sex scandle, I just think they're wrong.

Not just wrong in there beliefs, but wrong in all the bullshit they practice which is outside the Bible.

The Bible teaches that salvation is a free gift from God through Jesus and these fucks got rich off of selling salvation for money at one point. They sold everything, salvation became a document you would buy off of a monk.

If Jesus was in a grave, he'd be rolling in it.

What the hell is a pope? Celebacy of priests nuns and monks? How can they oppose homosexuality if some of the people running the game a strait up gay?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
Re: Catholic Sex Scandal [Re: MAGnum]
    #2995146 - 08/12/04 12:36 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Why do you guys think these priests were behaving like this?

The Catholic church will not allow priests to marry or have a sex life so they tend to attract oddballs. The male domination of religion is so extreme in catholicism that it actually attracts imbalanced individuals.

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

OfflineMAGnum
veteran

Re: Catholic Sex Scandal [Re: Jellric]
    #2995208 - 08/12/04 12:53 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Very fucking well stated, Jellric!

OfflineCyber
Ash
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Yeti Sports

Loc: Dearborn Michigan
    #2995328 - 08/12/04 01:18 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

MAGnum said:
How did the Catholic church sex scandles effect you?

It didn't, It is just par for the course. There are only two differences between now and 100, 300 or 500 years ago. Now the information can travel faster that most people can think. Thus everyone finds out about stuff like this, where as 100 years ago vary few would have heard what had happened.
Ever wonder why houses of prostitution were called nunneries in the 1600's-1800's?

Quote:

Did these events shake your faith? 

No, But then again I am not Catholic, I am not even Christian.

Quote:

Were you a victim? 

Nope, I quit being a victim of Christianity a long time ago.

Quote:

Did it make you never want to be catholic?

No, but Catholicism and Christianity were never for me.

Quote:

Why do you guys think these priests were behaving like this? 

Because they could. It was a decision they made and they will have to live with the consequences. A persons behaver is rarely easy to understand.

Quote:

And what about the clergymen who coverred it up, sending guilty preachers to other churches to repeat their offenses?

What about them? They were doing GOD'S work. :wink: At least I am sure that is what they believe. A repentant priest made his confession and they left the rest in GOD'S hands.

1 John 1:8-10, "If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us."

Thus they commit the sin, confess the sin, and god forgives them. As far as the church is concerned the act is forgiven by God who will lead them on the right path.

Quote:

This shit personally makes me sick.  It shows me that there is nothing special about the Catholic Church and I personally don't ever want to be Catholic.  I understand that every organization is corrupt to some extent, but I sure as hell would not raise my kids in a Catholic Church.  My opposition to them isn't all because of the sex scandal, I just think they're wrong.

There is nothing special about the Catholic, Mormon, Protestant, Babtest, or any other sect of Christianity. They are all people walking a path that they see as the correct one. To each there own.

Quote:

Not just wrong in there beliefs, but wrong in all the bullshit they practice which is outside the Bible.

Now this I find interesting. 99.9% of the beliefs Christianity teaches is out side the Bible. You must realize that the bible is a book. It is a book written by man and man is not perfect.

Romans 3:23 "For  ALL have Sinned and fall short of the Glory of God."

Quote:

What the hell is a pope? 

The term pope or papa originated as a term of endearment for bishops and sometimes even priests. It is a form of the word father. To this day, the eastern Orthodox sometimes give their bishops the title pope. In 1073, Pope Gregory restricted the use of the term in the western Church to the bishops of Rome and their successors in office. He also instituted a number of reforms called the Dictatus Papae that strengthened the papacy. Therefore in western Christian usage, the term pope refers exclusively to the bishop of Rome. The pope is the only member of the Roman Catholic clergy who wears white vestments. Bear in mind, however, that if you read Orthodox documents, or documents written before 1073, the term pope may simply be a courtesy title without reference to the papacy.

Quote:

Celebacy of priests nuns and monks?

The Celibacy comes from Paul's 1st Corinthians. (Paul was Celebat and remained so, believing it showed that self controle was better than burning in hell)

1 Corinthians 7:7    Indeed, I wish everyone to be as I am, but each has a particular gift from God, one of one kind and one of another.
1 Corinthians 7:8    Now to the unmarried and to widows, I say: it is a good thing for them to remain as they are, as I do,
1 Corinthians 7:9    but if they cannot exercise self-control they should marry, for it is better to marry than to be on fire.

Quote:

How can they oppose homosexuality if some of the people running the game a strait up gay?

Leviticus  18:22 Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman; that is detestable.

Leviticus  20:13 If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable.

But they like to ignore

Leviticus 18:18 Take no revenge and cherish no grudge against your fellow countrymen. You shall love your neighbor as yourself. I am the LORD.

and

Leviticus 11:7  The pig, because he has a split hoof, and is cloven-footed, but doesn't chew the cud, he is unclean to you.
Leviticus 11:8  Of their flesh you shall not eat, and their carcasses you shall not touch; they are unclean to you.

So foot ball is am abomination to GOD as per the bible.

Most Christians choose what they wish to believe based on selectively reading the bible. They ignore the stuff they do not want to believe in and preach the stuff they want others to believe in. In doing so they corrupt the concepts of religion. The base concept of all religion is simply "Be Nice To Each Other!" It is man that corrupts this concept. Most religions teach fear instead of love. This is best summed up in "Believe as I do or else ...." and to quote Yoda (more as a joke than anything else)  "Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, and hate leads to the dark side."

Offlinedeff
lovelightbliss
 User Gallery

Loc: all this Flag
    #2995422 - 08/12/04 01:41 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

It made me laugh.

Not at the victims, but just at the hypocracy and irony of these priest's actions. A lot of them seem to maintain a holier-than-thou attitude, when really they are just hornier-than-thou :smile:

--------------------

OfflinePedM
Interested In Your Brain
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada
    #2995475 - 08/12/04 01:57 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

>> The Catholic church will not allow priests to marry or have a sex life so they tend to attract oddballs. The male domination of religion is so extreme in catholicism that it actually attracts imbalanced individuals.

I think it's necessary to expand on this and include that the Catholic Church, in it's patriarchy, has pedestalized God the "Father" as an ultimate and fearsome judge presiding over our thoughts and actions. It's because of this, I think, that there is such an enormous shame element in Catholicism, and why celebacy for Priests is more likely to translate to repression than it is to spiritual practice. There are thousands of Buddhist monks around the world living the celebate monastic lifestyle, and as far as I know none of them have ever been involved in sex crimes; if they have it's certainly not to such a degree that it would embarass the entire Buddhist community on the global stage. It is because celebacy is part of their spiritual life, and no element of Buddhist spiritual living is mixed with guilt or the idea that sexual behaviour is "dirty", or otherwise reprehensible.

Please understand that I don't mean to suggest that Buddhism (as a system of thought) is "better" than Catholicism.

--------------------

:poison: Dark Triangles - New Psychedelic Techno Single - Listen on Soundcloud :poison:
Gyroscope full album available SoundCloud or MySpace

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #2995482 - 08/12/04 01:59 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I think it's just another sign that the Catholic church is on its way out.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Re: Catholic Sex Scandal [Re: silversoul7]
    #2995642 - 08/12/04 02:53 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I don't know if its true, but I heard that the final Fatima prophecy stated that the present pope will be one of the last. Sometimes I think that's why he clings to life as he does.

--------------------

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #2995666 - 08/12/04 03:03 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Actually, I've heard that the next pope after this is supposed to be the last, and his name will be Peter II.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

#2995687 - 08/12/04 03:09 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Full circle eh? Kind of like the founder of Rome being named Romulus and the last emperor bearing the same name. Very fitting.

--------------------

Offlinedeff
lovelightbliss
 User Gallery

#2995692 - 08/12/04 03:10 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I'm surprised people still view the Pope as a religious authority figure at all. The idea seems ridiculous to me, but maybe I'm missing something...

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #2996017 - 08/12/04 04:31 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I was a devout altar boy. Does that explain anything?

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Offlinedeff
lovelightbliss
 User Gallery

Re: Catholic Sex Scandal [Re: Swami]
    #2996120 - 08/12/04 05:00 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

You poor boy :smile:

--------------------

Offlinespread8out
rescue toaster

Loc: Tennessee
    #2998147 - 08/13/04 12:58 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

i'm a cradle catholic and have, sadly, only recently been able to break away from the guilt that the institution has instilled into me spiritually. i used to fall into a depression that would stem from my misunderstanding of faith. i felt that i needed to have a closer connection to god, and it felt wrong to even question the church when i felt that something was missing. such a ridiculous feeling. well, now that i've cleared that up i can see the church in a new light.
i saddens me to see the struggle going on in the catholic church. every sunday i see beautiful people coming together, searching for that feeling. that oneness. looking for god. it makes me happy to see that some people are able to do this through such a corrupt institution as the catholic church. but many of these people have been raised catholic all their lives and continue going/searching because of that lake of fire waiting for all of us sinners.
now, back on topic. once a bishop of the knoxville diocese, anthony o?connell, admitted to sexually abusing minors. this had a serious affect on my church, which is a part of the diocese. this bishop played a very important role in my priest's life and affected him in a very serious way. my priest even went to so far as to tell us that without him, he may not have become a priest. my priest and i'm sure many other priests in the knoxville community were pretty fucked up after that. our diocese went through a period of healing. i remember them also telling us often during homilies (our homilies were mostly focused on this topic at the time), 'the bad he did does not undo the good that he did for all of us'.
i'm not going to go into much more detail on what i think is the current position of the catholic church or describe what i think about how they've dealt with these "afflictions". to be honest i didn't really put much thought into my church's take on everything that went down with the bishop. all i could do was pray for my priest. that's some heavy shit to deal with.

Edited by spread8out (08/13/04 01:17 AM)

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #2999162 - 08/13/04 05:47 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

"Boy all this energy spent trying to keep people from having sex is exausting - now I know how the catholic church feels! BAH-ZING!"

Stewie Griffin, Family Guy

"Why do you guys think these priests were behaving like this? And what about the clergymen who coverred it up, sending guilty preachers to other churches to repeat thier offences?"

You are treating this like it doesn't happen anymore, rofl... Don't be that blind - they're naturally covering it up way better now that the media finally freaked out on them.

What a bunch of fucking dumbasses they are, IMO. Sure are good businessmen though.

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Offlinespread8out
rescue toaster

Loc: Tennessee
Re: Catholic Sex Scandal [Re: Strumpling]
    #3000148 - 08/13/04 12:43 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

i understand why the catholic church gets the most attention, but there are just as many if not more cases of molestation in other denominations around the US.

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

#3001073 - 08/13/04 03:54 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

It only confirmed what I all ready knew

--------------------
What it is, is what it is my Brother.
It is as it is, so suffer thru it.

Invisiblechinadoll
there
 User Gallery

Loc: dark side of terrapin
    #3001670 - 08/13/04 06:14 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

One of the priests in our parish was sent away about 2 years ago. He returned last June because the powers that be found there was insufficient evidence. He is back in the parish, running the altar servers. Thank God my kids dropped out of altar servers years before. Many in the parish welcomed his return, I did not.

Invisiblevampirism
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#3001805 - 08/13/04 07:02 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I was raised Catholic, but never really a Catholic.

The scandal only taught me how people blow things out of proportion. What the fuck do you think priests are? Special, holy beings? No shit they're human, even if they have a "calling" to the job.

"BLOW THINGS OUT OF PROPORTION!?!?!?!"
Yes. I agree that abusing little boys and covering it up may be a bad idea. Having it become the top news scandal for many months and having it pervade most media is, however, blowing things out of proportion. People committed crimes, and they will be treated accordingly. That is all.

Another thing it confirmed was that Americans are especially ... odd fellows. Such abuse has not happened in Europe. No, not that it just hasn't been found out - Europeans would skin a priest like that alive. In America, the priest may be taken to jail for a while. America never was, and never will be Catholic.

A pope is there as a leader to bring Catholics together. He should resolve disputes and make any decisions - that is all. This keeps the Catholic faith Catholic.

Remember now, I'm not Catholic.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #3003238 - 08/14/04 03:15 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Let the priests get laid every now and again and the weirdos will sift out.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology