Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Grow Light, HPS, Peruvian Torch, Portable Greenhouse, San Pedro

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineHerbanShaman
I am the Walrus

Loc: Everywhere and Nowhere
San Pedro and other succulents
    #2993423 - 08/12/04 12:04 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I'm interested in trying to grow some type of succulent but unsure if I'd ever be able to make that a reality. I live in a temperate climate so it would have to deal with living inside with me. I know that I could set up a mini-greenhouse for it to help with temperature but I'm not sure If I could ever give it the amount of light it really needed. Furthermore I've heard some of my relatives say that back west people were digging up plants that took 20+ years just to reach maturity with no regard for thier future. I'd like advice on what the best plant to grow would be, if any. I'm also interested in learning if there are any groups that sell cuttings and are also concerned about sustainable harvest. I don't want to support someone who rapes the land for thier own good. I should point out that I'm not interested in using HPS lights, or anything else of that magnitude. If it can be done with smaller lamps somehow that would be great. If anyone has experience in this feild I'd love to hear your advice.

--------------------
"There is a world beyond ours, a world that is far away, nearby, and invisible. And there is where God lives, where the dead live, the spirits and the saints, a world where everything has already happened and everything is known. That world talks. It has a language of its own. I report what it says. The sacred mushroom takes me by the hand and brings me to the world where everything is known. It is they, the sacred mushrooms, that speak in a way I can understand. I ask them and they answer me. When I return from the trip that I have taken with them, I tell what they have told me and what they have shown me."
-- Mazatec shaman

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinekoppie
astral projectile
Male

Loc: cloud hidden
Re: San Pedro and other succulents [Re: HerbanShaman]
    #2994405 - 08/12/04 04:02 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

If you have a window that gets some sun, then there is no problem. Just put your cactus on the windowsill and it will be fine. Your best bet are Trichocereus cacti (San Pedro and relatives) My Peruvian torches took five years from a packet of seeds to invading the whole house. If you start with a couple of small plants, and you have a green thumb, you may have big plants in less time. If you plan on growing peyote, plan for a long wait. I grow mine purely for ornamental reasons, since it will take many years of good care, and after all that time, I simply can't bring myself to decapitate it.

Good luck with growing.

Offlinefelixhigh
KIA
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ly
    #2994634 - 08/12/04 08:11 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

you can grow them under fluoros 24/7 indoors.
sprout the lophophoras, graft.

FH

Offlinekoppie
astral projectile
Male

Loc: cloud hidden
Re: San Pedro and other succulents [Re: felixhigh]
    #2994718 - 08/12/04 09:06 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Good point. I didn't mention grafting because I have very little personal experience with it.

But to prove that it isn't all that hard, here is a picture of my first graft of a lophophora pup to a myrtillocactus geometrizans. Yes, that miserable clump of cells really grew to a decent little cactus in little over 2 months.

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Loc: El Paso, TX Flag
Re: San Pedro and other succulents [Re: koppie]
    #2994774 - 08/12/04 09:55 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Get some cuttings off ebay, logs work fine because they put out pups. Logs are also perfect for grafting onto. Also buy some pedro and other cacti seeds to play with.

Get your hands on some Pereskiopsis plants because there the best rootstock, this guy should have more but there only 3" not as shown in the pic. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...me=STRK:MEWA:IT

OfflineHerbanShaman
I am the Walrus

Loc: Everywhere and Nowhere
Re: San Pedro and other succulents [Re: Gr0wer]
    #2996175 - 08/12/04 05:12 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Ok so my tentative plan is to get some Peresiopsis to use as rootstock (what I graft onto right?). Using this I will graft Trichocereus cuttings onto them. Does this sound right? Do you have a pic to show what you mean when you say log? How is a log different from a cutting, that's a more accurate question I guess. I'm also going to get some peruvian torch seeds, or if I an afford it cutting of those too. Can I graft both species to the Peresiopsis? What kind of cost can I expect? When I get this project going I plan on spending at most a $100, does that sound reasonable. I already have planters, and a few flourescent grow lights. What temperatures do these plants like? Can they withstand house temps of 70-80, with spikes of a bit colder now and then? I will probably end up setting them up a small greenhouse to help them out and make them look pretty. Thankyou for all your advice thus far.

--------------------
"There is a world beyond ours, a world that is far away, nearby, and invisible. And there is where God lives, where the dead live, the spirits and the saints, a world where everything has already happened and everything is known. That world talks. It has a language of its own. I report what it says. The sacred mushroom takes me by the hand and brings me to the world where everything is known. It is they, the sacred mushrooms, that speak in a way I can understand. I ask them and they answer me. When I return from the trip that I have taken with them, I tell what they have told me and what they have shown me."
-- Mazatec shaman

InvisibleHarveyWalbanger
Demiurge
Male

Loc: 8b
    #2996300 - 08/12/04 05:43 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

pereskiopsis is good for seedlings, but for good grafting material of established plants, selenicereus has my vote.

--------------------

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Loc: El Paso, TX Flag
Re: San Pedro and other succulents [Re: HarveyWalbanger]
    #2996852 - 08/12/04 07:45 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Logs are just sections of cacti with no growth tip anywhere from 10-16". You can buy a large cutting and chop in half or 3 sections then root the bottom and allow the fesh cut part to calus over then plant that too.

You should make it with $100, thats enought to buy the pereskiopsis, a species or two of cuttings, peyote and misc seeds.

With the pereskiopsis, buy 1-4 plants and propigate them. Clone the tops so they throw out 2-3 more branches to clone. I just got mine in the mail and planted it two days ago. I can already see fast growth. They are gret for peyote but work just as well for pedros if you give em support or transplant so the rootstock is below soil level.
http://www.mushmush.nl/?page=home\gallery\cacti

Trade seeds to get what you need. I ordered 1000 tr. pachanoi seeds so i can easily send 50 your way when they come.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Grow Light, HPS, Peruvian Torch, Portable Greenhouse, San Pedro

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden