Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
FAQ 5. I'm tripping for the first time, what do I need to know?
    #2974594 - 08/07/04 02:41 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Tripper's FAQ

5. I am tripping for the first time, what do I need to know?

Well, this is a big one.

Some good links will be required (Shroomery links are best). Since the topic is so wide open, I will not suggest much... although I think another link to Leary's "The Psychadellic Experience" will be required within this essay.

What do you think?

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Re: FAQ I'm tripping for the first time, what do I need to k [Re: Rose]
    #2989526 - 08/11/04 02:04 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

From http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/25191

A Beginner's Approach to Psychedelic Mushrooms
An Approach to Mushrooms for Beginners
Written by lookingfora
Editor's Notes by geokills
p.s. by Cervantes

I was looking over the trip logs and surprised by the number of beginners who had level 4 trips early in their mushroom experience and who were freaked out by the experience (bad trips). I honestly think mental harm could come from inappropriate mushroom usage, and too much effect with too little experience is very overwhelming (that?s experience speaking).

So I put together this approach to taking mushrooms.

I don?t have a lot of experience, having only tripped three times. I know what I didn?t do right at first and through my limited experience have had two excellent trips after my first one which was quite a bit too much.

If you?ve only drunk alcohol and smoked marijuana then the mushroom will be the most powerful drug you have taken. By a long shot. A trip is an experience unlike anything you have ever done.

When you are initially learning the experience of mushrooms you don?t be able to do much. I work with computers and can hardly get Winamp working while the mushrooms are in effect. Your motor skills will be greatly impaired. This inability to function will pass after a couple of trips once the general effects are learned (unless the level of the trip is too high).

The effects of mushrooms at level 2 and higher can be very unexpected. On my first trip I went well into level 4 or 5 and found that reliving 15 years of my life in one instant throws me off just a bit. It was quite scary, but an amazing learning experience afterwards. Losing time and self can be quite uncomfortable.*

Now then, the approach.

The key to good first trips is set and setting. Don?t plan on going out while tripping the first time, that would be very stressful. Plan to stay in, rent an IMAX DVD if you get a chance, they are excellent. Plan on listening to music, it?s amazing (Blue Man Group blows my mind). Just enjoy the experience in a very low stress environment. Having a couple of other people tripping with you is cool, but know them well.** Trip during a time period when you would be awake, no need to stress the body out because I don?t consider sleeping an option during a trip (I can feel very tired, but very awake at the same time).

I don?t drink alcohol while tripping (I do otherwise). I do smoke marijuana which does help with nausea.

I would recommend taking 1.5 to 2 grams of dried mushroom the first time (don?t do 35 grams wet like I did, that?s a little too much). By the second or third time you can try 3 grams, but expect much more pronounced effects. Again, keep the set and setting under control until you are used to the effects (you won?t be able to fully control them, but you can have an idea of what to expect).

The effects of the mushroom will kick in between 20 minutes to an hour and after about six hours you should be pretty much normal (possibly a bit confused with some strange memory fragments). Take these timeframes into account, your set and setting should be relaxing or not overwhelming the whole time.***

I had mushrooms with orange juice the first time and it was downright awful. Now I take them in gelatin capsules, haven?t had a problem with nausea and am able to eat regularly during the trip (don?t eat for a couple of hours before tripping, I still had nausea when I started with a full stomach, not pleasant).****

That?s it. I found my third trip to be the best yet (not the most meaningful, my first trip was a self finding experience) in terms of accepting the effects of the trip. I was able to control the tired feeling; I just forced myself to move around and my energy came back.

I take mushrooms for self exploration (which I did at length the first time) and for recreational purposes (it?s fun). I will trip at most every two weeks, I like to let my brain rest. Mushrooms are as ?hard? as I will go with drugs.

I?ve also started reading books on psychedelics to get the historical perspective. Mushrooms are powerful and I?m finding the information very entertaining.

I?d also like to thank the Shroomery, it is an indisensible informational community. I haven?t posted much but I have read a ton and it is appreciated.

Editor Notes:

* While the alien nature (with respect to unaltered reality of everyday life) of the psychedelic experience can be daunting, it is important to remember that your body will finish metabolizing the substance you have ingested, and provided you didn't supplement your dose with other strong substances, there has been no evidence of death due to psiloc(yb)in mushroom consumption alone. The point being, if you're wondering when the trip will end, simply take solace in the fact that it will in fact end and things will again be normal. There isn't much use in attempting to talk yourself out of a trip, so for the sake of your well being just go with the flow and experience the magic. Slow and deliberate breathing with calming background music is a great way to relax the tension should you begin to feel uncomfortable in the midst of your trip.

** It is also important to recognize that one can become very vulnerable on a psychedelic voyage. For this reason, it is very important that in choosing trip-partners, you choose very wisely. Ensure this/these person(s) are true friends who understand you and accept you regardless of your behavior.

*** Set & Setting truly are the most important factors in influencing an experience. Take care to find an environment which suits your tastes and makes you feel at ease. You will also want to ensure that you are dosing on a clear mind and not taking these drugs to escape from any problems you might have. Some experienced psychonauts may wish to delve into a trip to confront their issues head on, but for a first timer this is strongly discouraged! Bottom line is that it is important to feel good going into the experience, so prepare yourself mentally and physically by getting some good rest beforehand, perhaps eating a healthy meal the morning of (or 2-3 hours before ingestion), and ensure there are no pressing emotional barriers that might prevent you having a pleasant experience. Happy Tripping! =]

p.s. Also, try these links:

http://www.erowid.org/library/books_online/psychedelic_experience/psychedelic_experience.shtml
This link is gold, Timothy Leary's Psychadellic Experience ONLINE!!! A must read! The Psychadellic Experience is the closest thing to a tripping handbook as there is.

and

Erowid's Psychadellic Experience FAQ: http://www.erowid.org/psychoactives/faqs/psychedelic_experience_faq.shtml
Very helpful info for first timers as well as a good, easy to read introduction to Timothy Leary.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
    #2990262 - 08/11/04 08:20 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Things are starting to get crowded here with all these Tripper's FAQs...what are the chances of a new forum temporarily being made just for the creation of the FAQ?

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

Offlinebarfightlard
tales of theinexpressible
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia
Re: FAQ I'm tripping for the first time, what do I need to k [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #2990916 - 08/11/04 11:40 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

No shit. go away

--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
Re: FAQ I'm tripping for the first time, what do I need to k [Re: barfightlard]
    #2990948 - 08/11/04 11:46 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Jeez man Cervantes is organizing a huge service to all trippers, why be rude? It's not "get the fuck out of Trip Tips" it's "this is really useful enough to have its own category."

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

Offlinebarfightlard
tales of theinexpressible
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia
Re: FAQ I'm tripping for the first time, what do I need to k [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #2990989 - 08/11/04 11:59 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

why doesn't he sticky them

--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Re: FAQ I'm tripping for the first time, what do I need to k [Re: barfightlard]
    #2991260 - 08/11/04 01:17 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah, these posts will be a bit messy, but these threads will be a very helpful resource once the FAQ is written. Each essay will have a link to its corisponding thread. These threads will be a great way to keep the Tripper's FAQ up to date and to see what the community knows most about... and where it still needs more information.

These threads will keep the tripper's faq from stagnating.

Sure it will get crowdded in here for a little while... but think long term. After this is done, when sombody asks a question in here that has been asked 5,000,000 times, we can just link them to the Tripper's FAQ.

Until we have a fleshed out, Tripper's FAQ, I think it is important that the community look at these questions one at a time... who knows... we might learn something in the process.

I'm still figuring the best way to do this... I'm thinking 5-7 new FAQ questions/threads a week... because that seems to be a pace I can work at (and it won't crowd the board too much)... so we should not have TOO many FAQ threads in here at once.

Nothing wrong with the folks in here working on their FAQ for the next little while.

As for using another forum, I tried that... this is the best forum for this project... and the feedback in this forum is incredible.

Thanks for your help.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

OfflineOuchITripped
|E|C|S|T|A|C|Y| ~ ~ ~My Anti-Drug~

Loc: Dallas, TX
    #2995321 - 08/12/04 11:16 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

The first thing a First-time tripper needs to know, You need to trip in a SAFE environment, IE. not with your parent's downstairs, and think you can trip in your room, another thing that goes along with this, u don't need to make a trip room, or get a bunch of crap lights to look at to "intrigue" you or any bs like that, When I trip this is so uninteresting to me, it's scary, all I wanna do is go explore, and i'm sure you guys' parent's wouldn't appreciate you crawling into their room commando-style at 3am. b/c you saw your cat run in there and it got under the covers, and Jumping on their bed from like 5 feet away and saying "THE FUCKING BEDS SKIN HAS BUGS UNDER IT LIKE IN THE MUMMY! I GOT THE FUCKER THOUGH"... this is bad, don't let it happen to u!

--------------------
If mushrooms grew in my house, and I could smoke in here, i'd have no reason to go outside?
-Brock D. 2004 (that's me)
---------------------------------------------------
if you feel like your gonna puke just go ahead and puke
you'll feel much better afterwards.
sometimes its fun, as long as it doesn't come out your nose, that sucks
-Sherm (from the shroomery)

Better smilies coming soon! By suffer
---------------------------------------------------

OfflineSHR00MiN
PSYCH0PSiL0CYBiN

Loc: RI
    #2999463 - 08/13/04 07:27 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

How could you have a bad trip?

I know for my first trips, they were incredibly awesome.

My first trip was level 4, I ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT.

My second was so very close to being a level 5, and it was BETTER THAN MY FIRST! Everything I saw was red with lines popping out everywhere and I couldnt even talk right..

HOW CAN YOU HAVE A BAD TRIP? ITS IMPOSSIBLE..

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: FAQ I'm tripping for the first time, what do I need to know? [Re: Rose]
    #3000386 - 08/13/04 11:25 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

My advice to a first time tripper would be to trust the mushrooms. They've been helping mankind for thousands of years. Let go, empty your mind and let the mushroom teach you what it wants.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Re: FAQ I'm tripping for the first time, what do I need to k [Re: SHR00MiN]
    #3001930 - 08/13/04 05:53 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Bad trips are very possible... every trip is not a great trip. The more you know about tripping before you trip, the more tools you will have to avoid bad trips. But you should also know what to do if you do get caught in a bad trip.

Good and Bad trips are in the eye of the beholder. Thinking, not mushrooms make a trip good or bad.

Knowing how to trip, reading "The Psychadellic Experience" by Timothy Leary, reading a bunch of trip reports can give tools to help avoid a bad trip. Basically, Leary advises us to "Go with the flow." instead of struggling with the trip. Most bad trips happen when a person tries to control or manipulate their trip... rather than allowing their trip to do what it does.

Once you know what you are doing while tripping, the chances of putting yourself in a situation which might make a trip seem bad become far less likely. Still, as in life, anything can happen during a trip. While tripping, the unexpected can sometimes be hard to deal with. Often times, an unexpected event can change your mindset and turn a good trip South.

If you know what you are doing, and everything goes as planned, you have very little chance of a bad trip.

Bad trips are FAR less common than good trips (for MOST mentally stable people)... but they do happen and they can happen to anyone, so it is good to know what to do if/when you have one.

Thinking you will never have a bad trip is like thinking you will never be in a car accident. In both cases, driving and tripping, things tend to go as they should. Unexpected events do happen though, so it is best to be prepared and wear your seatbelt.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Re: FAQ 5. I'm tripping for the first time, what do I need to know? [Re: Rose]
    #3447882 - 12/04/04 10:05 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

5. I am tripping for the first time, what do I need to know?

Here's the answer we have so far. Thanks Schortz and BlinkIdiot and Geokills for your help with the answer.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

OfflineZirus666
Shpongled.

Loc: U.K.
    #3448977 - 12/05/04 05:32 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Cervantes said:Thinking you will never have a bad trip is like thinking you will never be in a car accident. In both cases, driving and tripping, things tend to go as they should. Unexpected events do happen though, so it is best to be prepared and wear your seatbelt.

Well said :smile:

--------------------
Spotted dowhaters shpongled trollywognogs!
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Go on! Make a sentance I dare ya! eheheh
If you like UO www.novusopiate.com

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder