Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineIAmTheWalrus212
LIL WEEZY
Male User Gallery

Loc: ?
Has Anyone Tried This Before? (Like Karo but not really)
    #2990148 - 08/11/04 09:36 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

My friend yesterday suggested an idea he was going to use to make his jars last a while. He said that upon fully colonizing a cake, he would split it in two and put the two halves in seperate jars with substrate in them. Then the myc would take over the 2, then split and get 4, 8, 16, and so on.

Would this work? I didn't really think about it when he told me, but now that I do, would the mycelium be damaged or "screwed up" at all due to the increased colonization activity it will be put through, rather than pinning?

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblemycopsycho
Tit Inspector.
Male
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Going Nowhere Fast
Re: Has Anyone Tried This Before? (Like Karo but not really) [Re: IAmTheWalrus212]
    #2990196 - 08/11/04 09:53 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

i'm assuming that this has been done before. however there are easier ways of going about multiplying your resources.

--------------------
I Am The Sickness.

Diploid: I think adults have a right to make stupid decisions and it's nobody else's fucking business.

Offlinekoppie
astral projectile
Male

Loc: cloud hidden
Re: Has Anyone Tried This Before? (Like Karo but not really) [Re: IAmTheWalrus212]
    #2990281 - 08/11/04 10:26 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I've never heard of people doing it with cakes, but it's done all the time with whole grain substrate. Do a search for g2g or grain to grain transfer.

OfflineOpenminded
Dicotyledon

Loc: England.
Re: Has Anyone Tried This Before? (Like Karo but not really) [Re: koppie]
    #2991029 - 08/11/04 02:12 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Only problem I can see would be increased contam risk with each division... although I have also heard that myc loses vigour if it's cloned too much.
It's something that I'm going to try after the mushmush grow kit I won has done its first flush. I'll use the old substrate to inoc a few more jars for invitro, maybe try some casings, and make some clones from the mushroom stems. I figured that since it was free I can afford to play around a bit, and hopefully get some valuble experience!
Since it's using myc, I should be able to have a bit (0.1%, maybe?) of hydrogen peroxide in the substrates to help fight off contams, and I assume I could also wash the myc with dilute peroxide before transfering it. Is that true? I expect the myc would grow slower, but will it grow well enough? I haven't read about using peroxide in the whole substrate before, so I'm not sure :confused:.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Has Anyone Tried This Before? (Like Karo but not really) [Re: Openminded]
    #2992765 - 08/11/04 09:05 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

The further along the generations you go the less the myc is gonna want to work. Thats the point of liquid cultures is you make enough solution to do 1000 jars at once using the same generation of myc so no degredation. You dont need that much myc for a transfer either. You can do 2 dozen quarts with one quart. I'm guessing you mean half pints but still you should be able to get half a dozen out of that.

There would be no increased risk of contams with each division, everytime you do a transfer there is equal risk and it should be done in a very sterile environment (glove box not needed but very sterile is needed) to minimize this risk. Peroxide could be used in the new substrate but most grains (most anything organic produces enzymes that will break it down, like myc does) will react to it so it really wont work, it shouldnt be needed either way.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation