Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Outback Jack
    #2989336 - 08/11/04 01:21 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

This is one of those TV "reality" shows in which a dozen or so spoiled-rotten city beauties try to win the heart of an allegedly genuine Australian adventurer (part Radar O'Reilly "aw shucks" down-home sentimentality; part Colin Farrell charisma and looks).

Each and every female interviewed after the first few episodes, speaks of a deep soul-mate connection with Jack as if it was mysteriously fated for them to be together. Each in turn (except fot the last one) gets her widdle heart broken.

Case in point: (NO! NO! Not Swami's bad taste in television viewing) is that any sufficiently powerful happening or feeling is frequently overlayed with mysticism. Whether if be a climbing adventure, a sexual or romantic encounter or tripping; any sufficiently powerful experience is seen as evidence of an unseen world.

The results of Outback Jack basically are testimony that any two young, healthy, handsome/beautiful members of the opposite sex are likely to be attracted to one another and certainly speaks of the falsehood of mysterious soul connections that most ALL the girls ascribed to. Will they drop this erroneous belief after this episode? Hell, no! That is the "beauty" of the irrational mind.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Edited by Swami (08/11/04 01:29 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis
 User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
Re: Outback Jack [Re: Swami]
    #2989363 - 08/11/04 01:27 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

"any sufficiently powerful happening or feeling is frequently overlayed with mysticism. Whether if be a clinbing adventure, a sexual or romantic encounter or tripping; any sufficiently powerful experience is seen as evidence of an unseen world."

what you are describing are called 'peak experiences' we all have a few, and they are just that, peaks in our lives. That means that for us, they are evidence of a level of experience never before known, and therefore they are indeed evidence of an 'unseen' world, at least, unseen until we have the experience.

For example, the first time you make love, you are indeed entering for the first time into a whole realm of experience you never before could have imagined. (well you can imagine it, but it sure aint the same)

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Outback Jack [Re: Moonshoe]
    #2989390 - 08/11/04 01:34 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

That is my point: different doesn't have to mean mystical. It seems the pleasure factor must be added: very different + pleasurable = mystical! I have never heard of anyone over-eating hot chiles for the first time speaking of a mystical experience because there was no pleasure involved.

--------------------

InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis
 User Gallery

#2989415 - 08/11/04 01:40 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

cant say i agree on that. A huge number of 'mystical' experiences are unpleasant, such as seeing a demon or devil, or hell, or being beaten up by the datura fairy. In addition, a huge number of traditions use extreme unpleasantness to induce the mystical experieance, such as native americans who fasted and endured unshelterd sun, insect bites and self mutilation to have visions, or another tribe that hung themselves from trees with hooks for the same reason.

Offlinedeff
just love everyone
 User Gallery

Loc: clarity Flag
    #2989416 - 08/11/04 01:40 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Or, the show was scripted and the producers figured that style of writing would win the whiny sappy teenage girl crowd... and Swami. I'm surprised you believed in the factuality of these people without any background evidence or prior proof on the matter. Are you drunk?1

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Outback Jack [Re: deff]
    #2989557 - 08/11/04 02:14 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

This show (as are most Reality shows) are partly scripted and partly spontaneous.
I was not just basing my observations on this, but on a lifetime of watching people speak of soulmates and true love and and then seeing them fall apart (with the rare exception) once the mating ritual magic (pheremones and hormones) was gone.

--------------------

InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis
 User Gallery

#2989579 - 08/11/04 02:21 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

saying love is nothing more than pheremones and hormones is like saying an atomic submarine is nothing but metallic atoms. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

Also, how can we know that we arent confusing cause and effect? which is to say, how do we know that pheremone and hormone release CAUSES emotions like love, and not the other way around?

(this is a different topic now)

Offlinedeff
just love everyone
 User Gallery

Loc: clarity
    #2989580 - 08/11/04 02:21 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Well you should have included that in your original statement.

</swami>

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Outback Jack [Re: Moonshoe]
    #2989601 - 08/11/04 02:28 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Also, how can we know that we arent confusing cause and effect?

Because 11 of the 12 women were DEAD wrong about the whole love/spiritual connection thang. Yes, this is a small sample size, but I believe it indicative of western notions of "love".

--------------------

Offlinedeff
just love everyone
 User Gallery

Loc: clarity Flag
    #2989620 - 08/11/04 02:34 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

So because some women were wrong on a decidely scripted broadcast television program... humanity is failed?

Although, I have to agree with you on the notion of love. It is a lot more one sided than people will have themselves believe.

--------------------

OfflineLizard_King
Twisted from theother side ofDeath
Male
Loc: Vansterdam
    #2989629 - 08/11/04 02:37 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

12 people is a small sample size. Far too small to be indicative of any trends in western notions. I mean, if you want to know what a nation is thinking do you ask 12 random cute girls or might you want a frame of reference just a touch wider?

Edited by Lizard_King (08/11/04 02:39 AM)

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Outback Jack [Re: Lizard_King]
    #2989644 - 08/11/04 02:43 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Well, 12 is enough for one night these days. I am getting on in years...  :crazy:

--------------------

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
    #2991041 - 08/11/04 12:15 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

"Women are irrational, that's all there is to that.
Their heads are full of cotton, hay and rags."
- Professor Henry Higgins

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #2991297 - 08/11/04 01:32 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

mysticism relies on speculation, which is more or less theoretical rather than practical. 

In EVERY relationship you get into, it's speculation...that's half the fun swami. 

what...you don think there's a soulmate out there for you swami??  :heart:

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Outback Jack [Re: kaiowas]
    #2991506 - 08/11/04 02:28 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

what...you don think there's a soulmate out there for you swami??

Why would I think that? Do you think there is a perfect apple out there for you or will most any do to sustain you?

Every healthy man can mate with every healthy woman. One size fits all.

Can you see evolution coming to a halt? Male Zebra #13812 to Female Zebra #4408, "I can't mate with you as you are not "the one"".

--------------------

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

#2991597 - 08/11/04 02:44 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I was just kidding with you swam :lol:

"Every healthy man can mate with every healthy woman. "

a relationship is way more than just mating.  I tend to think we are more than just animals

"Do you think there is a perfect apple out there for you or will most any do to sustain you?"

I don't look for one to sustain me heh.  it's more important to be the right person than to look for the right person. 

I have a personality though, and there are certain people that work much better with my personality than others.  does this mean there is one that is a meant to be? that if I get out my star chart and ask around that I'll find her?  lol no.  but every little bit helps.

the more connections the better.  like I said, part of the fun is the speculation, where the magic comes in.  love and magic are key together.

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

Invisiblepsyka
Praetorian
 User Gallery

#2991629 - 08/11/04 02:53 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Buddha would have a hard time picking up a chick, I guarantee you that :smile:

--------------------
As the life of a candle,
my wick will burn out.
But, the fire of my mind
shall beam into infinite.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#2991648 - 08/11/04 02:59 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

a relationship is way more than just mating
Uh huh, but what starts it off? Why would you go out of your way to meet a sexy woman instead of of an ugly one? Can you tell ahead of time that the sexier one has a more compatable "personality"?

Why do people fall in love more frequently in college than in the retirement community? Could it be SEXUAL ATTRACTION?

I tend to think we are more than just animals...
Because...?

--------------------

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

#2991782 - 08/11/04 03:20 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

"Uh huh, but what starts it off?"

many factors, one being sexual attraction, it's not the only reason though.

"Why would you go out of your way to meet a sexy woman instead of of an ugly one?"

I've met some very gorgeous women that weren't very sexy. I mean I guess if you just want to act on impulse sure it's the attraction. Lots of times, its what the other person does. everyone is different

for example, the majority of the relationships I've been in did not involve an initial attraction. I was more attracted by who they were rather than looks, and this was by interacting with them over time. yeah my very first relationships was for dead on beauty, but as I got older I realized there was way more to the equation that just their figure.

"because...?"

hmmm...thinking about htis closer, do you think we are the only creatures to use logic? to have abstract concepts?

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#2991856 - 08/11/04 03:38 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

do you think we are the only creatures to use logic? to have abstract concepts?

How can one possibly know what goes on in the minds of other animals? (Please - no Pet Psychic stories).

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds