Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinebent
bent1

Loc: ny
Liquid Mycelium - Could contams lurk and not be visible?
    #2947226 - 07/31/04 01:20 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

If I have some beutiful mycelium grown out in honey water, and there is no contams in the water or on the liquid mycelium but I injected 5 bags of popcorn that were contam free for over 2 weeks and each of them is starting to develop green mold. what are the chancces the green mold is lying in the liquid mycelium and it was not an error on my part of procedures. i know the grain was not contam'd it came either from my injecting the bags or it was in the liquid mycelium. 5 out of 5 bags i would guess its in the liquid mycelium.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinebent
bent1

Loc: ny
Re: Liquid Mycelium - Could contams lurk and not be visible? [Re: bent]
    #2947230 - 07/31/04 01:21 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

also there are many water droplets in the popcorn bags since i have put them in incubation, maybe that is the cause of the green mold. how can i prevent them for forming water droplets in the incubator. these are roughly 5qt bags with filter patch

OfflineKillBill
Quick Learner
    #2949917 - 07/31/04 08:09 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I have two karo jars with now, Both have gray growth in them with black dots or other crap floating around too, i'm worried about contams, but i'm going to try inocculating anyway

Invisiblebotanisthype
P$ylocibe$ounDW@vE!
Male User Gallery

Loc: DECEPTICON MANOR
Re: Liquid Mycelium - Could contams lurk and not be visible? [Re: KillBill]
    #2954714 - 08/02/04 12:57 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

dude ..those are contams.
IM also doin a honey jar . of b++'s ..and i got a shit load of pure Whitish grey fuzz,....< i havent had contams.in honey yet,but i get the same probs with karo... black specs.with fuzz around it...its contam. they grow much faster and look like nasty lil shitz! start again. pc 30 min. 2 ccs spores

--------------------
Please +REP if i've been of any help... thanks!!!

Dinosaur of the Funny Family, though I have short arms, they fit in my GB... lol

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
Re: Liquid Mycelium - Could contams lurk and not be visible? [Re: botanisthype]
    #2980648 - 08/09/04 06:18 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Try using PD, PDY, or ME liquid media, they work much better.

-FF

Invisiblemycopsycho
Tit Inspector.
Male
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Going Nowhere Fast
    #2980784 - 08/09/04 08:11 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

if you are worried about contams in your liquid media i suggest you start a liquid jar like you usually would and let the myc grow a little. once you have a nice chunk of growth, transfer a little bit to another liquid jar with some antibiotic in the mixture. if you are still getting contamination then your problem is your sterile procedures.

--------------------
I Am The Sickness.

Diploid: I think adults have a right to make stupid decisions and it's nobody else's fucking business.

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: Liquid Mycelium - Could contams lurk and not be visible? [Re: fastfred]
    #2981904 - 08/09/04 01:57 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

fastfred said:

-FF

how much better?

i fail to see how the concoctions you listed could possibly provide better visibility.

i'd also be rather impressed if they offered faster colonisation over typical honeywater.

how do you go about determining the proper water to nutrient ratios?

maybe your just implying that the suggested medias offer higher resistance to contamination?

IME, those medias are reserved for agar...

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
    #2982178 - 08/09/04 03:01 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

fastfred said:

-FF

Clear Karo works awesome easy to spot contams which really isn't so easy :wink: and provide for excellent myc growth which btw you don't want to accelerate too much especially if storing for any length of time. For me it's the perfect balance :laugh:

Invisiblemycopsycho
Tit Inspector.
Male
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Liquid Mycelium - Could contams lurk and not be visible? [Re: hyphae]
    #2982240 - 08/09/04 03:16 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

one word......... malt

--------------------
I Am The Sickness.

Diploid: I think adults have a right to make stupid decisions and it's nobody else's fucking business.

OfflineKillBill
Quick Learner
Re: Liquid Mycelium - Could contams lurk and not be visible? [Re: mycopsycho]
    #2983296 - 08/09/04 07:39 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I made some honey jars recently, most of them have little or no signs of Activity, but one after only two full days in the incubator has a dime quarter Sized almost rounded gray growth, it looks like a little ball of cotton and i can almost see through it, any suggestions as to if its a contam or myc?

Those karo jars i talked about i used to inocculate 3 wbs jars, i found out later on that their water ratio SUCKED and they werent' cooked right so i threw them out but there was small (and very stalled) growth on some of the substrate and no contams. also i tried recently with those old karo jars i posted about (yeah they're still sittin in the 'bator) to inocculate 4 popcorn jars, and hopefully since i have hte water content right i'll see some action. i'll keep ya posted on if they're contamed or not

Invisiblemycopsycho
Tit Inspector.
Male
Folding@home Statistics
    #2983302 - 08/09/04 07:41 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

it's grey? sounds like a contam.

--------------------
I Am The Sickness.

OfflineKillBill
Quick Learner
    #2983321 - 08/09/04 07:47 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

And another question, if i have ANY amount of Carmelized honey in my jars should i toss them out and remake them?

I only use a couple drops Per Jar is there any reason i should use more other than faster growth? and yes the growth is gray but its not so circular now i just looked at it now its kinda like two spheres attached to one another

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
    #2984044 - 08/09/04 11:38 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Contam for sure bro, myc looks like threads in Karo, wispy fine strands and can be thick where spores are clumped. Any carmelization will retard growth substantially. Why do you think the honey is carmelized? 15-20min. @15psi is all that is needed for liquid sterilization FYI :wink: GL

OfflineKillBill
Quick Learner
Re: Liquid Mycelium - Could contams lurk and not be visible? [Re: hyphae]
    #2984490 - 08/10/04 01:27 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Well on the bottom of some of the jars is a yellowish clumps which, even though i've never seen carmalized honey before, just makes sense in my mind to be overcooked honey. IT was there only after i PC-ed and not before.

Yeah the honey one with the big growth i'll inocculate ONE jar with tommorrow just for the sake of experimentation, afterwards i'm emptying and cleaning that jar along with any Carmelized jars. My two other original karo jars have been abused (as in i shake them violently, and have had to tip them sideways to get the syringe to reach the liquid, overall bad sterility habits when inocculating) so i'm tempted to chuck them too but their Myc still looks decent by your standards "wispy threads"

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Liquid Mycelium - Could contams lurk and not be visible? [Re: debianlinux]
    #2984715 - 08/10/04 02:48 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

> how much better?

Try them and find out! If you would like to have only sugarwater as the only nourishment for your body, try it. You'll soon find out why a complete media is better.

> i fail to see how the concoctions you listed could possibly provide better visibility.

If your PD or ME liquid media is too dark then you're using too much malt or PD. Use a standard recipe. A tint doesn't affect your ability to see cloudiness in the media, that is what you should be looking for.

> how do you go about determining the proper water to nutrient ratios?

Hit google, your fingers aren't broken. I assume you have a scale and can measure ingredients according to a recipe.

> maybe your just implying that the suggested medias offer higher resistance to contamination?

They may or may not depending on what you use. Sugarwater will contam easier than anything else though.

> IME, those medias are reserved for agar...

The agar is only a small fraction... simply remove it and the media won't solidify.

-FF

They may or may not depending on what you use. Sugarwater will contam easier than anything else though.

> IME, those medias are reserved for agar...

The agar is only a small fraction... simply remove it and the media won't solidify.

-FF

Invisiblemycopsycho
Tit Inspector.
Male
Folding@home Statistics
    #2984843 - 08/10/04 04:11 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

malt and water. damnit......!?!?!

--------------------
I Am The Sickness.

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #2984883 - 08/10/04 04:39 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Scat music is a type of music using vocals where the singer doesn't use words, hence the name. It's a type of jazz or blues. The singer uses their voice to simulate instruments and the like. It's really cool, you should check it out.

Edumacate yo mind man!

Invisiblemycopsycho
Tit Inspector.
Male
Folding@home Statistics
    #2985047 - 08/10/04 08:06 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

sounds like shitty music......

--------------------
I Am The Sickness.

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #2985365 - 08/10/04 09:49 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

fastfred said:
Try them and find out! If you would like to have only sugarwater as the only nourishment for your body, try it. You'll soon find out why a complete media is better.

1stly, my body requires a multitude more nutrients than mycelia, that is a ridiculous analogy. Mycelium LOVES simple sugars. 2ndly I have no interest in trying a different recipe for liquid media. Honeywater works unbelievably well for me. I would only mess with this success if I had a convincing reason to... which you have yet to offer. When I asked how it is better I was looking for a quantified statement such as, "mycelial growth rate is tripled" or "the whole damn jar fills with thick ropey mycelium as opposed to cottony balls". 3rdly, potatoes and malts are just as much sugar as honey is.

Quote:

If your PD or ME liquid media is too dark then you're using too much malt or PD. Use a standard recipe. A tint doesn't affect your ability to see cloudiness in the media, that is what you should be looking for.

The potato broth I have prepared is far too cloudy to use for this purpose. What, are you straining the shit through multiple filters? I agree that malt can be used but I fail to see how it could possibly be "far better" than honey as they are both simple sugars. Also, you mentioned (IIRC, maybe not) PDY... yeast is notoriously cloudy.

Quote:

Hit google, your fingers aren't broken. I assume you have a scale and can measure ingredients according to a recipe.

your, right. my fingers are intact, I have a scale and am competent enough to mix a proper formula. to be honest, my original reply was assuming that you had mistaken the topic to concern agar as opposed to liquid media. I'll chalk that up to my own prejudice formed when i saw your post count and the fact that i've never heard anyone recommend using anything but honeywater for a liquid media (barring crazy ideas like horseshitwater).

Quote:

> maybe your just implying that the suggested medias offer higher resistance to contamination?

I'm not so sure about that. Any liquid media (barring the addition of antibiotics) is extremely prone to contamination unless exacting sterile procedures are observed. Having said that, it is a well documented fact that honey exhibits antibiotic properties. Potato broth, malt and honey medias all fall under the category "sugarwater".

I apologise for assuming any ignorance on your behalf.

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #2985394 - 08/10/04 10:02 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

bent said:
...I injected 5 bags of popcorn that were contam free for over 2 weeks and each of them is starting to develop green mold. what are the chancces the green mold is lying in the liquid mycelium..

0%

grain naturally plays host to several varieties of green which is one of the main reasons we PC the shit out of it. if the green had been in the liquid culture you most likely would have seen it in the jar prior to inocculation and you would have definitely seen green take hold way before 2 weeks had passed. your post isn't completely clear but i'm gathering that the green did not appear until 2 weeks post-inocculation. question: was the mycelium happily growing like it should have been prior to the appearance of green?

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom