Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Balloons, Cracker, Nitrous Oxide

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineRainyDayDreamAwa
Still Raining,Still Dreaming

Loc: Red side of Washington (S...
how mushrooms can change you
    #2984260 - 08/10/04 02:22 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Before i took my first dose of mushrooms, i saw them more as a party drug or something you take to see wild patterns flying over everything. All the "cool" kids were doing it, i figured it would be fun to do also. Little did i know what in was in for.
My first shroom trip was very mild, even though i took an 8th of them. I didnt get much more than what i had expected beforehand, some pretty crazy visuals but nothing to crazy. (I just so happened to be tripping outside DURING A FRECKIN TORNADO, i dont know why i didnt Trip like a madman, there was lightning every 3 secs for an hour straight and raindrops the size of marbles!) I've heard that shrooms dont always work the first time, maybe this was the case.
Anyways this left my idea of what shrooms really do false. I was in for a big surprise 3 weeks later when i got another 8th, ate it and experienced a full blown rollercoaster ride like nothing i had ever felt before! full on open eye visulas of bubbles blinded me, the near-flat ground lost its solidity and morphed into hills that actually winded me to climb up, stop signs turned to rubber and started waving back and forth. bugs crawled across that i could not tell if they were real. my ego was completly destroyed, I realized that myself is an endity that exists both inside and outside my mind, and that my body is just a tool for manipulating my enviromnemt. My ego still leaves me randomly at times, for no reason i can think of. It was a truely enlightning and spiritual experience.
But since i did that, occasionly my brain feels like it just starts reaarnging itself in my head, kind of disturbing. It has been 2 montsh since i tripped that day and this feeling still persists and occurs up to three times a week. Anyone know what it is and when it will go away?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Anonymous

Re: how mushrooms can change you [Re: RainyDayDreamAwa]
    #2984352 - 08/10/04 02:44 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Welcome to the Shroomery! Sounds like a typical mushroom trip. Hope you had fun!

occasionly my brain feels like it just starts reaarnging itself in my head, kind of disturbing

That's just consciousness shifting, nothing to be worried about.  :smirk:

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #2984693 - 08/10/04 04:32 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

"occasionly my brain feels like it just starts reaarnging itself in my head, kind of disturbing"

Its kind of a shiftey, "whooshing" feeling?

Have you noticed similarities with what else is going on in your mind when you experience this?

If I know what you're talking about, I experience this too at profound times. It sometimes feels like my brain rewarding itself for good work. Then my boss calls and tells me he's out of ink cartridges

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

OfflineZahid
Stranger
    #2984707 - 08/10/04 04:38 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Cool. I have yet to trip during a thunderstorm, I do have some mushrooms stashed away that I should literally save for a rainy day.  :tongue2:

Welcome to the Shroomery.

--------------------

Offlinedaba
Stranger
 User Gallery

#2984779 - 08/10/04 05:32 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

:smirk:

--------------------
Fold for The Shroomery!

Invisiblezee_werp
a fractalcreature
 User Gallery

Loc: Aotearoa
    #2985007 - 08/10/04 09:23 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

When you experiecne a profound mushroom trip, or any other psychedelic trip for that matter, but particularly with shrooms and LSD, the effects can last long after the drug itself has worn off.

I beleive that this occurs as a result of the psychological processes that can take place during a trip. When you enter into a deep trip, where it's more than just 'fun and games' but rather something happening on a profound level of your consciousness, the very core of your being, it is almost inevitable that you will undergo some form of 'reprogramming'. Whether you do it consciously or subconsciously, these new imprintations of thought and behaviour can change the way that you think, the way that you perceive reality. Now I should point out at this stage that this is not necessarily a bad thing, infact for most users of psychedelic substances we consider it a good and desireable thing to happen.

Basically, we go through life and from an early stage we begin to develop systems and processes which we use for lots of things, anything from primitive responses to direct threats, to complex social interactions and other more detailed things. These systems / processes are also known as 'schemas'. They are the underlying 'cognitive schemas' which enable us to have emotions and actions.

Just incase you're not following, let's take a look at a simplified version of 'Beck's A-B-C Theory' of cognitive schemas.

(A) Environmental stimulus (raw sensory input)
V
(B) Cognitive processes (schemas)
V
(C) Emotions / behaviour / reactions

Now they also think that the flow isn't just one-directional either. (C) can also influence (A) and (B). This is known as a reciprocal effect.

So anyway, you start off life and begin to develop your basic schemas. It is also the case that we as humans have primitive schemas 'built-in' through DNA (e.g. sex drive, food seeking when hungry etc). It is the natural process of our minds to find evidence and reasons to re-enforce these schemas. We also tend to pile schemas on top of each other, especially when it comes to complex social interactions etc. so there can be multiple schemas acting on any given situation or event. And like it shows in the diagram above, it's not just your actions that can be affected by a schema, but also your emotions and thought processes.

When you have a profound trip, its sort of as though all of your schemas get tossed up in the air, all mixed up, broken into pieces, etc etc, and you are left, for a few hours, with a mind that is working with the very basic levels of brain functioning. This is when the ego loss occurs. It is as though the slate has been wiped clean after a lifetime of etchings, and etchings over etchings, etc. if you imagined the etchings as your schemas. It is from this ego loss, this clean slate, that the schemas begin to re-form. In the peak of a strong trip, having a thought is kind of like taking a run on a freshly plowed ski slope - you set your own path, and whats left behind is the beginnings of a new schema. It is in this stage, the 'comedown' after the trip, that you can utilise to form, or try to form, or subconsciously form, new schemas.

Now obviously, many of your old schemas end up settling back down in the same place and pattern as they were before. And then there are the times where you can develop a new schema - a new thought process - during or after a trip, and you feel profoundley changed, but then that schema fades away and this happens if it is not re-enforced enough. The other chance is that you form a new schema and it is re-enforced, in which case it can end up having a permanent or long-lasting imprint on the way you think or behave. A common example of this is people finding an enhanced ability to notice 'synchronicities' after psychedelic experiences. As I said before, most of the time these new schemas, 'psychedelic awarenesses', are positive things in our lives which we do not find troublesome, but for some people, who happen to trip with little consideration to 'set and setting', it can also have a negative effect. There are so many factors that lead to the outcome of a trip, which is why it is always important to take set and setting into consideration in making the decision to ingest a mind-altering substance.

Anyway, like strumpling said, have you noticed anything else that occurs at the same time as your weird experiences? It could be a response to a certain cue. Or were you talking about an actual physical sensation rather than a mental one? If thats the case then I would be surprised if it was a result of the shrooms, they are not known to have any lasting physical side-effects like that. Either way, don't panic when it happens, if it happens again, just stay chilled, and try to take note of the physical and mental events that led up to that event happening. Might shed some new light.

Offlinedmtrypr
psychonauticalengineer

Loc: Florida
Re: how mushrooms can change you [Re: zee_werp]
    #2985093 - 08/10/04 10:25 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I do chi and energy work for a living. When I trip, I become acutely aware of my energetic state and any current blockages, repressed memories/feelings come out. Working through these blockages leaves me feeling "rearranged". Most people do "energy work" and don't even realize it. We are beings that exist on many levels simultaneously, and taking shrooms is one way to experience that.

--------------------
"There is no greater power in heaven and earth than the thought of the son of man. Though unseen by the eyes of the body,yet each thought has mighty strength, even such strength can shake the heavens." -Gospel of the Essenes

OfflineRainyDayDreamAwa
Still Raining,Still Dreaming

Loc: Red side of Washington (S...
Re: how mushrooms can change you [Re: dmtrypr]
    #2986054 - 08/10/04 03:19 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

thanks zee werp for the info. Interesting to know how the brain works.

The first few times i felt these feelings i did panic, because i didnt know what it was or what was happening. Since then I learned that whatever it was would pass, but it left some concern as to what it actually was. Good to know its harmless!

The circumstances behind it are varied though. The first time it happened i was watching secret window alone at about midnight, while i was visiting my family in Oregon. The second time i had it the next day playing cards. I didnt have them for awhile, prob about a week, then they started coming on again. The most recent ones i've had is one after i lost feeling in my fingertips on my left hand on sunday, and yesterday after i ran about 5 miles after dinner, and then later that night also playing cards.

Usually before it starts to happen, i get a feeling of uneasyness, or like something isnt quite right. It builds for about 15-30 minutes then that feeling of shifting or wooshing (Stumpling had better words for it) and then i still kind of feel weird usually for the rest of the day.

Invisiblekaiowas
mndfrayze'speppet urme
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #2986691 - 08/10/04 05:21 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

yeah!!!  I had that happen to me after I dosed for the first time.  seriously, after a couple of months it'll pass.

but it was like evertime I smoked some bud, or tried to concentrate, it felt like a little bit of the mushroom comeup was coming back. 

if that's what it is, it'll pass :laugh:

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.---senior doobie

OfflinePhilanthropist
Savior ofMankind

Loc: Amsterdam, Holland
    #2988574 - 08/10/04 11:19 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I really like this thread and I would like to first say that every single one of us is different to an extent psychologically. Your symptoms seem normal for the most part according to everyone else who has eaten mushrooms. Speaking for myself I have never had a visual and have always thought very hard after the wave of each emotion. Extreme laughter, Extreme Sadness (not too sad just a realization of what can happen) then extreme philisophical thoughts. I cryed the first time i ate shrooms because of this realization- "Mushrooms make you think philisophical ohhh wait this is cool hold on.
Premise 1: Mushrooms make you think philisophical
Premise 2: Mushrooms are Illegal
Premise 3: Socrates was one of the first philosophers
Premise 4: Socrates was persecuted as illegal and imprisoned
Conclusion: The ignorant will label the unknown as illegal.

The same thing that causes these philisophical and spiritual thoughts is illegal just as Socrates was persecuted for talking these philisophical and spiritual thoughts. Tears ran down my face.

Later in the night i defined " What is What(.)(?)"

Offlineferago2
gnubie
Re: how mushrooms can change you [Re: Philanthropist]
    #2988587 - 08/10/04 11:21 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Err, if you're trying to use the premise conclusion thing I posted, keep in mind that the premises have to _prove_ the conclusion to be true. None of your premises say anything about ignorant people, so you really can't make conclusions about them from those premises. Not that I don't agree with you though :smile:

OfflinePhilanthropist
Savior ofMankind

Loc: Amsterdam, Holland
Re: how mushrooms can change you [Re: ferago2]
    #2988613 - 08/10/04 11:25 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Yes it does the ignorant people are the people who scrutinized socrates and made shrooms illegal. I am sorry if i am stupid.

OfflineMAGnum
veteran

Re: how mushrooms can change you [Re: ferago2]
    #2988661 - 08/10/04 11:39 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Philanthropist is trying to say that ignorant people make ignorant laws and kill people for ignorant reasons.

Invisiblezee_werp
a fractalcreature
 User Gallery

Loc: Aotearoa
    #2994573 - 08/12/04 06:43 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

RainyDayDreamAway, I think it is interesting that you have been experiencing physical sensations as well like the numbness you described in your fingers. Shrooms shouldn't cause lasting physical side-effects.

Keep in mind that the things you are experiencing may not be related to shroom consumption. It could just so happen that something else happened in your body around the same time.

If it keeps persisting and it feels like more than just a strange thought or a bit of a shroomy feeling, then I would reccomend that you talk to a doctor about it. Is your diet good? I have heard of numbness occuring in people with B12 or other vitamin deficencies. You can get B12 deficency from doing a lot of N2O (nitrous oxide). But anyway I'm no doctor so yeah if it keeps persisting and you feel its a problem then do talk to one. Again not meaning to cause panic or hypochondria, I just didn't want to be giving the impression that theres definatley nothing wrong...I'd just hate for our advice to prevent you from getting medical advice if that was what you did actually need.

:smile:

Offlinespooky123
Stranger
    #3001354 - 08/13/04 04:54 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Accept everything. I think you're body and mind are still working in their normal patterns, but mushrooms have made you question if they really are??? That's the trip man.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Balloons, Cracker, Nitrous Oxide

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology