Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineEnlightenedFreak
Lurk-er

Loc: Toronto, Canada
New HIV like virus,
    #2983457 - 08/09/04 10:39 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

http://www.ajc.com/health/content/health/0304/20bushmeat.html

Quote:

HIV-like virus linked to African 'bush meat'

By CHARLES SEABROOK
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Central Africans who hunt and eat monkeys and apes are being infected by HIV-like viruses that could cause new epidemics, says a study by researchers in Atlanta and elsewhere.

The study, published in today's edition of the Lancet, a leading British medical journal, supports a theory that HIV, the virus that causes AIDS, initially spread from non-human primates to people who ate the animals. It also adds to concerns that consumption of monkeys and apes ? including endangered gorillas and chimpanzees ? could trigger epidemics similar to AIDS.

"Our study is the first to demonstrate that these [HIV-like] viruses are actively crossing into people," said Dr. Nathan Wolfe, an epidemiologist at Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, who led the research.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Cameroon Ministry of Health participated in the new study. Researchers found evidence of the "simian foamy virus" in the blood of 1 percent of 1,099 people tested in Cameroon.

The simian foamy virus and HIV belong to a general class of microbes called retroviruses. "Simian foamy virus now should be considered a novel retrovirus of humans," Wolfe said. He said the study adds more evidence that hunting, butchering and consuming monkeys and apes play a role in retrovirus emergence.

American authorities are becoming increasingly concerned that diseases from the eating of African "bush meat," or wild animal flesh, could trigger new epidemics in the United States. U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service officials said bushmeat is regularly being smuggled into this country to meet demand from immigrants.

Wolfe suggested international agencies and organizations should create economic alternatives to help people in central Africa move away from the bushmeat trade.

Quite unsettling to hear about this, if it really gets out may be hard to contain. New scientist also ran a few articles about this.

--------------------
The pleasure of satisfying a savage instict undomesticated by the ego is uncomparaby much more intense than the one of satisfying a tamed instinct.
S. Freud

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

Loc: Radio Free Tibet!
Re: New HIV like virus, [Re: EnlightenedFreak]
    #2983837 - 08/10/04 12:41 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Interesting article. Thanks for posting it. :smile:

Yeah, the bush meat trade along with deforestation and the encroachment of populations into previously uninhabited areas is a big problem. One of the problems with bush meat, is that it is often enculturated behavior which is hard to change. Along with the selling of totemic souvenirs like monkeys paws, which are a hit with the tourists.

I was looking at HIV infection rates in sub-saharan african countries, and many are above 10% and there a few that are almost as high as 40%. Although, now people are worried about India, China, and regions of the former Soviet Union, as they all have very steep infection rate curves...

I can remember back in the 80s when AIDS was still called GRID, and no one seemed to care much. They figured it was a "gay thing" and wouldn't really effect them. However, since the CIA is increasingly concerned about high rates of HIV infection destabilizing nations and whole geographical areas in the coming decades, it would seem to be everybody's business now...

--------------------

OfflineEnlightenedFreak
Lurk-er

Re: New HIV like virus, [Re: Papaver]
    #2988727 - 08/10/04 11:56 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

AID's is a huge issue in many area's of Africa, a lot of programs have come into play trying to inform the people but it is once again on the rise. I recently watched a program that stated this is due to multiple "marriages"/partners that men have, younger girls take them on for support and many can get infected. Terrible stuff.

I really never realized that bush meat was an issue at all, and as long as tourists buy these sorts of souvenirs a market will be in place. Its a negative spiral, still remember those organizations that used to come to elementary school warning us about buying things like that, hah. Take care

--------------------
The pleasure of satisfying a savage instict undomesticated by the ego is uncomparaby much more intense than the one of satisfying a tamed instinct.
S. Freud

Offlinefrogger25
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: east coast
Re: New HIV like virus, [Re: EnlightenedFreak]
    #3000936 - 08/13/04 03:31 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

i dont know, i think your view of the aids epidemic is slightly skewed by propaganda. there are no real numbers coming out of africa as to how miny people have hiv or aides, at best it is an educated guess. africa has some very poor countries and when some one dies there is no autopsy done to find the cause. many people may be labeled as having died from aids when in fact many more people die of malaria and tuberculosis. you might think you would hear the truth from internation aide workers but they are not to exited about revealing the truth because so much money is given to them help treat aids, losing this would be devastating to the african people. instead of teaching safe sex and handing out condoms vaccines should be given for the curable diseases that are rampant in those countries.

OfflineEnlightenedFreak
Lurk-er

Re: New HIV like virus, [Re: frogger25]
    #3005826 - 08/15/04 12:56 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I am sure a lot of the current data is skewed but from what it seems AID's is quite an issue in Africa. I doubt the current statistics out can be pure propaganda, but who knows it's been done before, hah.

I think more of a balance should be achieved, I wouldn't say it is wise to fully abandon the education program and just deal with the current problems. Without the proper education AID's has the possibility to become much more widespread. But then again, I suppose there may be a chance alot of propaganda has come out of this situation...

Stats

--------------------
S. Freud

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Science and Technology