Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains   Amazon Paul Stamets

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
Any martial artists?
    #2982235 - 08/09/04 05:15 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Any of you pubbers practice any martial arts? I ask because I'm looking at my schools Rec & Sports offerings for the semester and I have a few extra free credits i could use. I take canoeing and kayaking and camping, but a martial arts course would be neat.

Anyway, I'll list the choices available and I'd love some feedback if you've taken any of them in the past and enjoyed it.

Aikido
Brazilian Jui-Jitsu
Capoeira
Karate
Kendo
Okinawan Kobudo Weapons: Bo and Sai
Russian Martial Arts (?) WTF are these?
Shaolin Kung-Fu
Tae-Kwon-Do
T'ai Chi Ch'uan (I thought this was more like a yoga thing?)
Wing Chun Kung Fu (Funny Name)

I'm not sure I'll take any of them, but they're free, so i might as well take advantage of it whil ei have the chance.

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinebarfightlard
tales of theinexpressible
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia
Re: Any martial artists? [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #2982267 - 08/09/04 05:22 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

I'd take kick boxing or russian martial arts(im pretty sure their the crazy combat they teach their soldiers. ive seen some videos, its good stuuff)

--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

OfflineOuchITripped
|E|C|S|T|A|C|Y| ~ ~ ~My Anti-Drug~

Loc: Dallas, TX
Re: Any martial artists? [Re: barfightlard]
    #2982315 - 08/09/04 05:31 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

I don't take any martial art's, and i'm not a martial artist

I did take 2 years of Judo, at Marine Military academy, then the following couple years I was a Boxing instructor, So, I know a little bit about Martial Arts, and here it is

Tae-Kwon-Do: is the regular standard "karate" that you take, like when your a kid so you don't get stolen by strangers..

Kendo: You have big bamboo swords, and armor, VERY expensive armor, at that, and each time you strike your opponent, you score a point.

Wing Chun Kung Fu: Wing Chun is a Style of kung fu..., this is kind of like the matrix, but of course not so animated, and all that stuff
movements are wide.

Shaolin Kung-Fu: Shaolin is a type, again, It's more like closer to your body (the movements), you keep your hands and feet pulled in, because Shaolin style, developed on boats, and when your fighting kung fu on a boat, you don't want to fall off, or so I was told.

--------------------
If mushrooms grew in my house, and I could smoke in here, i'd have no reason to go outside?
-Brock D. 2004 (that's me)
---------------------------------------------------
if you feel like your gonna puke just go ahead and puke
you'll feel much better afterwards.
sometimes its fun, as long as it doesn't come out your nose, that sucks
-Sherm (from the shroomery)

Better smilies coming soon! By suffer
---------------------------------------------------

OfflineSnape
Eternal Chaos
Male

Loc: Montreal, Quebec
    #2982319 - 08/09/04 05:32 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

I'm a green belt in Shorin Ryu karate. I'd love to learn Kung Fu, as a matter of fact I'll take lessons soon.

--------------------
I'm floating in the sea of stars,
I'm drifting away from the shore
I will be lost in the dream when the dark days come
But I will make the time run backwards and
I'll make the stars shine again

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #2982357 - 08/09/04 05:38 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

It depends on what you want to accomplish.
Personally, I would go for either the Jiu-Jitsu, Tai Chi, or Wing Chun.
Aikido is all well and good but it takes years and years of training to progress much at all in it.

Tai chi-chuan I'm sure you are familiar with.. it's the slow motion arm moving techniques and such you will see chinese people practicing. For health and "inner balance" reasons that would be your best pick imo. Tai chi is more meditation than anything... but Tai Chi martial applications are the same as you see them practicing, only 50 times faster. It is very effective. However, most tai chi practicioners use it stricly for meditation and balance.

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is something I think everyone should know. It is brazilian full submission wrestling. 9 out of 10 fights go to the ground and jiu-jitsu will give you the edge. It is miles beyond any form of standard wrestling as was based around Judo, and expanded from there. Jiu Jitsu will teach you a variety of valuable skills, such as how to put someone in an arm bar, or choke them out, even if they are on top of you. Jiu Jitsu teaches us that being smaller or in a worse position than someone, does not necessarily mean we will lose. If you ever watch UFC, brazilian jiu-jitsu is pretty much the standard now that every fighter must know, and it all started from the Gracie family from Brazil who developed this form of fighting and took it worldwide and made it one of the most effective fighting styles. Skilled jiu-jitsu fighters can go against practically any martial artist and still come out on top. For example Rickson Gracie was undefeated in the Brazilian full-contact NHB fighting ciruit, and Pride.. retiring with over 480 wins, 0 losses. Definitely, if you want to learn some skills you can take home with you, study jiu-jitsu.

Wing Chun Kung Fu is also very practical. This is basically the martial art Bruce Lee was taught at a young age, and was the foundation for what he used to develop his style and Jeet Kune Do. Without getting too deep into it, there is a technique in Wing Chun called Chi-Sao.. or "Sticking Hands", which is absolutely the coolest thing to watch or learn. Wing Chun Kung Fu is a very effective martial art for you standing fighting techniques. It will teach you balance and defense and fluidity, and how to strike back like a cobra. Shaolin Kung Fu is also very nice.

Anyway, I personally would choose from one of those three since those are the ones I have the most personal experience and training with. I'm familiar with most of the things on that list and let me tell you to not waste your time with Karate or Tae Kwon Do. Aikido is very impressive, but once again, takes many years to achieve any desired level of proficient skill. Jiu Jitsu is something you can get results from in several months, if you put your mind into it. It is also a skill that is very good to have in any fight, street fight or ring. It teaches you to dominate your opponent on the ground.

Anyway, I suggest you look into these a little more and decide what it best for you. Because they are each a little different in their own ways. But the best martial art is a combination of many arts and styles.. I am just pointing you to the direction I think is best based on my personal experiences.

Tae-Kwon-Do, at best, will teach you how to kick hard and high. At worst, it will teach you all the wrong moves, and detriorate your real fighting. Tae Kwon Do is sport fighting, judged by points. You do not bring Tae Kwon Do into a real fight unless you are really fucking good, and know other martial arts, or you like to get your ass kicked. Same with Karate. Although I can't generalize that because there are many different forms of Karate and some do have merit. And sometimes the Karate guys can stand up in the ring for more than a minute against some of the MMA guys.

--------------------

OfflineHarveyWalbanger
Demiurge
Male

Loc: 8b
    #2982374 - 08/09/04 05:42 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

We study kuk sool won (traditional korean joint locks/breaking and lead along techniques... painful), aikido, and judo.

Invisibleivi
 User Gallery

#2982392 - 08/09/04 05:47 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

I know that Paul Stamets is :laugh:

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Any martial artists? [Re: barfightlard]
    #2982405 - 08/09/04 05:50 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

I don't know about the Russian Martial Arts.. that's pretty vague. That could mean several things..

Basically, there are three levels of Russian Martial Arts they teach the Spetsnaz soldiers. And I guarantee that this class would not be teaching you the military (highest) applications of their martial art. At best you would learn the inferior Civilian style, that is for the general public.

--------------------

OfflineMadtowntripper
 User Gallery

#2982643 - 08/09/04 06:40 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

The instructor from the Russian Martial Arts is called "Manko". He certainly sounds like a spetznaz trained killer.

What about capoeira? I recall seeing that on the history channel or some such. I was under the impression it was more of a dance style, or like, a ritual type thing without much contact?

I recall seeing 2 guys doing this, and it looked like the intent was to come very close to hitting the other person, but not quite do so. Very beautiful to watch, but it is a legitimate fighting style?

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #2982691 - 08/09/04 06:50 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

I know very little about capoeira.. other than it is from brazil and like you said, almost like dancing. Though I have a friend that took it for a while and I'm going to his house now so I'll ask him about it.

--------------------

OfflineHarveyWalbanger
Demiurge
Male

Loc: 8b
Re: Any martial artists? [Re: ivi]
    #2982953 - 08/09/04 08:08 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

really........ any idea what style(s) he studies?

InvisibleOldSpice
Geritol Breath...
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crankytown, Texas
Re: Any martial artists? [Re: Shroomism]
    #2983054 - 08/09/04 08:31 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

I busted a beer bottle over this longhair in Gilleys once...
He said he knew martial arts :evil:

--------------------
So hard to be ....WDWGFH?
Texas is humongus compared to France
Our Gair, who art in Texas,
Paw Paw be thy Name....
My friends are thirsty

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrist office:biker:

InvisibleMykey
spectraltraveler

#2983317 - 08/09/04 09:46 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

I studied Wing Chun for a few years and practiced it enough to get all of the basic principals down well. It is a very practical and effective means of self defense. It concentrates on the redirection of force so that the defender may gain superior balance and control over his opponent by using the opponents strength in his favor. I never perfected the sticky hands tecnique ,but I plan on starting to train again soon and I hope to work on it more extensively. This tecnique is absolutely fascinating to watch in action! It is also a style of kung fu which doesnt require the agility of an acrobat to become effective!

Good Luck with what ever you chose weedhopper!

--------------------

Offlinenicechrisman
Interdimensional space wizard
Male User Gallery

Re: Any martial artists? [Re: Mykey]
    #2983341 - 08/09/04 09:55 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

I study Aikido and have found it very rewarding. In fact, I'm leaving for Japan tomorrow to go study.

--------------------
"Cosmic Love is absolutelely ruthless and highly indifferent:
it teaches its lessons whether you like/dislike them or not."

John C. Lily

InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
Re: Any martial artists? [Re: nicechrisman]
    #2983343 - 08/09/04 09:56 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Holy shit I'm jealous. Have a shitload of fun!

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

Offlinenicechrisman
Interdimensional space wizard
Male User Gallery

Re: Any martial artists? [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #2983351 - 08/09/04 09:57 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Thank you my friend, I'm sure I will. I'll tell ya all about it when I get back in 2 weeks.

--------------------
"Cosmic Love is absolutelely ruthless and highly indifferent:
it teaches its lessons whether you like/dislike them or not."

John C. Lily

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Any martial artists? [Re: Mykey]
    #2983389 - 08/09/04 10:09 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Aye.. Shaolin kung fu is much more broad, sweeping movements and flying around than tight and centered like Wing Chun. Sticky Hands is the 'play' to wing chun as Push Hands is the play for Tai Chi.. it is amazing, especially when you watch two high level practicioners go at it, it is so fast and fluid.

Here's a clip of bruce lee casually practicing some chi-sao http://www.wtkungfu.com/Pages/Gallery/Video/BruceLee.mpg

--------------------

OfflineKreeprCeepr
Dont mistakelack of talentfor genius!

Loc: Oregon
    #2983414 - 08/09/04 10:23 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

I have been in extensive martiel arts all of my life. I am a strong believer in respect, and i always looked for the instructor that demanded and deserved the most respect. I've taken MuaTai (Thailand kick boxing) and i've taken Wom Gem Pi, there are only 2 school in the us for it, and it is absolutly my favorite, because it is a life style. Unfortunitly you did not list either of these, but i have done Tae kwon do, and to tell you the truth, i did not like it, but it has been around for hundreds of years, invented by the Koreans, so it is effective. Shaolin kung fu is also another one that i like very much, you have to have ALOT of discipline, and if your just looking to jurt people, martial arts are not for you. Martial arts is not fighting, it is a life style, invented to better people, through discipline and hard work. You will leanr more then you cna imagine. Good luck, and just go in with an open mind, if you go in and the instructor is only teaching you how to hurt people, they are not worth your time. My suggestions would be:
Shaolin kung fu
T'ai Chi Ch'uan

Good luck with it and i hope you can find the same love for martial arts as i have.

--------------------
"My lands are where my dead lie buried" Crazy Horse R.I.P

Native Pride

InvisibleOldSpice
Geritol Breath...
Female User Gallery

Re: Any martial artists? [Re: OldSpice]
    #2983425 - 08/09/04 10:28 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Alounacara said:
I busted a beer bottle over this longhair in Gilleys once...
He said he knew martial arts :evil:

I swear he kinda looked like this guy

--------------------
Paw Paw be thy Name....
My friends are thirsty

InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
    #2983426 - 08/09/04 10:30 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Haha!

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #2983434 - 08/09/04 10:31 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

an old man once tried to swing a club at me but I caught it and flipped him on his back unconscious. Good times.

--------------------

OfflineKreeprCeepr
Dont mistakelack of talentfor genius!

Loc: Oregon
    #2983439 - 08/09/04 10:33 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:
Tae-Kwon-Do, at best, will teach you how to kick hard and high. At worst, it will teach you all the wrong moves, and detriorate your real fighting. Tae Kwon Do is sport fighting, judged by points. You do not bring Tae Kwon Do into a real fight unless you are really fucking good, and know other martial arts, or you like to get your ass kicked. Same with Karate. Although I can't generalize that because there are many different forms of Karate and some do have merit. And sometimes the Karate guys can stand up in the ring for more than a minute against some of the MMA guys.

I'm sorry to disagree with you, Any martiel art is good, and if your only looking to hurt people, then you wil get hurt. Karate was one of the first Martiel arts taught by the japanese based around Chi, It is EXTREMLY effective, and has been for throusands of years. Tae kwon do, is also efective, but it does focus alot on kicks and lower body movements, and some martial arts disagree with this(but they also disagreed with Bruce Lee). I've studied many forms, and all are equally as effective, it is what you can do with them, and also, how much more you are willing to learn.

--------------------
"My lands are where my dead lie buried" Crazy Horse R.I.P

Native Pride

Edited by KreeprCeepr (08/09/04 10:41 PM)

InvisibleOldSpice
Geritol Breath...
Female User Gallery

#2983454 - 08/09/04 10:38 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:
an old man once tried to swing a club at me but I caught it and flipped him on his back unconscious. Good times.

I knew you were a bit to familier sp?;)...

--------------------
Paw Paw be thy Name....
My friends are thirsty

OfflinePyRo
Stranger
    #2983997 - 08/10/04 01:30 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

I took Shotokan Karate for about 3 years. Shotokan is the old school OG Japanese karate. IMO This is by far the best one out there. It not only teaches you how to fight, but it gives you a whole new way to look at life. It keeps you balanced and respectful.

I was taught the old fashion way- I trained outside at night in underground apartment building parking lots. -This isn't your average corner karate school.- Part of our training was getting hit with a 1" thick bamboo stick in various places, especially the stomach. We also faught barefoot in glass and rocks in the parking lot. You learn to take pain and channel it. It was one of the best things to happen to me though.

Also: I feel so connected to my body and my training when I'm on shrooms...I have complete control and this unstoppable strength. I am never like this normally. I have fought on shrooms before and man it is unbelievable! The other guys had no chance! They couldn't even touch me. Crazy stuff.

Martial arts and shrooms go very good together

OfflineSnape
Eternal Chaos
Male

Loc: Montreal, Quebec
Re: Any martial artists? [Re: PyRo]
    #2984394 - 08/10/04 02:53 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

PyRo said:
I took Shotokan Karate for about 3 years. Shotokan is the old school OG Japanese karate. IMO This is by far the best one out there. It not only teaches you how to fight, but it gives you a whole new way to look at life. It keeps you balanced and respectful.

I was taught the old fashion way- I trained outside at night in underground apartment building parking lots. -This isn't your average corner karate school.- Part of our training was getting hit with a 1" thick bamboo stick in various places, especially the stomach. We also faught barefoot in glass and rocks in the parking lot. You learn to take pain and channel it. It was one of the best things to happen to me though.

Also: I feel so connected to my body and my training when I'm on shrooms...I have complete control and this unstoppable strength. I am never like this normally. I have fought on shrooms before and man it is unbelievable! The other guys had no chance! They couldn't even touch me. Crazy stuff.

Martial arts and shrooms go very good together

I don't know why, but I call BULLSHIT on that one.

--------------------
I'm floating in the sea of stars,
I'm drifting away from the shore
I will be lost in the dream when the dark days come
But I will make the time run backwards and
I'll make the stars shine again

InvisibleSubGen1us

#2984517 - 08/10/04 03:35 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Take BJJ then take some mauy thai later if u want to learn how to really fight.

Karate is for idiots.

I disagree with Shroomism on TKD. It has some very useful kicks and double
strikes that can only be seen in TKD. Watch Bas Rutten fight and u might catch
some. Flying knees are great aginst BJJ. Guess what.. Yup that TKD.

U dont want to do kung fu unless u want to learn 130 different weapons and 6
different fighting styles. If thats not what ur school is offering then its going to be
a lame class.

[Edit] TKD isnt just a sport. It came from korean military in case they got disarmed
or something so they are dangerous even unarmed.

--------------------

Edited by SubGen1us (08/10/04 03:37 AM)

OfflinePyRo
Stranger
    #2984603 - 08/10/04 04:01 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah now rereading it it sounds a little out there to the average person, but every word I have said is true. The shroomery isn't a place for bullshit. By being honest you are respecting the shroomery and what it stands for.

I haven't gone for 6 months now though...I realized that voilence isnt really something I want to be a part of. We aren't supposed to physicly* fuck our selves up just becuase we have different views on the same situation. I got to a point where it was scary to think what I would do to someone if I was angry with them. I can't really explain, but let me tell you that there are some people that take tae kwon doe to look cool and say "I take Karate" but then there are the few that are very proficient and take their training to another level. My master was one of those people.
Peace

Invisiblewilgi
Stranger
Male

#8169685 - 03/20/08 12:44 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

yes, i am one, i teach mixed martial arts, ive been training in jiu jitsu (japanese and brazilian) taekwondo, american boxing, kickboxing, mauy thai, submission grappling and so on, SO ON TO YOU, id say, if you looking for somethings practical, find a cross training school, that will teach you ground and stand up, if you looking for a belt type thing alone, then brazilian jiu jitsu you should check out, if you like the more spiritual side, yoga, i would stick with the practical stuff, you want something actually fulfilling or else usually you'll find a way to put somthing less important off when things in your life get busy, good luck and may you have good health!

--------------------
retired

OfflineMadtowntripper
 User Gallery

Re: Any martial artists? [Re: wilgi]
    #8169708 - 03/20/08 12:49 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah, I remember this thread.

FROM 4 YEARS AGO.

--------------------

OfflinePilzeEssen

Loc: USA
    #8169725 - 03/20/08 12:52 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

hahahahahhahahahaha yea, i saw the first post i was like wtf....

anyway, MANTIS KUNG FU FTW!!!!

--------------------
"The soul has greater need of the ideal than of the real. It is by the real that we exist, it is by the ideal that we live."

If you want to get a hold of me, my email address is in my profile. Just click on my screen name. I got banned from using private messages cause I didn't follow the rules... :frown:

OfflineLegend9123
Male

#8169866 - 03/20/08 01:21 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

wilgi said:
:repost:

--------------------
Those who would give up a little freedom to get a little security shall soon have neither.
-Benjamin Franklin

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
    #8169940 - 03/20/08 01:38 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Rather than try to give advice on which martial art to choose, I'll give some tips on *how* to choose. In general, any martial art will give you skill enough to defend yourself in most situations where you have a chance.

First, figure out what you're into. How hard do you want to be hit (you'll get hit a lot more than give at first)? Do you want to work on wrestling or grappling? Kicking? Punching? Throwing? Keep in mind that the harder they're hitting the more likely it is that you'll be injured, maybe seriously. I've seen people get serious fractures in light contact only classes. Remember also that one good shot to your knee means your knee is messed up for the rest of your life (that's one example of a place that gets messed up in martial arts). Full contact sounds really cool to some people, but you won't find a lot of people doing that for more that 10 years - it's too hard on the body. Assume that you'll live 100 years, and ask yourself how much abuse you want to allow for your body, remembering that you'll get every bit of that pain back 30 years or so down the road, and you'll have to live with it from then on.

Second, go watch some different classes and see if that's what you want to do. Also, watch to see if you like the style the instructor uses for teaching. If a class won't let you watch then they're BS and you should go elsewhere. Don't accept any nonsense excuses about "secret techniques" or anything like that.

Third, almost any class should let you try a class to see if you like it (1 or 2 free or cheap drop-in classes). Try it and see. Again, if they won't let you try it out, go somewhere else - there are plenty of places that will.

Once you find something that you might like, check into the terms for paying for classes. Since you originally said this would be a school class this one might not apply. But if you want to continue after the term you'll want to check into this. If they want you to sign any sort of long term contract, walk out. They should have no problems with you paying month by month. That doesn't mean that you can't go for a longer term contract. Just be *sure* before you sign on the line. There are lots of places out there who make their money from people who signed up for a long contract then quit. You owe the money whether you're working out or not.

Watch for extra expenses. Uniforms, pads, weapons, and so on can run into some real money.

Finally, don't ever hesitate to ask yourself if you're still having fun. Once it starts not being what you want any more, don't hesitate to quit. On the other hand, expect that you will reach a burnout phase, typically about a year in. You will feel that you're practicing the same stuff over and over and not progressing. If you persevere it will pass.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineOG bub
Strangerthanmost
Male

Loc: midwest US
Re: Any martial artists? [Re: ToxicMan]
    #8171228 - 03/20/08 12:37 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

been practicing various arts for about 15 years. my focus is with ShaoLin LongFist and Chin Na styles. groundfighting was also a big study for me.
Ive practiced:
KungFu (various styles)
TKD/Karate/KSK
boxing
wrestling/Judo
short stick and staff fighting.
and SF unarmed combat.

they all have something good to offer. I think the most important thing is to find a good foundation or platform, to add other supliment styles to, to become more adaptable to various situations.
My platform style lies in KungFu.

Peace, bub.

--------------------
High, I am bub.

Invisiblememes
Blessed

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: In a Tree
Re: Any martial artists? [Re: OG bub]
    #8171251 - 03/20/08 12:42 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

lol, i was going to give my input - but then realized the thread was ancient, so i'll limit my input to this.

I took Aikido - loved it, it rocks. Takes a while to build skill base for practical situations, but once you do it's clutch.

Invisiblewilgi
Stranger
Male

Re: Any martial artists? [Re: memes]
    #8171652 - 03/20/08 02:08 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

yea i noticed that too, o well, bringin it back

--------------------
retired

OfflinePilzeEssen

Re: Any martial artists? [Re: memes]
    #8171828 - 03/20/08 02:56 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

meams said:
lol, i was going to give my input - but then realized the thread was ancient, so i'll limit my input to this.

I took Aikido - loved it, it rocks. Takes a while to build skill base for practical situations, but once you do it's clutch.

i did aikido for a while. and quit because i didnt find it to be anywhere near street applicable. there arent any strikes. its so set-up its not even funny. judo/jujitsu over aikido anyday.

--------------------
"The soul has greater need of the ideal than of the real. It is by the real that we exist, it is by the ideal that we live."

If you want to get a hold of me, my email address is in my profile. Just click on my screen name. I got banned from using private messages cause I didn't follow the rules... :frown:

OfflineMadtowntripper
 User Gallery

#8172175 - 03/20/08 04:38 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

wilgi said:

Generally frowned upon.

This thread has no relevance to anything anymore.

--------------------

OfflineAcaterpillar
A little mad...
Male User Gallery

Loc: Down the rabbit hole
    #8172247 - 03/20/08 05:00 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Aikido- Japanese, has strikes, throws, locks. Practical, but depending on how traditional can be unhealthy.

Brazilian Jui-Jitsu- Wonderful ground fighting, extremely practical. Will definitely come in handy in a fight. Commonly used in UFC. You can learn how to fight with this fast.

Capoeira- Don't know a whole lot. Pretty acrobatic,  don't know about practicality.

Karate- Depends how traditional. Practical, but can be very fake, very easily. Do some research first. You can learn how to fight with this fast.

Kendo- Japanese sword fighting. Teaches coordination and such, but not directly practical.

Okinawan Kobudo Weapons: Bo and Sai-

Russian Martial Arts- Probably Sambo (what Fedor uses), good for big guys especially, very practical. You can learn how to fight with this fast.

Shaolin Kung-Fu- Not a 'real' style of kung fu so much. Shaolin Kung Fu just means multiple styles originating from the shaolin temple. Many say it's not practical, but this martial art depends on the players work effort a large amount. If you just take the classes you won't know how to fight with this, but if you practice on your own time, and have a sparring partner to apply technique to you will.

Tae-Kwon-Do- Can be very fake very often. Do some research. Lots of kicks. You could fight with this fast.

T'ai Chi Ch'uan- There are several family styles of Taijiquan. You should ask the instructor which style he teaches (maybe multiple). Cheng, Yang, Wu, and Sun are all traditional taiji styles, and are practical in fighting. Of course there are purely ascetic styles as well. Taiji is an internal style so it is charcterized by soft movement, but that does not mean it's a weak style.

Wing Chun Kung Fu- A practical style of kung fu. Many similar movements to the style I play (Hung Ga), it's movements are long rather to short. Bruce Lee came from Wing Chun. I would love to train Wing Chun someday. Though practical it could still take time to use in a fight.

What's more important than the martial art style you choose, is your teacher, and the student (YOU  :awesome:)

Make sure your master seems to have a good understanding of the martial art, and how to apply the various techniques (all motions can be applied multiple ways). Don't immediately buy into the amazingness of your master. Ego can build alot of false image, and there are alot of people out there doing it for the money.

*EDIT: Shit, all that writing for nothing. :mad2:

--------------------
Aaa...E I O Uuu...A E I O Uuu..A E I O uh Uuu..
*Cough* *Cough*
Ooo...U E I O Aaa...U E I Aaa..A E I O Uuuuu...

At first sight, The Perfection of Wisdom is bewildering, full of paradox and apparent irrationality.

Edited by Acaterpillar (03/20/08 05:01 PM)

OfflineMadtowntripper
 User Gallery

Re: Any martial artists? [Re: Acaterpillar]
    #8172268 - 03/20/08 05:05 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

:lol:

I'll take it under consideration if my degree ever becomes obsolete and I go back to school.

--------------------

Invisiblewilgi
Stranger
Male

#8172315 - 03/20/08 05:16 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Madtowntripper said:
Quote:

wilgi said:

Generally frowned upon.

This thread has no relevance to anything anymore.

thanks for that, but people seem to enjoy the topic

--------------------
retired

OfflineChemy
Jesus is Lord

Loc: A Church
Re: Any martial artists? *DELETED* [Re: wilgi]
    #8172331 - 03/20/08 05:19 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Post deleted by Chemy

Reason for deletion: Reason for deleting?

--------------------
Alcoholics Anonymous

Narcotics Anonymous

Get help, help is free and available 24/7/365.

God bless you all and I hope you receive the help you need to turn away from your lives of sin.

Mushrooms and drugs make you gay, you can reverse this homosexual condition with rehab, get help! Stop being gay!

OfflineMadtowntripper
 User Gallery

Re: Any martial artists? [Re: Chemy]
    #8172344 - 03/20/08 05:22 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Whatever, I don't really care.

I was just letting the n00b know that people don't like to waste their time on 4 year old threads.

If he wants to post here, more power to him.

--------------------

Invisiblewilgi
Stranger
Male

#8172364 - 03/20/08 05:27 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

well i got linked to it and didnt look at the date, and just posted, and before i could delete it there were replies, so i just left it... and yea thanks for the advice though, i should look at the dates and i am new to this forum, so all critique is helpful in having everyone be ok with me posting, so yea, thanks and peace.

OfflinePilzeEssen

#8174680 - 03/21/08 03:06 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

aikido sucks. i can say that because i wasted a lot of time out of my life with that bullshit. its not anywhere close to street applicable.

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Any martial artists? [Re: PilzeEssen]
    #8174775 - 03/21/08 03:42 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

PilzeEssen said:
aikido sucks. i can say that because i wasted a lot of time out of my life with that bullshit. its not anywhere close to street applicable.

sure it is.. after you spend about 10 years studying it. I know a guy who's been training in Aikido for 18 years and he can do some crazy shit in a street fight even against skilled opponents.
It has a very steep learning curve and isn't a practical fighting style for a novice by any means, sort of like Chin Na. It requires many years of practice and pinpoint precision.

--------------------

OfflineOG bub
Strangerthanmost
Male

#8175318 - 03/21/08 12:08 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:
sure it is.. after you spend about 10 years studying it. I know a guy who's been training in Aikido for 18 years and he can do some crazy shit in a street fight even against skilled opponents.
It has a very steep learning curve and isn't a practical fighting style for a novice by any means, sort of like Chin Na. It requires many years of practice and pinpoint precision.

agreed.
learning a style takes time. learning how to apply it to combat takes more time.
alot of it depends on the school's/instructors intent.

peace, bub.

--------------------
High, I am bub.

OfflineMDMC
Strangler

#8175576 - 03/21/08 01:38 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I've done wing chun and karate.

The wing chun easily defeats the karate.

Invisiblewilgi
Stranger
Male

#8175581 - 03/21/08 01:39 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

aikido is not practical, no aikido fighter has ever beaten a high calibur kick boxer or grappler

on the street, if you use it, you better hope the guy your fighting didnt wrestle in high school, or has never taken boxing, because in the heat you wont execute any of your moves, i have trained in martial arts since i was six, i now have been teaching for 5 years and i am a california taekwondo state champion and i have won 9 mmma fights, and have had 11 years of jiu jitsu (japanese and brazilian) and again 8 years of kick boxing, and having so many aikido instructors and students come learn at my gyms, the martial art is hobby, and by no means a skilled set for self defense. much love

--------------------
retired

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

Loc: FL
    #8175626 - 03/21/08 01:50 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Madtowntripper said:
Any of you pubbers practice any martial arts?  I ask because I'm looking at my schools Rec & Sports offerings for the semester and I have a few extra free credits i could use.  I take canoeing and kayaking and camping, but a martial arts course would be neat.

Anyway, I'll list the choices available and I'd love some feedback if you've taken any of them in the past and enjoyed it.

Aikido
Brazilian Jui-Jitsu
Capoeira
Karate
Kendo
Shaolin Kung-Fu
Tae-Kwon-Do

I'm not sure I'll take any of them, but they're free, so i might as well take advantage of it whil ei have the chance.

jeet kune do all the way madtown.

i say this because it is not a style per se, it is the style of all styles. it incorporates the best aspects of many styles. bruce lee designed it to become an evolving style, one that forms to what works best.

i used to be in tae kwon do, kickboxing, highschool wrestling and freestyle wrestling. i havent had the time recently to get back into martial arts as i would like to, but i do have just about every one of bruce's books and every book written about him and jeet kune do, and i practice on my own. obviously finding a school for it would be tits, but 1. dont know of any around my area, and 2. no time right now.  i have progressed pretty well i think though, at least for teaching myself with books and videos. :shrug:

i am also a big fan of eagle claw kung fu. some real badasses were born out of that style.  also, shaolin kung fu is pretty awesome, ive watched a few documentaries on the shaolin monks over in china, and holy shit, talk about some steel plated war machines. although, they dedicate their whole lives to it.

also you should look into Krav Maga.  the one good thing to come out of israel IMO. :lol:

--------------------

Edited by LeftyBurnz (03/21/08 01:52 PM)

OfflineOG bub
Strangerthanmost
Male

#8176089 - 03/21/08 04:11 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Right on! cool to meet another instructor! I used to teach at the ShaoLin center in Colorado Springs.

Quote:

wilgi said:
aikido is not practical, no aikido fighter has ever beaten a high calibur kick boxer or grappler

says who, and have you met them all?
I agree with yer point, but it is misleading to make such a generalization.

Quote:

wilgi said:on the street, if you use it, you better hope the guy your fighting didnt wrestle in high school, or has never taken boxing, because in the heat you wont execute any of your moves,

you never know who you will encounter on the streets, it would be better to know aikido, than nothing at all.

Quote:

wilgi said: i have trained in martial arts since i was six, i now have been teaching for 5 years and i am a california taekwondo state champion and i have won 9 mmma fights, and have had 11 years of jiu jitsu (japanese and brazilian) and again 8 years of kick boxing, and having so many aikido instructors and students come learn at my gyms, the martial art is hobby, and by no means a skilled set for self defense. much love

again, I agree with yer point.. but coming from you or I, it would be semi irrelevant to many folks, who have FAR less experience. Aikido CAN be effective, if it is TAUGHT to be effective. plain and simple.
however, I would not advise someone to study ONLY aikido, because there are other, far more effective and direct styles to use in combat.

but like everyone else, thats just my opinion.

peace, bub.

--------------------
High, I am bub.

Invisiblewilgi
Stranger
Male

#8176592 - 03/21/08 06:39 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

the original question is what to study, aikido as a single style of fighting is awful, and you dont need aikido at all to be well rounded, aikido is a hobby, and if you aquire its technique, it wont benefit you. if you aquire one of these, jiu jitsu's, or judo's, or taekwondo's, or mauy thai's, technique, ext.. any one of those, will be 100x more effective, in any fight. and they are all just as time consuming.
and it is not a generalization about the kick boxer or grappler, martial artists all have "tool chests" per say, of techniques, and a kick boxer and a grappler have larger more effected and faster tools then any aikido fighter, if there is even aikido "fighters", and never in any mixed martial arts match has a aikido fighter won, using a aikido technique, this is true. and any pure aikido fighter can fight a pure grappler and will lose, and any pure aikido fighter can fight a pure kick boxer, and will lose, fact.

--------------------
retired

Invisiblewilgi
Stranger
Male

#8176610 - 03/21/08 06:45 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

if someone wants to do aikido as a hobby, more power to them, ive studied it, it is enjoyable, but these days most people dont have extra time to learn a 3rd party martial art like aikido, and the martial arts i mentioned above are as time consuming as you'd like them to be, the thing is, if you do have time for a non practical 3rd party martial art, then id do yoga instead, because it will help you grappling or kickboxing greatly, and yes i agree that aikido is better then NOTHING, but if you know aikido, that still doesnt mean you will be safe in a street fight, by any means, because in aikido, the sparring is so limited, you wouldn't know how to deal with all the elements of a actual fight, this is another fact

--------------------
retired

OfflinePilzeEssen

Re: Any martial artists? [Re: LeftyBurnz]
    #8176639 - 03/21/08 06:50 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

leftysurprise said:
Quote:

Madtowntripper said:
Any of you pubbers practice any martial arts?  I ask because I'm looking at my schools Rec & Sports offerings for the semester and I have a few extra free credits i could use.  I take canoeing and kayaking and camping, but a martial arts course would be neat.

Aikido
Brazilian Jui-Jitsu
Capoeira
Karate
Kendo
Shaolin Kung-Fu
Tae-Kwon-Do

jeet kune do all the way madtown.

i say this because it is not a style per se, it is the style of all styles. it incorporates the best aspects of many styles. bruce lee designed it to become an evolving style, one that forms to what works best.

i used to be in tae kwon do, kickboxing, highschool wrestling and freestyle wrestling. i havent had the time recently to get back into martial arts as i would like to, but i do have just about every one of bruce's books and every book written about him and jeet kune do, and i practice on my own. obviously finding a school for it would be tits, but 1. dont know of any around my area, and 2. no time right now.  i have progressed pretty well i think though, at least for teaching myself with books and videos. :shrug:

i am also a big fan of eagle claw kung fu. some real badasses were born out of that style.  also, shaolin kung fu is pretty awesome, ive watched a few documentaries on the shaolin monks over in china, and holy shit, talk about some steel plated war machines. although, they dedicate their whole lives to it.

also you should look into Krav Maga.  the one good thing to come out of israel IMO. :lol:

jeet kune do is not something anyone can teach. there was only 1 person who knew it. and we all know who that was.

--------------------

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

#8176698 - 03/21/08 07:06 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

actually it has lived on and will as long as there are dedicated students. he had several close friends and students to which he taught everything he possibly could, he left behind tons of instructions, pictorial explanation, and several videos.

john little, dan isosanto and m. uyehara are just three of those people. the students at his school have worked their asses off to teach and spread bruce's work. not to mention all of the work that his wife, brandon and shannon have done with the bruce lee foundation. it is far from gone.

obviously it will never attain the heights that it would have if he were still alive.

--------------------

OfflinePilzeEssen

#8176749 - 03/21/08 07:21 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

i had a few conversations about JKD with my shifu

(theres some dipshit in town who thinks he knows JKD and has a school, his highest up student got his ass totally demolished when he came to our school to spar)

"JKD" vs mantis kung fu = mantis kung fu as the winner in a rediculouslessly short amount of time.

JKD requires YEARS of studying many different systems. you cant just teach someone JKD. they have to figure it out themselves and it takes YEARS.

--------------------

OfflineboOM
Female User Gallery

#8176788 - 03/21/08 07:36 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

i train in muay thai and have been for the past 3 years now. i love it...clinching, kneeing, elbowing, kicking, punching...you utilize everything. hands down one of the best martial arts or fighting method which is effective in striking.

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

#8176879 - 03/21/08 08:05 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

PilzeEssen said:
i had a few conversations about JKD with my shifu

(theres some dipshit in town who thinks he knows JKD and has a school, his highest up student got his ass totally demolished when he came to our school to spar)

"JKD" vs mantis kung fu = mantis kung fu as the winner in a rediculouslessly short amount of time.

JKD requires YEARS of studying many different systems. you cant just teach someone JKD. they have to figure it out themselves and it takes YEARS.

i do agree that there are alot of self proclaimed JKD schools/teachers, however you cannot say that it cannot be taught, it is every day, the majority of legitimate schools are in cali, but there are a few here and there throughout the rest of the country. bruces students and fellow instructors have been spreading out continually since his death.

it takes years to REFINE it, just as with any other style, you can learn the core principles and moves in a matter of months to a year. there are very few styles where you can learn and refine the techniques in less than YEARS. bruce designed it to be easily learned and easily picked up on. and also, it is a style that will never be complete, it is a constantly evolving form, you will never "master" this form, because bruce himself said that it was not something he sought to perfect, as it was a continually evolving form.

there are a set amount of moves, principles and techniques that bruce thought all JKD students should know, and you can be taught those by an experienced JKD instructor. the hardest part is finding someone who you can legitimately trace back to bruce. if they were not taught by bruce himself or 2nd generation students taught by bruces best students and fellow instructors, then they arent legit. there are no instructors past 2nd generation yet.

--------------------

OfflineOG bub
Strangerthanmost
Male

#8177404 - 03/21/08 10:24 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

leftysurprise, yepp, a good JKD instructor has proof of liniage, as should and instructor of any style of MA school.

Quote:

wilgi said:

a kick boxer and a grappler have larger more effected and faster tools then any aikido fighter, if there is even aikido "fighters", and never in any mixed martial arts match has a aikido fighter won, using a aikido technique, this is true. and any pure aikido fighter can fight a pure grappler and will lose, and any pure aikido fighter can fight a pure kick boxer, and will lose, fact.

its nice you know so many facts..
finding specs to every MMA fight ever fought would be impressive, especially since such a document dosent exist.. but you may consider your experience, factual..

but so you know.. in a street fight, combat, you can know any or every tactic in the world, and it wont gaurentee you a win..... thats a "fact"
in the same hand, I, and obviously you, would be confident in a fight with any aikido fighter..

im not trying to debate with you, the effectiveness of any one style.. Im shure your skills have won you many fights. just implying its better to be more open minded when it comes to an actual fight, off the mat, because all yer "facts" are refrenced to controlled fights bro.... not Street fights..

Quote:

wilgi said:
and yes i agree that aikido is better then NOTHING, but if you know aikido, that still doesnt mean you will be safe in a street fight, by any means, because in aikido, the sparring is so limited, you wouldn't know how to deal with all the elements of a actual fight, this is another fact

erm, there are no facts about that, just opinion....
there are no promises in any street fight, ever, no matter how much, of what you know.. the pavement is not the mat. nor is the sparring partner yer combatant..you dont get to tap out or win by call on the bricks..

but thats just my opinion......... not a "FACT" :wink:

let me quote my original post so mabey youll see what Im saying and not take it as an argument toward you.
Quote:

OG bub said:
been practicing various arts for about 15 years. my focus is with ShaoLin LongFist and Chin Na styles. groundfighting was also a big study for me.
Ive practiced:
KungFu (various styles)
TKD/Karate/KSK
boxing
wrestling/Judo
short stick and staff fighting.
and SF unarmed combat.

they all have something good to offer. I think the most important thing is to find a good foundation or platform, to add other supliment styles to, to become more adaptable to various situations.
My platform style lies in KungFu.

Peace, bub.

that said, happy trails.
Peace, bub.

--------------------
High, I am bub.

OfflineTylerDurden
I sell soap

Loc: 1537 Paper St.
Re: Any martial artists? [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #8178998 - 03/22/08 10:18 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

BJJ all the way. If I was going to know one defense system that would be it.

--------------------

OfflineAcaterpillar
A little mad...
Male User Gallery

Loc: Down the rabbit hole
Re: Any martial artists? [Re: TylerDurden]
    #8182510 - 03/23/08 05:32 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Bruce Lee did not 'invent' JKD, the set of philosophies that make up JKD have existed in China far before him. He just brought it to america and gave it a name.

Not saying he wasn't a good guy. :sun:

--------------------
Aaa...E I O Uuu...A E I O Uuu..A E I O uh Uuu..
*Cough* *Cough*
Ooo...U E I O Aaa...U E I Aaa..A E I O Uuuuu...

At first sight, The Perfection of Wisdom is bewildering, full of paradox and apparent irrationality.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains   Amazon Paul Stamets

Community >> The Pub