Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
ID request. Suspected non-psilocybes, England
    #2982161 - 08/09/04 04:58 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Hey dudes. I have some pictures of mushrooms I picked today. These mushrooms were present at multiple locations as I was just walking home. I mostly saw them on grass verges to the side of roads, but also on a larger area of grass (no animals ever graze there). It has rained quite a bit recently, even as I was finding them, and it has been quite warm with maximum temperatures of about 22c/71f and minimum temperatures (night) of about 15c/59f

They ranged in size from caps of a few mm, to about 25mm. The ones pictured are some of the larger specimens. They were growing mainly in clusters of maybe up to 10 spaced by a few cm atleast, with several such clusters in an area of a few square metres. The stems shown on the pictures are pretty much their entire length.

Something interesting was that in the larger grass area I mentioned, there was a noticeable but not glaringly obvious, curved dark line in the grass about 3m long and 6 inches wide, which looked like something had been poured onto the grass and killed some of it. Along this line these mushrooms grew quite densely compared with the findings elsewhere.

I do not suspect that these are psilocybes, from what I have read and pictures I have seen. Or atleast, they do not entirely resemble actives that I have seen. But its worth checking.

Upong picking, and on most of the other mushrooms there, the caps had a lighter area in the middle, and darker on the edge. The boundary between the shades was very wavy, like cream poured over an upturned bowl, perhaps. Im not sure if the lighter center was in relief to the outer darker area. But now, as the pictures show, after a few hours of being left out inside, this feature has gone.

Anyway, here are the pictures (approx 50kb each):

I havent tried to take a spore print - is it worth me doing so?

thanks dudes, any responses will be welcomed. Like I said, I dont think they are active, but it would still be interesting to know what they are - they seem to be extremely common in my area.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: ID request. Suspected non-psilocybes, England [Re: rock_ten]
    #2982774 - 08/09/04 07:13 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Those look like Marasmius oreades, a common, edible lawn mushroom.

Try bending the stem of one of them around a finger. This species has a tough, flexible stem that you should be able to wrap around a finger without breaking.

Happy mushrooming!

Re: ID request. Suspected non-psilocybes, England [Re: ToxicMan]
    #2985563 - 08/10/04 12:47 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks dude. They have dried a fait bit now but ill try that with the next ones i find. Atleast now I know i can survive on them if i ever get lost in my garden...

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification