Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: 352
Amanita salmonea
    #2890608 - 07/14/04 04:19 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I recently found an Amanita here in N.C. that keyed to be probably A. salmonea = A. subcaligata in Mushroom's Demystified.

Does anyone know of a description of this mushroom on the internet? I have searched and could not find one. Does anyone have this mushroom's description within a book? I would be very thankful if I had access to it.

Thank you in advance. If I can get my photos loaded on this computer I will.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Amanita salmonea [Re: MagmaManiac]
    #2890712 - 07/14/04 04:45 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

This key (warning - pdf) by Rod Tulloss includes a description of the species (page 8). Based on it, you probably have a similar species - this key states that A. subcaligata (=A. salmonea) is known from east Texas to southern California. If it's a similar species, that key might be able to help get you to the correct species.

Happy mushrooming!

Invisibleivi
 User Gallery

Re: Amanita salmonea [Re: ToxicMan]
    #2890955 - 07/14/04 06:09 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Nice document :thumbup:
Thanks for the link ToxicMan :laugh:

--------------------

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Amanita salmonea [Re: ivi]
    #2973751 - 08/06/04 09:18 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Thank you ToxicMan.

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

#2975601 - 08/07/04 02:08 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Here is a picture of the suspect:

My original conviction was that this is an Amanita, I am now also taking into consideration that this could be a Lepiota or a Leucoagaricus. I do not have the specimen anymore and have only a mediocre description, which follows in its original form herein:

"Pileus: 3 inches diameter, pink-tan/brown, nearly plane, slightly viscid [representative of Amanita rather than Lepiotaceae], nearly non-existant veil fragments, non-striate margin, odor indistinct.

Flesh: whitish, bruising slowly slightly pink [I'm not so sure about this], crisp to sturdy in edges, not thick

Gills: off-white, free, fairly thick, wavy, and well-spaced, shallow, moderately - flattened towards stalk

Stalk: pale-pink above veil, veil grayish-red, adhering to stalk [this is odd, perhaps this is what led me to believe this is an Amanita, but Lepiota annuli adhere sometimes], formerly (prob.) skirtlike, beneath veil fibril-streaked, sordid-brown, becoming lighter at base and darker at indistinct, barely margined volva (purple-brown), [stipe] 5 cm X 0.4-0.5 cm.

Spores: white

Habitat: mixed forest, mainly near hardwood, on trail."

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #2982017 - 08/09/04 02:22 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Going by the strictly Friesian definition, that looks like a Lepiota. Since there is only the one specimen, we can't be certain, as a young specimen would probably have shown more clearly whether there was a universal veil or not. I haven't seen any really good keys for Lepiota, so classifying a lot of them is really difficult.

Happy mushrooming!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale