Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleSugarMagnolia
WecanhaveHIGHtimesifyoudontmind

Loc: Halfway between here and ...
Sand Mushrooms from Lk Mich, any IDeas?
    #2980128 - 08/09/04 01:00 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Hi, while I was vacationing on Lk. Michigan I noticed the loveliest of mushrooms growing plentifully from the sand in the dense vegetation between the water and the bottom of the sand dunes. I noticed some deer tracks in the area. They really had the stems buried deep in the sand. some were clustered in groups while others were growing singally around the groups. Very plentiful. The pics are off my old camera so not the greatest quality(I was at the beach not expecting to find mushrooms:)). Here are the best ID info I can give to aid
cap- young ones, caramel brown
mature, cinnamon brown to coffee brown with some rings of lighter browns. conic shaped cap that grows to convex. 1 1/2 cm - 6 cm
gills- close, cinnamon brown color, I did notice a change in color while on site with them. The spores darkend to the edges nicely like a dark line.
spore print-I took the print on the beach the best I could, and from my observation the print appeared to be a chocolaty brown, not too dark though. It wasn't a great print.
stem- straight, shade lighter than gills but changing from darker to lighter towards cap sometimes. the stems ranged in size from 1 cm to 5 cm. Their was no veil, and a little bulb at the bottom. I also noticed their was no bruising and inside a real light tan color.
The gills also appeared to be attached to the stalk.
Any idea on what these may be or the edibility of them, I am very curious about them! I would greatly appreciate any feedback. Again sorry for the long post and crappy pics but the sand mushrooms were such a fun find!
Also, the pics on papertowel are after the return home so that shows the color changes from the field hopefully!
Peace love and shroominess!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
Re: Sand Mushrooms from Lk Mich, any IDeas? [Re: SugarMagnolia]
    #2981195 - 08/09/04 10:57 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Well thats sure no species ive ever seen growing anywhere else... Ill read off some mushrooms that grow only in sand and let you do the researching... its still nothing active...

Carbomyces sp.
Chlamydopus meyenianus
Coprinus asterophorus
Dictyocephalos attenuatus
Montagnea arenarius
Phellorina strobilina
Podaxis pistillaris
Schizostoma laceratum

thats all the mushrooms i could find that grow only in sand... do a search on shroomery for sand mushrooms im more than positive theres another post on one, maybe you could match similarities and come up with a species...

Edited by CptnGarden (12/30/08 03:52 PM)

OfflinePsilygirl
cyan goddess
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: Sand Mushrooms from Lk Mich, any IDeas? [Re: CptnGarden]
    #2981406 - 08/09/04 11:51 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

its probably growing off a root or something and popping through the sand.

--------------------
"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing.' Between the two, my life flows."

Puget Sound Mycological Society

InvisibleSugarMagnolia

Re: Sand Mushrooms from Lk Mich, any IDeas? [Re: Psilygirl]
    #2985108 - 08/10/04 08:30 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks for the input on what theses may be. I have been trying to see what mushrooms have been found in the Lake Mich. sand before but am having no luck as of yet. Thanks for the list shroomieofDoomie its more of a list than I have been able to find. I did find a species called Laccaria Trullisata which grows in sand, although these are not them because it says those have pinkish to purple gills, and these mushrooms had brown gills. They weren't rooted either because they had little bulbs of sand and mycellium on the bottoms, but may be growing as part of the vegetations root system. I may have to make the drive back to the beach with a hunting kit, Mich State Univ. also lets people bring mushrooms in for identification so maybe I'll see if they know. I was pretty sure they were not actives as well, but hopefully they could be some tasty edibles, though on the small side. Thanks again for the list and I'll start searching some more!
Peace Love and shroominess

InvisibleSugarMagnolia

#2986182 - 08/10/04 01:44 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Well I emailed a professor from MSU and he could not tell from the pics, so he forwarded the pics to a mycologist who lives on the Western side of the state, so he may know.  When I hear from the mycologist I'll print his post on what species it could be.  Getting closer to an answer and that makes me :smile:!
Peace love and shroominess!

InvisibleSugarMagnolia

#3020468 - 08/18/04 08:51 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Well just an update, if anyone cares or not, but I received an email from a doctor whom the professor recommended, who knows the mushrooms that grow by lake Michigan. Here is the email I received.

"I've seen these twice in 40+ years surveying the beach at Warren Dunes on Lake Michigan. They seem to appear after a long cool rainy summer as we are experiencing now. In your photos, the cap color and the stem girth are right and the bulbous end with cottony mycelium to hold the sand are clues to their identification. My guess is that it is Hebeloma colvini (Peck) Saccardo. I've collected them in all stages of growth and have had difficulty getting a spore print. Only one produced a few alutaceous (grey-brown) spores. This species and Laccaria trullisata have that cottony mycelium that binds the sand. They are about the only gilled fungi that grow in the sand in this area. Thus I feel your fungus is a Hebeloma. If you dry one and send it to me I'll check it.
John W. Rippon Ph.D."

--------------------
Peace,Love,& Shroominess! My favorite Mushroom site!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder