Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineOyster
Stranger
King?
    #2980660 - 08/09/04 08:27 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I found this mushroom yesterday
http://home.att.net/~MushroomHunter/pretender.htm
Would you look at it and let me know if it is a King Bolete or something else. Thanks.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMAGnum
veteran

Re: King? [Re: Oyster]
    #2980707 - 08/09/04 09:17 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

King Boletes have reddish brown caps. That is orange-yellow. It still could be a varient. Hell, any non-bluing, non-bitter bolete is an ill score anyways.

OfflineOyster
Stranger
    #2981550 - 08/09/04 02:26 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I just received a message from one of the people on the Boston Mycological Identification committee and he confirms that it is the King Bolete. Here is what he wrote:

Hi, Vlad:
It is NO DOUBT King/ Boletus edilus/ Cep/ Porchini/ "Bely dubovy grib"(in Russsia, especially in North Caucas).
5-6 days old, grown in far from ideal conditions.
The best culinary recomendation - Soup, it will be delicious.

Best regards, Arkadiy Pitman
PS
You may consider my opinion as a final - I hunted ONLY ceps in 1984-1997 and mostly ceps in 1980-1983 (Russia, Ukraine, Caucas) and 1998-2003(MA,NH,MN, VT, CA,NY) This year is not good for ceps. So far I've found just about 50 ceps. (By this time last year it was between 50 and 70 KG)

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
    #2986547 - 08/10/04 05:01 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

tha way that person replied in and of itself makes me *very* hesitant to believe of word of it.

tha fact that it looks nothing like any form of B. edulus i have ever seem even in photos [wich could be environmental] is the first thing that would lead me to suspect it is some other species.

the stipe is equall rather than the usual bulbous towards the bottom. the stipe is yellow tinged as apposed to the pure white often discoloring brownish. cap orrange, becomming sickly pale yellow towards the margin as apposed to any of the wide array of variable colors described for the cap of B. edulis. i am also noticing the fact that a specimen this mature is virtualy free of maggots.

the only features of this specimen that even seem to suggest porcini are a seemingly large stature, a partialy reticulate stipe, viscose cap, olive brown spores, pores becomming yellow in maturity and discoloring finaly the color of the spore deposite. this is hardly conclusive.

i would hesitate to take this indevidual's advace a second time as, while he may be right, he doesn't seem to know that for sure and he's telling you he is. this is just offensive.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

OfflineOyster
Stranger
Re: King? [Re: canid]
    #2989811 - 08/11/04 06:38 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Arkadiy does not posses a great deal of humility. I submitted my page to the Boston Mycological Club ID Committee list server and he was the only one that answered. No one disagreed with him. To me that signifies agreement.
Here in New England the King looks much different then say, California, and quiet rare. It does not have the bulbous stalk. The cap color varies also. In my specimen it was tan colored with some red tones in the center. On my monitor and video card it looks just like it was.
I used Mushrooms of Northeastern North America by Alan E. Bessette and others to identify it.

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
    #2991628 - 08/11/04 04:53 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

silence does not always signify concurrence. if you trust this one person, then by all means, take his word for it. it's not like he's likely to be wrong about the edibility if he is wrong about the species. in the future on the other hand, i wouldn't take the oppinion of someone who spoke so wrecklessly about an identification unless it actualy *was* supported by the surrounding evidence. call it self preservation.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #2992137 - 08/11/04 07:04 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

It does appear to meet the basic requirements for a porcini. There are several Boletus species that are very similar and would be easy to mistake for one, but all of them are comparably edible.

Happy mushrooming!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification