Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineDreamer987
The VerbalHerman Munster
Female

Loc: Texas
Prozac found in Britians Drinking water
    #2978732 - 08/08/04 06:02 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

i didn't know if this was drug related enouph for this forum, so feel free to move it wherever.

myea.
Sun Aug 8, 7:47 AM ET Add Health - Reuters to My Yahoo!

LONDON (Reuters) - Traces of the anti-depressant Prozac have been found in Britain's drinking water supply, setting off alarm bells with environmentalists concerned about potentially toxic effects.

The Observer newspaper said Sunday that a report by the government's environment watchdog found Prozac was building up in river systems and groundwater used for drinking supplies.

The exact quantity of Prozac in the drinking water was unknown, but the Environment Agency's report concluded Prozac could be potentially toxic in the water table.

Experts say that Prozac finds its way into rivers and water systems from treated sewage water, and some believe the drugs could affect reproductive ability.

A spokesman for Britain's Drinking Water Inspectorate said Prozac was likely to be found in a considerably watered down form that was unlikely to pose a health risk.

"It is extremely unlikely that there is a risk, as such drugs are excreted in very low concentrations," the spokesman said. "Advanced treatment processes installed for pesticide removal are effective in removing drug residues."

But environmentalists called for an urgent investigation into the findings.

Norman Baker, environment spokesman for the Liberal Democrats, said it looked "like a case of hidden mass medication upon the unsuspecting public."

"It is alarming that there is no monitoring of levels of Prozac and other pharmacy residues in our drinking water," he told the Observer.

The Environment Agency has held a series of meetings with the pharmaceutical industry to discuss any repercussions for human health or the ecosystem, the Observer said.

Prescription of anti-depressants has surged in Britain. In the decade up to 2001, overall prescriptions of antidepressants rose from 9 million to 24 million a year, the paper said. "

also, mods i was just wondering whats happening with my poll. I heard it was moved to the moderator forums, yes?
if yall are done talking about it, i was hoping mabey i could get it back, so that the general public might get use of it

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineivi
 User Gallery

Re: Prozac found in Britians Drinking water [Re: Dreamer987]
    #2980535 - 08/09/04 06:49 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

It's the government!!! I wonder what else they add to the drinking water to control the crowds :shiftyeyes:

--------------------

Edited by ivi (08/09/04 06:59 AM)

OfflineMAGnum
veteran

#2980537 - 08/09/04 06:51 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Norman Baker, environment spokesman for the Liberal Democrats, said it looked "like a case of hidden mass medication upon the unsuspecting public."

What the fuck!? They can't just legalize the pot??

OfflineMAGnum
veteran

Re: Prozac found in Britians Drinking water [Re: ivi]
    #2980543 - 08/09/04 06:53 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

ivi said:
It's the government! I wonder what else they add to drinking water :shiftyeyes:

I hope they put LSD in the water.  Like a truckload.

I think they put arsenic, floride and chlorine for the most part.  Some hienous shoomerite will know.

OfflineAnnomM
※※※※※※
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Europe
    #2980547 - 08/09/04 06:56 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

"It is extremely unlikely that there is a risk, as such drugs are excreted in very low concentrations"

:thumbup:

That's all IMO.... very very very low concentrations......

Invisiblechodamunky
Cheers!

Loc: sailing the seas of chees...
    #2983391 - 08/09/04 10:12 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I never drink tap water, I always keep a huge jug full of cool boiled water in my kitchen, or I just use the water cooler. I'm not sure if boiling water can get rid of the chemicals but for sure if there is any bacteria swimming around they will be dead when I gulp them down  :smirk:

If one was to medicate a mass population, doing it through the water system would get the job done very well. In cases like these, I totally support the extreme view that the government could be doing this on purpose for whatever reason. Better to be a little cautious and cause some commotion to make sure they clear this problem up quickly rather then be passive and not knowing if people are fucking around with your water supply.

OfflineRedo
CTA

#2984879 - 08/10/04 06:37 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

somebody prolly flushed a bunch of prozac down the drain and the next day the inspectors tested the waters. Its pretty well known prozac doesnt work on enough people to be usefull enough to work on masses, so the government would never put it in the water.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service