Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Perlite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblefearfect
forcing pinnings
    #2978417 - 08/08/04 03:57 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

A friend of mine might be growing soon and has been reading the faqs.  He has decided to do half the jars pf style then fruit as cakes and half using a 50/50+ casing in baking tins to compare.  Many of the casing teks describe breaking up the cake and putting the casing layer on top (1:4 ratio) then allowing it to colonize slightly longer and sometimes patching where the mycelium breaks through.  A few questions; If my friend will only be able to get maybe a 5 degree tempurature drop (around 80-82 down to 75 or so) how will he know when to, and how to force it to start pinning?

Does the setup just eventually start forming little pins and thats your queue to give it light and drop the temp?  From what he's read in some of the casing teks, once you put it into the fruiting chamber the only stimulation it really needs is allowing it to have light to start the fruiting process.

He plans to have a layer of perlite at the bottom of the chamber and will fan and mist daily as well to keep it fresh if it is necessary.  The only real concern is knowing when/how to start pinning on the casings.  maybe stick em in the fridge?

thanks a ton for your help guys, the shroomery has been an incredible source of information so far.  :thumbup: :mushroom2:
any other tips for a first timer grower would be GREATLY appreciated as well.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblefearfect
Re: forcing pinnings [Re: fearfect]
    #2978454 - 08/08/04 04:08 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

He just doesn't want to get overlay :undecided: He'll be shooting up with some cambodians

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
    #2978479 - 08/08/04 04:14 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Cakes are easy just birth and fridge dunk overnight then double case and initiate pinning immediately introducing all pinning triggers (light,fresh air exchange and temp drop) at the exact same time results should be prolific :laugh: Casings on the other hand are as you described (very good :wink: ) IMPORTANT keep the substrate surface as level as possible and the casing layer too this will make a big difference in getting a nice uniform flush. Once you see myc poking through, optimally uniformly in all the valleys at once then initate pinning immediately otherwise patch early breakouts and still initiate pinning immediately. I always keep casings at "near saturation" then discontinue misting during pinsetting only, this leaves the casing with perfect conditions for prolific pinsets GL

Invisiblefearfect
Re: forcing pinnings [Re: hyphae]
    #2978504 - 08/08/04 04:21 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

aweomse dcyans.  Thanks :wink:  He'll keep that top layer moist till he starts seeing the pinheads.  Would you recommend putting the casing in the fridge to help them start pinning?  I've read good and bad things about this.  Assuming he won't be able to get a good temperature drop, would it be necessary to chill em for a few hours?

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
    #2978556 - 08/08/04 04:39 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

As soon as myc pokes through with a properly hydrated casing it will not have to be misted until pins are set! Once you see pinheads that means your pins are set bro :wink: A cold shock will not hurt I'd recommend overnight to allow the substrates core temp to also drop :wink: GL

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Perlite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation