Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePaintedDeath
The Bestest
Loc: somewhere in Texas
Help with PMP
    #2978227 - 08/08/04 12:33 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

My Friend has 7 cakes sitting under a box, about 2-3 weeks till they are ready to be put into the fruiting chamber. today while he was sitting on the pot, he started to think about making a poormans pod. in his last attempt at growing shrooms, he was just using a rubbermade container, with a layer of perlite on the bottom. did well, but he works all day from 8-5 so during those 9 hours there was no air exchange. if he was to construct a poormans pod, what exactly would he need?

an air pump?
air wands? (what are these?)
geolite/hydroton? could he use his perlite? would it be a pain? is it worth getting the geolite just so he doesnt have to fight with the perlite anymore?

where could he retrieve these items? the air pump and air wands at wally world? and the geolite/hydroton at his hydroponics store?

how much would this be expected to cost?

--------------------
I wanna cross The Rainbow Bridge, and see my fathers in The Golden Hall. They beckon me, to join their feast. In my dreams, I hear their call.

Edited by PaintedDeath (08/11/04 08:55 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemycopsycho
Tit Inspector.
Male
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Going Nowhere Fast
Re: Fruiting Chambers. [Re: PaintedDeath]
    #2978243 - 08/08/04 12:41 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

it sounds like you already have the basic answers you need. yes you can sub with perlite, you also need to purchase tubing for the pump/wands, and as for total cost i think its under like 40 bucks if you use perlite.

--------------------
I Am The Sickness.

Diploid: I think adults have a right to make stupid decisions and it's nobody else's fucking business.

OfflinePaintedDeath
The Bestest
Re: Fruiting Chambers. [Re: mycopsycho]
    #2978297 - 08/08/04 01:06 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

think i should look in the fish and aquariums section of wally world? any ideas about what kinda pump would work good? dont wanna go and get the wrong thing. and what kinda wands to use, i have no clue what these are. and tubing, i guess i could probably get that over at wally world also, if not i know i can get it at home depot.

--------------------
I wanna cross The Rainbow Bridge, and see my fathers in The Golden Hall. They beckon me, to join their feast. In my dreams, I hear their call.

OfflinePaintedDeath
The Bestest
    #2978301 - 08/08/04 01:08 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

also, how well does the perlite work if used with the poormans pod? because i could probably buy some geolite or hydroton if i had to, though id REALLY like to not spend that money. i could maybe get some from my friend who has some.

--------------------

Offlineseethe303
enthusiast

Loc: over the rainbow
    #2978303 - 08/08/04 01:09 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

you can just use lava rocks which are WAY cheaper than geolite.

Invisiblemycopsycho
Tit Inspector.
Male
Folding@home Statistics
    #2978304 - 08/08/04 01:09 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

yup, it's all in the same section at wally world, just get an air pump w/2 output ports. any wands will do but IMO bigger=better.

--------------------
I Am The Sickness.

Diploid: I think adults have a right to make stupid decisions and it's nobody else's fucking business.

Invisiblemycopsycho
Tit Inspector.
Male
Folding@home Statistics
    #2978310 - 08/08/04 01:10 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

BTW wands and stones are the same thing(for the most part)

--------------------
I Am The Sickness.

OfflinePaintedDeath
The Bestest
    #2978326 - 08/08/04 01:17 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

haha, no clue what a stone is either =P , but ill go looking around, and if i need any help ill ask one of the knowledgeable members of the wal-mart customer service team.....

=P

--------------------

Invisiblemycopsycho
Tit Inspector.
Male
Folding@home Statistics
    #2978333 - 08/08/04 01:19 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

everything should be easy to find

--------------------
I Am The Sickness.

OfflinePaintedDeath
The Bestest
    #2979222 - 08/08/04 07:56 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

aight i got me a pump, 2 air stones, and some tubing. i tested it out in the bath tub, seems to be working good, think i got what i needed. now, on the geolite/hydroton and lava rock....

i found some lava rock, and i wouldnt really mind using it to much, i just got some question on it before i buy some. should i use the kind that people use when grilling, or the red stuff that goes out into the garden? if the lava rock comes in large pieces, should i break it down into smaller pieces? how well does lava rock actually work, and should i just in reality ditch the lava rock for some hydroton? i mean im not strapped for cash, but i dont really wanna be spending any ya know?

--------------------

OfflinePaintedDeath
The Bestest
    #2979284 - 08/08/04 08:25 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

also, i have perlite, but i hate that crap, way to messy and what not. however i will use it over spending money. so if i was to use perlite, how would i use it with the bubbler? beforehand, i just wetted the perlite in a tub, drained it and just added it to the fruiting chamber, added just a touch of water and H2O2 mixture for good measure, and i hand sprayed whenever i did an air exchange. if i use these air stones, how should i use the perlite? add a 2 inchish layer, and should i have add water to that layer? i hear perlite doesnt work so well, and if everything is pointing toward perlite being a bad way to use the poormans pod, then i would be more than happy to get something else so i never have to use perlite again. but if its possible to use the perlite effectively without spending money on geolite, then that works too.

--------------------

InvisiblePsyllyMe
LOST.......
Loc: Center of the Known Unive...
    #2979363 - 08/08/04 08:51 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

perlite is the worst known substance to mankind.......next to crack, and cheesy beaver.........avoid it with caution.........and the Home Depot are the worst perlite pushers..........

I suggest you read Magash's thread on the PMP.......

Don't get lost in the 20 pages.......

I would give ya a link........but my google is broke!

peace

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Fruiting Chambers. [Re: PsyllyMe]
    #2979398 - 08/08/04 09:04 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

IMHO, perlite's fine, cheap, easy to find and lightweight. Not the best, but certainly the easiest to find.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

InvisiblePsyllyMe
LOST.......
Re: Fruiting Chambers. [Re: Rose]
    #2979417 - 08/08/04 09:12 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

freakin Mod's ........must be a perlite pimp.......

Build a PMP(hydropiddy) for less than $50..........

check the Magash tread......

peace

OfflinePaintedDeath
The Bestest
    #2979420 - 08/08/04 09:13 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

iv read the whole of the PMP thread. tons of questions about the use of lava rock and perlite, not many answers. i wanna hear from someone who has effectively used perlite. because i remember after i cleaned out my chamber last time i used perlite, it was all caked and nasty, i really doubt the air could even make its way outta the layer of perlite. this is what im worried about. pretty sure ima get some lava rock though. just get it and break it down into smaller parts. maybe just use larger parts on the bottom, with smaller pieces on top. think this may be the final verdict on what ima use. sucks having a bag of perlite ima never gonna use again =P

--------------------

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #2979423 - 08/08/04 09:14 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Perlite cleaning is simple if you use perlite in small terrariums, or if you have a hose and a yard.

There's nothing high tech, or automated about my favorite methods. I like cube cultivation as ghetto as possible.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Offlinesillysimon
PermanentPalinopsia

Loc: i have an STD,its HPPD ...
    #2979425 - 08/08/04 09:15 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

get the red lava rock man it will do the same shit as perlite or hydroton,geolite, its ike 3.50 and you never have to replace it, just poke a shit load of holes in the bottom of the bag and wash really good with hose pipe, caution red nasty shit will get everywhere but it will wash away* get a poweful air pump, like a 20.00 one at pet store with two outlets for tubes. and you'll be pimpin man****

--------------------
In the dawn my toes are cold They spread their little trinkets on the ground In the hall By the closet door They creep into my bed without sound On a cube In a plastic egg A hundred fabric figures in a pile See them march Toward me And dance across the floor trippily Little faces keep no track of time Little faces speaking out in rhyme Little faces smiling in my mind Tiny doors For walking through sticky fingers clutch forbidden things the phone For talking through Sinking ships On a foamy sea That tumbles from the motion of filthy Little hands In the dark When eyes are wide listen to secrets that I tell In a ball On tiny beds Or beneath them where the shadow people dwell moon Beams split the night Leave bars of yellow pasted on their faces As they drift into a dream

OfflinePaintedDeath
The Bestest
    #2979429 - 08/08/04 09:16 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

im not worried about cleaning the perlite, im worried about it becoming so packed and caked that it isnt allowing the air to flow outta the stones. i read somewhere that you have to push down on the layer sometimes to let the air out, which isnt any better than fanning. i need to make a PMP because im not available enough to make a air transfers.

--------------------

InvisiblePsyllyMe
LOST.......
    #2979431 - 08/08/04 09:17 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Well then......If you don't wanna buy Hydroton........bust up some bricks.......(reference the Magash)......or rob the bar b que......

and donate the perlite to a local chuch........

Jesus loves the perlite.......so I was told

peace

Offlinesillysimon
PermanentPalinopsia

Loc: i have an STD,its HPPD ...
    #2979434 - 08/08/04 09:18 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

fuck perlite, perlite is my mortal enemy, go with the lava rock dude! i use it in a 55 gal terrarium and have 8 feet of casings pimpin!
i use a 40 dollar air pump though with 4 bubble wands, go with bubble wands man, the are better to me, the dont get clogged so easy...good luck

--------------------
In the dawn my toes are cold They spread their little trinkets on the ground In the hall By the closet door They creep into my bed without sound On a cube In a plastic egg A hundred fabric figures in a pile See them march Toward me And dance across the floor trippily Little faces keep no track of time Little faces speaking out in rhyme Little faces smiling in my mind Tiny doors For walking through sticky fingers clutch forbidden things the phone For talking through Sinking ships On a foamy sea That tumbles from the motion of filthy Little hands In the dark When eyes are wide listen to secrets that I tell In a ball On tiny beds Or beneath them where the shadow people dwell moon Beams split the night Leave bars of yellow pasted on their faces As they drift into a dream

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix