Home | Community | Message Board

Fairy Ring Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineGandhi
Stranger

Will they colonize?
    #2977428 - 08/08/04 04:39 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

AFOAF recently inoculated 5 canning jars with 6 jars worth of substrate in them. He didn't want to waste a jar worth of substrate because he's a cheap son of a bitch, so he packed all the substrate within the jars. Now he's afraid that they wont colonize because they dont have enough air in them. He wants to know whether they will colonize or not. thanks.

--------------------
Be the change that you want to see in the world. - Mohandas Gandhi

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinenegative
Positive
Re: Will they colonize? [Re: Gandhi]
    #2977432 - 08/08/04 04:46 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

uuuuh...what do u mean? he's so cheap that instead of making another jar with the 1 jars worth that was "ledt over". he decided to seperate it into 5ths and pack that in each jar? Well, i guess if that is the case id say your "friend" is counter productive. However the jars if they are indeed packed to tight may colonize but it might just take a REALLY REALLY long time. try it and find out. But make sure u have some back up

OfflineGandhi
Stranger

Re: Will they colonize? [Re: negative]
    #2977438 - 08/08/04 04:51 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

no, he mixed up the substrate and then realized he had 5 jars and was making enough substrate for 6 jars and then packed them all in nice and good. he's a dumbass, i know, but he did 5 more jars before that and they're colonizing nice and good right now.

--------------------
Be the change that you want to see in the world. - Mohandas Gandhi

OfflineSpudz76
Got mycelium on the brain...
Male

Re: Will they colonize? [Re: Gandhi]
    #2977447 - 08/08/04 05:01 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah probably will take forever, or not fully colonize when they run out of air. I have a few which settled too much during PC step (and probably also were overfilled/overwet), but I'm also using whole grain rice so it gets mushy anyway which doesn't help the verm hold up the air pockets. I thought I was screwed but now they are showing a small sign of beginning to colonize at least, as they dry out some. You can inject hydrogen peroxide later on once some mycelium take hold (peroxide kills spores, but not live mycelium) which will fizz like crazy releasing oxygen into the jars and maybe making some of its own air pockets as it bubbles up through the substrate.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Will they colonize? [Re: Spudz76]
    #2977784 - 08/08/04 11:30 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Make sure you shake them when sign start showing and at like 50%, maybe help pull in some air..I dunno though..good luck with them and dont pack it in next time, you may have just wasted 5 jars of grain, spome spores, your time and space in your incubator (precious for me) instead of some excess grain. Jars of grains should only be about 2/3 full anyway so you can shake them so next time make sure you gots plenty of jars :smile: I made alot my first time..this stuff swells to 4+ times its friggen size. AH well, live and learn.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineShaqAttack
JarHead

Loc: Armpit of the North East
Re: Will they colonize? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #2979697 - 08/09/04 12:47 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I had the same problem. I jammed my jars full to the top -  thinking more is better. Just the top 25% of the 1qt jars colonized - then they stalled.
    If you have a glove box or sterile enviroment - maybe you could open the jars up an dump out 25%-33% of the substrate. Or even split the jars in 1/2 by dumpibg 1/2 into a sterile jar.
    I was able to use the jars that were 25% colonized and stalled for something - I did a grain to grain transfer with the top 25% colonized part and that seemed to work out good for me (knock on wood) - at least it wasn't a total loss. I thought the remaining jars with the 75% might colonize from getting some air and a good shaking - but the were too dry and a total loss.
    I now fill all my jars 50% - live and learn    :rockon:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation