Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Anonymous

Re: The King of Shit returns! [Re: Anonymous]
    #84934 - 05/01/00 01:43 PM (23 years, 10 months ago)

The new vicks steam unit I picked up outputs about 160F in steam on low dimmer setting. The substrate consequently runs from 160-180 (I added more air dampers and even did a top off run). With the stick holes distributed throughout the compost I can knock almost another 10F off the temps. Still this does not satisfy me. I want to lock at 140F for 2 days and lock at 120F for the remaining days. When I get time I will do some more compost run experiments and work on this some more.

The Learner
Deranged Scientist,
King of Shit

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

#84935 - 05/03/00 02:46 PM (23 years, 10 months ago)

Wow! You should sell these. Perhaps possible to make one out of a little Restaraunt Type Steam Table Soup Warmer Thingie? A little more expensive, I suppose, but maybe something a mechanically challenged monkey like me could hobble together.

Anonymous

#84936 - 05/03/00 06:29 PM (23 years, 10 months ago)

Technically I guess you could just put a pot on a low boil on the stove to generate steam and put a container full of shit on top of that.. stink up your whole house, but hey! :smile:

I prefer the Vicks WarmMist vaporizer. Its non metal carbon based elements run longest without cleaning (150 hours) and the unit has a safety feature (automatic shut off if the water runs out)...

I can consider this type of project pretty low on the difficulty totem pole. Give it a try without adding a dimmer switch or modifying the power cord on the steamer unit. Just buy a cooler, the Vicks WarmMist, cut a hole in the cooler foam for the Vicks steam nozzle unit to fit through and steam Hay and Steam Wood Bark.... save compost for when you do get around to modifying the power.

National Semiconductor provides a lot of temperature sensors and DACs, application notes, and all sorts of goodies for the electronically inclined shroomerite to put together a temperature controlled AC power switch. Just like your oven, turns on when temperature is below X and turns off when temperature goes above Y, but works in the lower temp ranges with the accuracy we need to work with.

Of course you can do the brain dead old school technique of just running the steam through xyz length of copper tubing to conduct away a lot of the temperature before piping it into the styrofoam cooler.

The Learner
Too god damn busy,
to do shit for a while.

[This message has been edited by The Learner (edited May 03, 2000).]

OfflineHumidity
Mad Scientist
Loc: Somewhere in Northeast OH
    #274606 - 03/19/01 11:27 AM (23 years, 14 days ago)

Back from the dead. Wow this was a good post.

--------------------
_____________________________________________________________________________________
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking

OfflineMrBoomer
Stranger
    #281781 - 03/29/01 05:57 PM (23 years, 4 days ago)

Is there any reason why the pictures in the original post aren't showing? I'd really like to see them. Is this posted somewhere else?

InvisibleJustAnotherTraveler
Sporalized

Re: The King of Shit returns! [Re: MrBoomer]
    #281833 - 03/29/01 07:30 PM (23 years, 4 days ago)

MrBoomer,

You should be able to find the pix you are looking for here:

http://www.gorsky.com/~pdilley/main/mushrooms_composter.html

Peace,
jat

--------------------
Well he loved and laughed and floated past

the echoes of a velvet mind, that whispered fairy tales untold

that kissed his mind, carressed his soul-

OfflineMNmyc
enthusiast

Loc: MN
Re: The King of Shit returns! [Re: mycofile]
    #282003 - 03/29/01 10:52 PM (23 years, 4 days ago)

For those of us who want to do it indoors, How about this.

Only cut 2 holes in the lid, 1 for thermometer, 1 for a well perforated pvc pipe to pass through which then runs along the length of the cooler. And no holes along the long walls

I don't know if ammonia is lighter or heavier than air, but the pvc fittings could then be attached to hoses which could vent the ammonia to the sewer stack through a shallow elbow of water. or insert the hose through the lid of a sealed tupperware container to the bottom and then insert another hose only an inch. The other end gets plumbed to the sewer stack (just shove it through the laundry tub drain and make sure it goes past the water in the p trap). Or plumb it directly like I will. And the humidifier could probably be plumbed with a float valve and icemaker kit to the building water supply. Never, ever, have to refill. Constant source of compost tea for plants etc. Just have to empty the reclamation tank before it backs up into the composter.

I assume that the humidifier would generate enough pressure to accomplish this.

Any thoughts?

--------------------
Life is what happens while you're making other plans...

OfflineEddie Walker
enthusiast

Re: The King of Shit returns! [Re: MrBoomer]
    #282169 - 03/30/01 10:12 AM (23 years, 3 days ago)

One of the mods or The Learner would have to edit in these links
http://www.gorsky.com/~pdilley/images/mushrooms/composter/top_composter.jpg
http://www.gorsky.com/~pdilley/images/mushrooms/composter/full_composter.jpg
http://www.gorsky.com/~pdilley/images/mushrooms/composter/complete_composter.jpg

and here are the pictures.

But really you can just click here on PeterDilley.com and then on mushrooms to see it. He actually has a few other things on there that look cool.

Spores The Hawks Eye-Supplies F.P.

--------------------
Mycology Supplies[blue]Fungi Perfecti[/blue]

OfflineHumidity
Mad Scientist
Re: The King of Shit returns! [Re: Eddie Walker]
    #282246 - 03/30/01 12:04 PM (23 years, 3 days ago)

JustAnotherTraveler great link.

--------------------
_____________________________________________________________________________________
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking

OfflineMNmyc
enthusiast

Re: The King of Shit returns! [Re: Humidity]
    #282761 - 03/31/01 01:31 AM (23 years, 3 days ago)

I was so inspired that I went to So. St. Paul and loaded up a box of shit. And since I found it (a box of shit) I went and built one of those things..............

As you can tell by the length of my dots, I'm happy!!!!

Now all I need is something to................................................

p.s. dont try to build this while it's running, it hurts that way.
p.s.s. styrofoam sucks. Acquire a more substansial cooler if you don't have one already.

PSSSSSSSSSSSS Roto-zip bits fit dremels!! And vice-versa! But the dremel is more controllable.

Edited by MNmyc on 03/31/01 03:52 AM.

--------------------

OfflineHumidity
Mad Scientist
Re: The King of Shit returns! [Re: MNmyc]
    #282955 - 03/31/01 12:09 PM (23 years, 2 days ago)

MNmyc keep us updated on the quality of the compost that this thing produces. See if you can get some pictures of your composter.

Edited by Humidity on 03/31/01 02:12 PM.

--------------------

OfflineMNmyc
enthusiast

Re: The King of Shit returns! [Re: Humidity]
    #283278 - 03/31/01 08:19 PM (23 years, 2 days ago)

I'll keep an eye out for a cheap digicam. But in the mean time I'm kinda screwed.

I didn't cut a bunch of vent holes either, but I'm gonna have to modify a reclamation device with my S.O.'s hair dryer to produce the vaccuum needed to evacuate the ammonnia build up. The vaporizer sucks in this regard due to it's design.

I'm already thinking of a solution. Like maybe an espresso machine mod? They have plenty of pressure. But I'm not sure about the volume of steam, though.

--------------------

OfflineMNmyc
enthusiast

#283439 - 04/01/01 04:21 AM (23 years, 2 days ago)

mineral content of the water used determines how much steam is produced in my unit. Learner, maybe you have *hard water and you probably would be better off using distilled water and then adding a pinch of salt if you have to (and no more!) to control your temperature. I'm new to steam humidifiers and I just learned this the hard way, mine isn't vented at all except the drain hole and one 1/2 in. hole in the lid.

And I also have to qualify this by saying that this is the dry run and I don't have positive ventilation hooked up yet. I'm trying to get the temp markings on the dimmer set right now, I will post again once I get the temps close and fill it.

*I mean hard water, sorry for the mix up.
*5 hours and I think I finally figured that the marks won't mean shit when I fill it @#&^&%@..... I've been up all night, but I'm gonna mix up some 'shit' and get it adjusted, then I'll sleep. If neccessary, please forgive any lucid posts I make.
*8:15: shit loaded temp 120 f and rising with no scent of leakage (I vented through my chimney drain and it seems to eliminate pressure issues). Whew!

Edited by MNmyc on 04/01/01 11:36 PM.

--------------------

OfflineMNmyc
enthusiast

#283857 - 04/01/01 10:01 PM (23 years, 1 day ago)

Well, I'm not sure how this will turn out, but I mixed together what looked like the proper proportions of materials except that I put in twice as much blood meal as called for by mistake. And since the manure wasn't as dry as it could have been, I skipped the water and went straight to the box. It hit a good 180 f without stinkin' up the place.

Started to let it cool to 150 f at 10:00 am. Took me about 4 hours to get it right. Gonna have to do something about that. No ammonia smell yet, maybe by tommorrow afternoon.

--------------------

OfflineMNmyc
enthusiast

#286402 - 04/05/01 03:34 PM (22 years, 11 months ago)

dimmer fried... A thousand watt was $15. F**k that. Gonna try 2 cheapies in paralell. Hopefully 2 pots in paralell will make it easier to balance.

--------------------

OfflineRxwoman
Loc: the great plains, USA.
    #290835 - 04/11/01 04:44 PM (22 years, 11 months ago)

Yes, you are correct. This compost pasteurizer is taken straight out of the Harris book. I have a copy of it from a kit I bought back in the early 80's. I still have it.
Rxwoman.

Offlinemorlahere
addict
    #291323 - 04/12/01 02:59 AM (22 years, 11 months ago)

how's it coming on?

OfflineMNmyc
enthusiast

Re: The King of Shit returns! [Re: morlahere]
    #297429 - 04/20/01 05:33 AM (22 years, 11 months ago)

Got pissed at the fact that I can't seem to balance the system. So I took the cooked straw, tossed it in a bleached sterilite, let it cool, and innoculated with a full syringe of pan cyan (i think).

I'm keeping it in a black cinch sack and as of last night there is about 33% surface colonization.

I think for my "reclamation" type of setup, I will just have to purchase one of those radioshack temp modules and use a duty cycle rather than analogously adjusting the power to the unit.

Anyone else?

--------------------

Offlineholographic mind
veteran

#297584 - 04/20/01 11:52 AM (22 years, 11 months ago)

The learner is a cock, that picture is of cop cyan grown on dung not compost and it is not his picture, it was taken from www.ngeurotrade.com.

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
    #299353 - 04/22/01 10:38 PM (22 years, 11 months ago)

elaborate on the temp module thingy please

"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi (also a registered mad scientist tm)

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures