Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Toilet Paper

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineNorthernsoul
Your Reality

Loc: Inner Eye
The Methadone Support and Information Group
    #2975444 - 08/07/04 03:24 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Welcome to the Shroomery Methadone Support and Information Group.

This is where people who have had experience with methadone treatment, or are thinking about getting treatment with methadone, can post thier experiences, and ask questions relating to methadone.

Please, if you have a story to share about the treatment. Or have questions about the treatment, please feel free to ask. If this thread does not get the attention I hope it gets, I will discontinue the thread and possibly start a new group.

There are rules, and they are:

1. No recreational dosing questions
2. Only Methadone related posts
3. No opiate questions, except in conjunction with methadone as a tool for curing opiate addiction.

Please feel free to post your own links.

Some Basic Info:

There are 2 different addictions:

1- Physical addiction : The body needing a dose at the time of the of the next dose, if no dose is taken then withdrawal begins.

2- Psycological addiction: Withdrawal This is when you just want and have a craving to take pills for the high.

Pain pills do make you feel good (euphoric feeling of well being). Getting high is what you can call it. I found that the more pain you are in the less of a "high" you get. As with any narcotic there is the potential of addiction. The reason doctors do not want you to take pain medication to often, such as 1 every 6 hours is the more you take the closer you get to becoming addicted. Even though your pain needs more medication. If pain pills are taken to often every day & night for about 15-20 days or more your body will start to become physically addicted, meaning your body begins to require the pills just to keep the brain satisfied and to keep withdrawal at bay..

The more pills you take the more you need. This cycle snowballs. The more tolerant you become usually means the more addicted you are becoming.

Withdrawal
Methadone if taken for long periods and at large doses can lead to a very long withdrawal period. As compared to other opiates in which the withdrawal period is a week to ten days, heavy methadone users can expect to not recover for up to 5 or 6 weeks. So don't use methadone any longer than needed. If your treatment takes you on a long term course such as myself (used daily for chronic pain) then be sure your doctor knows of this long duration of recovery. If not you could get into a position where the doctor may change drugs or stop the methadone suddenly. According to most medical books withdrawal from opiate addiction should be treated in the hospital. Withdrawal is one of the worst feelings that you can ever go through. This goes for any of the agonist opiates such as percocet/percodan/tylox/oxy contin/roxicet/roxilox=(oxycodone), vicodin/lortab/lorcet=(hydrocodone), codeine, morphine, demeral, demeral=(meperidine), methadone, fentanyl, opium, heroin, dilaudid=(hydromorphone), darvon/darvocet (propoxyphene).

You start by taking opiates/pills for a long duration or take much more per dose than prescribed. For me what I noticed early was after I had taken my last dose for the night I would go to bed then the pain would wake me night after night so I would take a dose relieving pain then go on back to sleep. Then over time I was cut back on my meds. So I no longer had the meds to cover the late night pain. After being cut back I then could not go back to sleep from the usual pain and unbeknowing withdrawal. After being awakened every night/early morning for a few weeks I tried taking another pill. After it started to work I noticed I was feeling more like "normal". I would get the pain relief and I became drowsy enough I eventually was able to fall back asleep. Now after a bit of time I figured out what was going on. My brain needed a dose to hold back withdrawal and the pain.

Now on with withdrawal. When the time comes not having the drug to take early on the first day without then you start getting flu like symptoms. Pain thru-out the body, runny nose, sneezing, fever, insomnia, diarrhea, unable to consentrate , restlessness, anxiety, grouchyness.

Now if you go into the second or third day and are left without treatment or not consuming an opiate (pain pill, shootup) things get worse. You get muscle spasms, nausea, worse case of diarrhea, vomiting, severe backache, stomach pains, hot and cold flashes, insomnia, intestinal spasm, repetitive sneezing, blood pressure rise, bone and muscle pain, you also get very intolerant of life, feelings of suicide along with wanting to jump out of your skin.

Depending on the drug and dosage, your suffering could be tolerable such as until after a few days you can get over it. Though if you are in a condition such as mine where unfortunatly your pain is chronic or you are a heavy user and the only way to have any life is meds. then you fall into the area of horrible withdrawls as stated above.

Every case is different.

Here are some pictures (Some old) of Methadone, and methadone artifacts....

Edited by Northernsoul (08/07/04 03:35 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Re: The Methadone Support and Information Group [Re: Northernsoul]
    #2975928 - 08/07/04 06:06 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

i just thought i would put in that an 80 year old relative of mine is starting methadone treatment for her addiction to opiate pain medication wich symptoms of arthritis have required her to take in the past. i'm putting htis in as a reminder that methadone treatment does not nescesarily have to carry a stigma of drug use/addiction. some people often need to be reminded that methadone as a treatment is a *treatment* and that people using it are trying to get healthy. don't let others make you feel ashamed of getting help if you need it.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Offlineshroominsmurf
enthusiast
Loc: Where The Good Times Are
Re: The Methadone Support and Information Group [Re: Northernsoul]
    #2976460 - 08/07/04 09:26 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

That kind of scares me a tad, i myself have chronic pain caused by arthritis, i also take extended release pain pills. which i will probably do all my life, although i do not know what the future may bring, i have tested the waters of withdrawl, by skipping my morning dose so i can take both doses at night but by mid evening i get really sweaty and get hot and cold flashes and occasionally i get irritated easy, i see it but i can't make it go away. im glad to see this support group is here, i may need it someday. and im sure it will be helpful for many. northernsoul i congrat you for making this. peace

OfflineNorthernsoul
Your Reality

Loc: Inner Eye
Re: The Methadone Support and Information Group [Re: canid]
    #2978582 - 08/08/04 04:51 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

So many people think that since methadone is in the same catagory as opiates, that you can get high off of it. But the reality is that once you take the same dose given to you for a week, it doesnt have an effect on the person anymore except physicaly. Psycologicaly, and anything to do with the CNS (Central Nerveous System) isnt noticable anymore. Meaning: You dont get high off of it.

The very first dose I took of Methadone I got a small buzz, but after that, I didnt feel anything at all. The only thing I noticed were postive changes. I broke out of the daily routine of waking up, going through the ritual of preparing my opiates, the ritual of consuming them while listening to music and so on, and the ritual of sleep off the withdrawl untill the next morning.
Now of course I have the ritual of just gulping 23mg of a bitter tasting kool-aid, and the rest of the day is now free of anything drug related. Giving me lots of time to live life alot fuller, and without the fog of opiates.

I recomend this treatment to anybody wanting to break free of the grips of these medications, and drugs.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: Toilet Paper

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being