Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

Sleep apnea sucks ass
    #2975091 - 08/07/04 12:30 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

For those who don't know, sleep apnea is a condition where you stop breathing during sleep, causing you to slightly wake up, or at least alert your CNS so that your sleep is distrubed. This can happen up to 300 times per night, according to one website.

I did a sleep test, and they concluded I did it over 300 times in 3 hours! Well, I got a CPAP machine which forces air down your throat to force little flaps of skin in your throat to remain open (a major cause is that those flaps block the breathing passages so no air gets to the body). Even though it's still better than not using it, I constantly wake up tired, sometimes more tired than when I go to sleep.

I use a lot of coffee & guarana seed powder for physical and mental energy, but I don't think this is health long term. I think I'm not getting the quality sleep I need. Does anyone have any experience with this? Any advice or ideas?

--------------------
The very nature of experience is ineffable; it transcends cognitive thought and intellectualized analysis. To be without experience is to be without an emotional knowledge of what the experience translates into. The desire for the understanding of what life is made of is the motivation that drives us all. Without it, in fear of the experiences what life can hold is among the greatest contradictions; to live in fear of death while not being alive.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblezeta
Stranger

Re: Sleep apnea sucks ass [Re: Twirling]
    #2977168 - 08/08/04 01:54 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Are you overweight?

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
    #2978247 - 08/08/04 02:44 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Found this article about it:

"Sleep apnea can cause many health problems - stroke, heart attack, high blood pressure. Sleep apnea can also cause the symptoms of clinical depression. Once the sleep apnea is treated and under control, most of the depression symptoms disappear.

People with diabetes are twice as likely to suffer from depression as non-diabetics. Research suggests that depression often helps trigger the diabetes.

Yet another study reveals that adults with obstructive sleep apnea are three times more likely to also have diabetes. The study suggests that anyone going to a doctor for a sleep apnea exam should also request he or she be screened for diabetes.

Why are these three disorders so often seen together? The answer is simple - excess weight gain.

Sponsored Links
Sleep Apnea
Learn about SAS health risks Get info to take to your doctor
www.healthysleep.com

Anti Snore Device
Stop Snoring Yourself To Death Get Relief From Sleep Apnea
www.sleepwizard.com

Sleep Apnea, CPAP Support
Info and services for CPAP users News, cleaning, fitting, education
www.myresmed.com
Depression often causes a propensity to overeat, plus there is sometimes little energy or desire to get out and exercise. The result? Added and unwanted pounds.

Excess weight is a very common factor in people with sleep apnea. Once you become an apnea victim, even more weight piles on. Not only is the ability or desire to exercise even more decreased, sleep apnea seems to cause changes in the body that lead to weight gain.

Overeating and a lack of exercise are prime factors in the development of type 2 diabetes. Diabetes again leads back to depression and the same vicious circle.

Obesity is, according to Diabetes News, second only to smoking as the leading cause of preventable death in the U.S. Unfortunately, those who are overweight don't believe that the weight causes a serious threat to their health. Many of them won't even admit that they are seriously overweight.

This self-imposed blindness adds to the risk. Obesity, as I have mentioned, is a large factor in sleep apnea, diabetes and depression. It can also lead to high blood pressure, high or abnormal cholesterol levels, heart disease and stroke. It is even thought that obesity can cause certain types of cancer."

Sounds like exercise is a pretty important factor in preventing this condition. Exercise is a great all around preventative as well! How long do you think this has been going on?

http://sleepdisorders.about.com/cs/relatedproblems/a/diadeap.htm

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

Re: Sleep apnea sucks ass [Re: Jellric]
    #2980038 - 08/09/04 02:40 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I am somewhat overweight, mostly from the start of a depression awhile ago when I lacked the energy to excersie. Then I started Remeron, which was great for depression & anxiety, but it also causes weight gain since 45 minutes after taking it, you end up getting munchies as if you smoked some nice weed.

I think I've always been somewhat tired, but I think the weight gain probably made the sleep apnea worse, which made the weight gain worse from draining energy, which of course makes the sleep apnea worse etc....

I've been trying to lose weight off & on. A lot of stress makes it hard to stick to it, but I've been running & lifting weights a bit. I think once I start college again and have a regular schedule, I'll have more structure which will give me more energy & motivation. Thanks for the articles.

--------------------
The very nature of experience is ineffable; it transcends cognitive thought and intellectualized analysis. To be without experience is to be without an emotional knowledge of what the experience translates into. The desire for the understanding of what life is made of is the motivation that drives us all. Without it, in fear of the experiences what life can hold is among the greatest contradictions; to live in fear of death while not being alive.

OfflineUncleMike
Visionary
Male

Loc: S.W. Virginia
    #2980642 - 08/09/04 08:14 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I't looks like you have the answers to your problem. Just stick to your exersise program. Get up get moving, and good luck.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being