Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblequestion_for_joo
i'm left. youall can bite me
Re: Terence Mckenna another piece of shit agent. [Re: Droz]
    #2976529 - 08/07/04 08:02 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Hi Droz, in honor of your intelligent comment I put on a TM recording called Light of the Third Millenium (Chicago). I haven't listened to any McKenna in a while. Just thought I'd let ya know.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineferago2
gnubie
Re: Terence Mckenna another piece of shit agent. [Re: zee_werp]
    #2976555 - 08/07/04 08:13 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I'm not going to get drawn into this arguement because I don't know much about T.M., but what exactly about his work is so impressive or appealing to the majority of you folks? I recently read an article by a mathematician who had found a flaw in timewave zero, been in corespondence with McKenna, and eventually got his admission that the theory was probably wrong/miscalculated.

If even he admits his work to be untrue, what value do you see it having?

I'm genuinly curious why people appreciate it so much.

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
Re: Terence Mckenna another piece of shit agent. [Re: ferago2]
    #2976572 - 08/07/04 08:25 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Its not his "science" that is so cool man its his philosophy and his open-to-everything mind.

Another thing he was very vocal about was the ways we pile up theories on top of one another - perhaps his timewave was a display of the lunacy of such modern science.. He knew we've got it all wrong.

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Offlineekomstop
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
    #2976577 - 08/07/04 08:27 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

ferago2 said:I recently read an article by a mathematician who had found a flaw in timewave zero, been in corespondence with McKenna, and eventually got his admission that the theory was probably wrong/miscalculated.

Interesting. Is the article available on the net anywhere? I'd really like to read it.

Offlineferago2
gnubie
Re: Terence Mckenna another piece of shit agent. [Re: ekomstop]
    #2976596 - 08/07/04 08:37 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

http://serendipity.nofadz.com/ft/autopsy.html

A lot of mathematics which I don't have the background to follow completely unfortunately. This quote is what struck me the most out of it:

Terence and I had four lengthy, good natured, and most enjoyable discussions during the week I was in Palenque, and I was able to explain my critique step-by-step. By the final discussion he seemed to have fully grasped the nature of the problem, and had admitted that the theory appeared to have "no basis in rational thought". He claimed (and this struck me as sincere) that he was only interested in the truth, and that someone "disproving" the theory was just as a much of a relief to him as someone confirming its validity. He proposed that we collaborate on a piece provisionally entitled "Autopsy for a Mathematical Hallucination" in which we would carefully take the theory apart and see what had gone wrong. He claimed that I was the first person to approach him with a serious mathematical critique of his ideas, partly explaining why such an unjustifiable theory had not only survived for so long, but also attracted so much interest and attention.

Anonymous

Re: Mckenna [Re: ferago2]
    #2977621 - 08/08/04 07:13 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

thanks for the reference ferago2. :smile:

this quote from Watkins' artcle seems worthwhile too:

?On a more positive note, I should add that I don't find McKenna's timewave exploit to be completely without value. Certain observations (such as the absence of 5's in the set {h(1),...,h(64)} and the correspondence of the Chinese 13-lunation ritual calendar with six 64-day cycles) are certainly worthy of further consideration. It wouldn't surprise me if a fractal map of temporal resonance was encoded into the King Wen sequence, just as it wouldn't surprise me if something quite remarkable does occur on December 21, 2012. The world can be a very strange place, and we all have much to learn. McKenna's hyper-imaginative speculation has fired the imagination of many. With this particular "theory" he has spread awareness of the I Ching and the Mayan calendar, both fascinating and poorly understood systems of ancient human thought. I should therefore end by suggesting that the remainder of his published thought should not be dismissed as a result of my findings which are discussed here.?

i am reminded, as one so often is, of the Hegelian dialectic: thesis + antithesis -> new thesis, usw.

i think Mckenna appreciated the dialectic, as your quote indicates ferago2. :thumbup:

Offlinesoylent_green
The greatEnitsuj
Female

Loc: Ontario
Re: Mckenna [Re: ]
    #2977791 - 08/08/04 09:36 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

i've never read anything by Mckenna, im sure i'll pick read one some day.
but..sure the mazatec new there shit. but they weren't the only ones. mabey people only go as far as they are suppose too..??

don't be so harsh

--------------------
What fun is it in Nirvana while other beings are suffering?

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #2977823 - 08/08/04 09:52 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

If we are all truly one, then agents are just a dark part of the mass consciousness that need love and acceptance in order to integrate and be transcended.

--------------------

OfflineDroz
Love of Life
 User Gallery

Loc: Floorida
Re: Terence Mckenna another piece of shit agent. [Re: Shroomism]
    #2978399 - 08/08/04 01:51 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Shroomism you can't change an agents of the system that easy they need lots of debugging.

--------------------
Evolution of Time.

Offlinetnecseda
birther to none
    #2978977 - 08/08/04 05:49 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

love is apocalypse of hate.pain is from those who hate to those who love.those who love stop all from hating,it doesn't happen quickkly from the human perspective but its coming,so its not long.i die everytime i bring love to you.

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
    #2979394 - 08/08/04 09:03 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

I recently read an article by a mathematician who had found a flaw in timewave zero, been in corespondence with McKenna, and eventually got his admission that the theory was probably wrong/miscalculated.

I've heard too that the original timewave zero version had a mathematical flaw, but a mathematician found a way to fix it and created the Revised Timewave Zero graph.

Well, let's see if something happens on 2007, as the graph indicates.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

Invisiblefungusflip
visionary

Loc: texas
    #2991354 - 08/11/04 01:51 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Droz said:
I've read the books, and i've experienced a little mckennaism, so don't call me an idiot. I beleive he was out looking for the secrets, but agents will always seem a little friendly just to find a little information.

terrance and his brother were both under investigation by the FBI and the CIA at one time at which time they both fled the country. these brothers had access to classified information and these intelligence agencies couldn't figure out how they knew some of the things that they were exposing in a public forum. they were considered threats to society for what they were revealing to the masses. same as jesus, or joan of arc, etc. i don't even know why i waste my time on this. you have the guy all twisted. terrance also secured funding for a botanical garden in the hawiian islands that is a preserve for many, many species of psycotropic plants. guess who the funding came from? the Rockefellers. sp. look them up! they are running shit. think knights templars, freemasons, secret societies with secret knowlege.

--------------------
let it be know, there is a fountain that was not made by the hands of men.

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Re: Terence Mckenna another piece of shit agent. [Re: fungusflip]
    #2992083 - 08/11/04 04:46 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Some claim the government somehow gave him (as well as many other social troublemakers) cancer.

I don't believe it, but I wouldn't be suprised if it were proven.

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.

InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis
 User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
Re: Terence Mckenna another piece of shit agent. [Re: Strumpling]
    #2992256 - 08/11/04 05:32 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

congradulations Droz, an analysis of a number of your posts has driven me to award you with a prize:

Least incomprehensible, most tripped-out mazatec lover on the board.

I enjoy your posts, but none of them have ever made any semblance of sense to me

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: Terence Mckenna another piece of shit agent. [Re: fungusflip]
    #2992597 - 08/11/04 06:34 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Uh huh. Terence fled the country because there was a warrant our for dealing hashish. Very Black Op...

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Invisibleninjapixie
 User Gallery

#2993485 - 08/11/04 10:16 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Mckenna was nothing more then a conspiracy theorist to me. The first two thirds of Food of the Gods was rubbish as was most of The Archaic Revival. He believed fungi came from outer space based on outdated evidence that no fungi was older then 40 millions years old - he was only 400 millions years off.

--------------------
Put that monkey back in the oven.

InvisibleNariusFractal
Sat Chit Ananda
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
Re: Terence Mckenna another piece of shit agent. [Re: ninjapixie]
    #2993850 - 08/11/04 11:18 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

"He believed fungi came from outer space based on outdated evidence that no fungi was older then 40 millions years old - he was only 400 millions years off. "

So he used the theories present at time, and synthesised a new theory? And if he learned about and accepted a newer, better theory, he would then modified his theory. So I believe based on countless hours of listening and reading his works.

He is a thinker, an open minded innovator and he blows my mind and my friends' minds.

--------------------
You are the microcosm of the macrocosm.

Invisibleninjapixie
 User Gallery

Re: Terence Mckenna another piece of shit agent. [Re: NariusFractal]
    #2994008 - 08/11/04 11:50 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

He had atleast six years to retract that theory before he died. Haven't heard or read him doing so. His ideas about mushrooms aiding human evolution was merely wishful thinking ignoring the more probable evidence (like most conspiracy theorists). I couldn't finish The Archaic revival cos it was such a load of rubbish. Only areas I agree with him is in drug reform. There are better more grounded drug activist/gurus out there.

--------------------
Put that monkey back in the oven.

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Re: Terence Mckenna another piece of shit agent. [Re: NariusFractal]
    #2994173 - 08/12/04 12:34 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

He always told people that if they can disprove his theories, to please do so and he would welcome their editions with opened arms.

The problem with that though had to do with his personality and his intellectual abilities. He could argue his way out of a fucking concentration camp

--------------------

InvisibleCJay
Dark Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Riding a bassline
    #2994681 - 08/12/04 06:42 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Are you a racist?

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract