Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Offlinefft2
journeyman

Republican-funded Group Attacks Kerry's War Record
    #2973320 - 08/06/04 07:12 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Republican-funded Group Attacks Kerry's War Record

Ad features vets who claim Kerry "lied" to get Vietnam medals. But one accuser quickly recants, and other witnesses disagree.

Summary

A group funded by the biggest Republican campaign donor in Texas began running an attack ad Aug. 5 in which former Swift Boat veterans claim Kerry lied to get one of his two decorations for bravery and two of his three purple hearts. However, one of the veterans who appears in the ad has already recanted his principal accusation against Kerry, in an interview with the Boston Globe

Some other veterans who accuse Kerry are contradicted by Kerry's former crewmen. One of the accusers says he was on another boat "a few yards" away during the incident which won Kerry the Bronze Star, but the former Army lieutenant whom Kerry plucked from the water that day backs Kerry's account.

Analysis

"Swift Boat Veterans for Truth" is a group formed March 23 after Kerry wrapped up the Democratic nomination. It held a news conference May 4 denigrating Kerry's military record and his later anti-war pronouncements during the 1970's. The group began running an attack ad Aug. 5 in which 13 veterans variously say Kerry is "not being honest" and "is lying about his record."

SBVT Ad "Any Questions?"

John Edwards: "If you have any questions about what John Kerry is made of, just spend 3 minutes with the men who served with him."

(On screen: Here's what those men this of John Kerry)

Al French: I served with John Kerry.

Bob Elder : I served with John Kerry.

George Elliott: John Kerry has not been honest about what happened in Vietnam.

Al French: He is lying about his record.

Louis Letson: I know John Kerry is lying about his first Purple Heart because I treated him for that injury.

Van O'Dell: John Kerry lied to get his bronze star...I know, I was there, I saw what happened.

Jack Chenoweth: His account of what happened and what actually happened are the difference between night and day.

Admiral Hoffman: John Kerry has not been honest.

Adrian Lonsdale: And he lacks the capacity to lead.

Larry Thurlow: When he chips were down, you could not count on John Kerry.

Bob Elder: John Kerry is no war hero.

Grant Hibbard: He betrayed all his shipmates...he lied before the Senate.

Shelton White: John Kerry betrayed the men and women he served with in Vietnam.

Joe Ponder: He dishonored his country...he most certainly did.

Bob Hildreth: I served with John Kerry...

Bob Hildreth (off camera) : John Kerry cannot be trusted.

There is reason to doubt the ad . For one thing, one of the men who appears in it, George Elliott, told the Boston Globe he had made a "terrible mistake" by accusing Kerry of not deserving one of his awards. Elliott appears in the ad saying "John Kerry has not been honest about what happened in Vietnam." Another reason for doubt is that the group's financing is strongly partisan.

Where the Money Comes From

The source of the Swift Boat group's financing wasn't known when it first surfaced, but a report filed July 15 with the Internal Revenue Services now shows its initial funding came mainly from a Houston home builder, Bob R. Perry, who has also given millions to the Republican party and Republican candidates, mostly in Texas, including President Bush and Republican Majority Leader Tom DeLay, whose district is near Houston.

Perry gave $100,000 of the $158,750 received by the Swift Boat group through the end of June, according to its disclosure report .

Perry and his wife Doylene also gave more than $3 million to Texas Republicans during the 2002 elections, according to a database maintained by the Institute on Money in State Politics . The Perrys also were among the largest Republican donors in neighboring Louisiana, where they gave $200,000, and New Mexico, where they gave $183,000, according to the database

At the federal level the Perrys have given $359,825 since 1999, including $6,000 to Bush's campaigns and $27,325 to DeLay and his political action committee, Americans for a Republican Majority, according the a database maintained by the Center for Responsive Politics .

"A Terrible Mistake"

Several of those who appear in the ad have signed brief affidavits, and we have posted some of them in the "supporting documents" section to the right for our visitors to evaluate for themselves. However, one of those affidavits already has been recanted by the man who signed it, Lieutenant Commander George Elliott, who had been Kerry's commanding officer. Elliott was quoted by the Boston Globe Aug 6 as saying he had made a "terrible mistake" in signing the affidavit against Kerry.

George Elliott: It was a terrible mistake probably for me to sign the affidavit with those words. I'm the one in trouble here. . . . I knew it was wrong . . . In a hurry I signed it and faxed it back. That was a mistake.

The statement Elliott now says was wrong had suggested that Kerry did not deserve the Silver Star -- his highest decoration -- which was awarded for an incident in which Kerry beached his boat and then pursued and killed an enemy soldier on the shore. Elliott had previously defended Kerry on that score when his record was questioned during his 1996 Senate campaign. At that time Elliott came to Boston and said Kerry acted properly and deserved the Silver Star.

It was Elliott who recommended Kerry both for the Silver Star and for the Bronze Star, his other decoration for valor. Despite recanting his affidavit regarding the Silver Star, Elliott told the Globe he has come to believe Kerry didn't deserve the second award, based on what the other anti-Kerry veterans have told him.

Elliott: I have chosen to believe the other men. I absolutely do not know first hand.

The Bronze Star & Third Purple Heart

The most serious allegation in the ad is that Kerry received both the Bronze Star, his second-highest decoration, and his third purple heart, which allowed him to be sent home early, under false pretenses.

Van O'Dell, a former Navy enlisted man who says he was the gunner on another Swift Boat, states in his affidavit that he was "a few yards away" from Kerry's boat on March 13, 1969 when Kerry pulled one of his crewmen from the water. According to the official medal citations, Kerry's boat was under enemy fire at the time, and Kerry had been wounded when an enemy mine exploded near his own boat. O'Dell insists "there was no fire" at the time, adding: "I did not hear any shots, nor did any hostile fire hit any boats" other than his own, PCF-3.

Others in the ad back up that account. Jack Chenoweth, who was a Lieutenant (junior grade) commanding PCF-3, said Kerry's boat "fled the scene" after a mine blast disabled PCF-3, and returned only later "when it was apparent that there was no return fire." And Larry Thurlow, who says he commanded a third Swift Boat that day, says "Kerry fled while we stayed to fight," and returned only later "after no return fire occurred."

Kerry Ad "Heart"

John Kerry: I was born in Fitzsimmons Army Hospital in Colorado, my dad was serving in the Army air corps. Both of my parents taught me about public service. I enlisted because I believed in service to country. I thought it was important, if you had a lot of privileges as I had had, to go to a great university like Yale, that you give something back to your country.

Del Sandusky: The decisions that he made saved our lives.

Jim Rassmann: When he pulled me out of the river, he risked his life to save mine.

Narrator: For more than 30 years John Kerry has served America.

Vanessa Kerry: If you look at my father's time and service to this country, whether it has been a veteran, prosecutor, or Senator, he has shown an ability to fight for things that matter.

Teresa Kerry: John is the face of someone who is hopeful, who is generous of spirit, and of heart.

John Kerry : We're a country of optimists...we're the can-do people, and we just need to believe in ourselves again.

Narrator: A lifetime of service and strength: John Kerry for President.

None of those in the attack ad by the Swift Boat group actually served on Kerry's boat. And their statements are contrary to the accounts of Kerry and those who served under him.

Jim Rassmann was the Army Special Forces lieutenant whom Kerry plucked from the water. Rassmann has said all along that he was under sniper fire from both banks of the river when Kerry, wounded, helped him aboard. Rassmann is featured in an earlier Kerry ad, in fact, (see script at left) saying "he (Kerry) risked his life to save mine."

The Kerry campaign put Rassmann and some of Kerry's former crewmen on a conference call with reporters to rebut the new ad.Gene Thorson told reporters, "These assertions are garbage; these people weren't there with John Kerry."

The Swift Boat Veterans for Truth further says Kerry didn't deserve his third purple heart, which was received for shrapnel wounds in left buttocks and contusions on right forearm. The affidavits state that the wound in Kerry's backside happened earlier that day in an accident. "Kerry inadvertently wounded himself in the fanny," Thurlow said in his affidavit, "by throwing a grenade too close (to destroy a rice supply) and suffered minor shrapnel wounds."

The grenade incident is actually supported by Kerry's own account, but the shrapnel wound was only part of the basis for Kerry's third purple heart according to official documents. The evidence here is contradictory.

Kerry's account is in the book Tour of Duty by Douglas Brinkley, who based it largely on Kerry's own Vietnam diaries and 12 hours of interviews with Kerry. "I got a piece of small grenade in my ass from one of the rice-bin explosions and then we started to move back to the boats," Kerry is quoted as saying on page 313. In that account, Kerry says his arm was hurt later, after the mine blast that disabled PCF-3, when a second explosion rocked his own boat. "The concussion threw me violently against the bulkhead on the door and I smashed my arm," Kerry says on page 314.

And according to a Navy casualty report released by the Kerry campaign, the third purple heart was received for "shrapnel wounds in left buttocks and contusions on his right forearm when a mine detonated close aboard PCF-94," Kerry's boat. As a matter of strict grammar, the report doesn't state that both injuries were received as a result of the mine explosion, only the arm injury.

The official citation for Kerry's Bronze Star refers only to his arm injury, not to the shrapnel wound to his rear. It says he performed the rescue "from an exposed position on the bow, his arm bleeding and in pain." The description of Kerry's arm "bleeding" isn't consistent with the description of a "contusion," or bruise.

In any case, even a "friendly fire" injury can qualify for a purple heart "as long as the 'friendly' projectile or agent was released with the full intent of inflicting damage or destroying enemy troops or equipment," according to the website of the Military Order of the Purple Heart. All agree that rice was being destroyed that day on the assumption that it otherwise might feed Viet Cong fighters.

Another major discrepancy raises a question of how close Kerry's accusers actually were to the rescue of Rassmann. Tour of Duty describes Rassmann's rescue (and the sniper fire) as happening "several hundred yards back" from where the crippled PCF-3 was lying, not "a few yards away," the distance from which the anti-Kerry veterans claim to have witnessed the incident.

First Purple Heart

Two who appear in the ad say Kerry didn't deserve his first purple heart. Louis Letson, a medical officer and Lieutenant Commander, says in the ad that he knows Kerry is lying about his first purple heart because ?I treated him for that.? However, medical records provided by the Kerry campaign to FactCheck.org do not list Letson as the ?person administering treatment? for Kerry?s injury on December 3, 1968 . The medical officer who signed this sick call report is J.C. Carreon, who is listed as treating Kerry for shrapnel to the left arm.

In his affidavit, Letson says Kerry's wound was self-inflicted and does not merit a purple heart. But that's based on hearsay, and disputed hearsay at that. Letson says ?the crewman with Kerry told me there was no hostile fire, and that Kerry had inadvertently wounded himself with an M-79 grenade.? But the Kerry campaign says the two crewmen with Kerry that day deny ever talking to Letson.

Also appearing in the ad is Grant Hibbard, Kerry?s commanding officer at the time. Hibbard?s affidavit says that he ?turned down the Purple Heart request,? and recalled Kerry's injury as a "tiny scratch less than from a rose thorn."

That doesn't quite square with Letson's affidavit, which describes shrapnel "lodged in Kerry's arm" (though "barely.")

Hibbard also told the Boston Globe in an interview in April 2004 that he eventually acquiesced about granting Kerry the purple heart.

Hibbard: I do remember some questions on it. . I finally said, OK if that's what happened. . . do whatever you want

Kerry got the first purple heart after Hibbard left to return to the US

McCain Speaks Up

Sen. John McCain -- who has publicly endorsed Bush and even appealed for donations to the President's campaign -- came to Kerry's defense on this. McCain didn't witness the events in question, of course. But he told the Associated Press in an August 5 interview:

McCain : I think the ad is dishonest and dishonorable. As it is none of these individuals served on the boat (Kerry) commanded. Many of his crewmates have testified to his courage under fire. I think John Kerry served honorably in Vietnam.

At this point, 35 years later and half a world away, we see no way to resolve which of these versions of reality is closer to the truth.

Sources

Michael Kranish,?Veteran Retracts Criticism of Kerry ,? The Boston Globe, 6 August 2004 .

Jodi Wilgoren, "Vietnam Veterans Buy Ads to Attack Kerry," The New York Times, 5 August 2004.

Douglas Brinkley, Tour of Duty, (NY, HarperCollins, 2004).

Ron Fournier, "McCain Condemns Anti-Kerry Ad," Associated Press, 5 August 2004.

Michael Kranish, "Kerry Faces Questions Over Purple Heart," The Boston Globe, 14 April 2004: A1.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleStein
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Republican-funded Group Attacks Kerry's War Record [Re: fft2]
    #2973689 - 08/06/04 08:53 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Regardless who funded this group, kerry is a fraud.

OfflineRedo
CTA

#2973903 - 08/06/04 10:16 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

And what about all the dem's funding for moveon.org

OfflineZahid
Stranger
    #2974204 - 08/06/04 11:50 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Those 'vets' are just pissed off because they nearly got ratted out for war crimes.

--------------------

OfflineHagbardCeline
Student-Teacher-Student-Teacher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Overjoyed, at the bottom ...
Re: Republican-funded Group Attacks Kerry's War Record [Re: Zahid]
    #2974281 - 08/07/04 12:25 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Not that I am convinced of these peoples war crimes but remember, John Kerry is the only who has admitted he is guilty of war crimes. I've seen nothing that would convince me of their guilt as of yet.

But let's pretend for a minute you find out your sister, who's married to your best friend, has been cheating and you think he deserves to know. Do you tell it at a party thrown for...let's say acceptance of investors in their business while giving a speech for everyone to hear? Or do you wait and tell them together in private?

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

OfflineZahid
Stranger
Re: Republican-funded Group Attacks Kerry's War Record [Re: HagbardCeline]
    #2974415 - 08/07/04 01:19 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Only a fanatic would compare adultery to bloodshed. Welcome to Riyadh.

--------------------

OfflineHagbardCeline
Male User Gallery

#2974449 - 08/07/04 01:27 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Was that really warranted?

I'm pretty sure you undertand the point of analogies.

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

OfflineZahid
Stranger
    #2974470 - 08/07/04 01:31 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Your example wasn't very good.

--------------------

OfflineHagbardCeline
Male User Gallery

#2974479 - 08/07/04 01:40 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

/sigh

I can't believe that would honestly think I am for one second comparing the severity of the two transgressions. The point of the analogy was to compare different ways speaking your mind and what way will best suit those you are trying to help.

Edit - Just to clarify. You would have been John Kerry. Your sister was the military, and your friend the American people/gov't. Even though she was your blood, she did wrong and you believe she should be held accountable. But by doing saying those thing in a way that would hurt far more people, far more worse than neccesary, what motivation could you possibly have? Why is that a bad analogy exactly?

--------------------

Edited by HagbardCeline (08/07/04 01:56 AM)

OfflineZahid
Stranger
    #2974516 - 08/07/04 01:49 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Yes, but action must be present.

--------------------

OfflineHagbardCeline
Male User Gallery

#2974529 - 08/07/04 01:55 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

See my above edit.

You are speaking about what you would have to do to bring attention to the injustice you perceived, correct?

Action is fine, but why not do in the way that best suits your cause?

--------------------

Edited by HagbardCeline (08/07/04 02:04 AM)

OfflineZahid
Stranger
    #2974616 - 08/07/04 03:01 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Alright, enough already. All I'm saying is that in retrospect, the big question isn't: "Will John Kerry or George Bush be the next President"? No - the real question, and this may be rhetorical to right winger, but the question is in retrospect: "If a frog had wings, would it still bump its ass when it hopped?" You see?

--------------------

OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Re: Republican-funded Group Attacks Kerry's War Record [Re: Stein]
    #2974749 - 08/07/04 05:35 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Wonder what Bush was doing during all of this?

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
    #2974806 - 08/07/04 06:47 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Michael Kranish,?Veteran Retracts Criticism of Kerry ,? The Boston Globe, 6 August 2004 .

Actually, Elliot has claimed he did no such thing.

EDIT: Replaced the incorrect person.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Edited by luvdemshrooms (08/07/04 07:11 AM)

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
    #2974823 - 08/07/04 07:02 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Go to the Drudge report http://www.drudge.com to get the scoop on Kranish. Elliot insists, in a signed affidavit that Kranish misquoted him and that he stands by his previous statement and affidavit that Kerry did not deserve his Silver Star.

Kranish has written Kerry's biography and on pg 102 of that tome quotes Kerry as saying he shot a fleeing VC in the back. That is what Kerry got the SS for. Elliot said he was unaware of that fact at the time he recommended Kerry for his medal.

Kranish has also received the commission to write the forward for the official account of the Kerry campaign. Can anyone see a conflict here?

Isn't the Globe owned by the NY Times??? Have these people lost their minds?? Do they think they can get away with this shit???

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: Republican-funded Group Attacks Kerry's War Record [Re: zappaisgod]
    #2974828 - 08/07/04 07:07 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

That's what I meant. Sorry. I used MK's initials by mistake instead of Elliots.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
Re: Republican-funded Group Attacks Kerry's War Record [Re: Stein]
    #2974959 - 08/07/04 09:04 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Stein said:

strong words from someone who hasnt been in combat...your a republican, so we know your a big man and ur balls drag on the floor, why not sign up and go fight?? goto iraq, earn some medals , save a life, be a man...you wont though, sad truth is you dont have half the testicular fortitude kerry did  :smirk:

OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Re: Republican-funded Group Attacks Kerry's War Record [Re: KingOftheThing]
    #2974967 - 08/07/04 09:11 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

If you're in favor of this war, you should be willing to go fight it. Put your life where your mouth is.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

OfflineJesusChrist
Son Of God
    #2974970 - 08/07/04 09:15 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

HagbardCeline said:
Not that I am convinced of these peoples war crimes but remember, John Kerry is the only who has admitted he is guilty of war crimes. I've seen nothing that would convince me of their guilt as of yet.

I think it is interesting that John Kerry admitted to war crimes but none of the liberals seem to care. How many front page stories does the New York Times run on Abu Garib?

John Kerry is an admitted war criminal.

--------------------
Tastes just like chicken

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: Republican-funded Group Attacks Kerry's War Record [Re: JesusChrist]
    #2975344 - 08/07/04 12:54 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

John Kerry is an admitted war criminal.

That doesn't matter. He's not Bush.

--------------------

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Re: Republican-funded Group Attacks Kerry's War Record [Re: KingOftheThing]
    #2975405 - 08/07/04 01:15 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

KingOftheThing said:
Quote:

Stein said:

strong words from someone who hasnt been in combat...

Either the statement is true or it is not. Whether the one making the statement has been in combat or not is irrelevant.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom