Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedeviation
w0000000t
Casing size experiment data
    #2965425 - 08/04/04 06:23 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Note -- I am reposting this in advanced because i think more people here will get usefull data out of it =)

--

I recently had some cakes which were ready to be cased. I bought "bread loaf" pans to case them in. Approx dimensions are like 6x4x3 inches (give or take), and they are meant for small breads.

I wanted to see how far I could stretch them, so I did the following experiment, with 3 fully colonized half pint PF cakes (PB strain). I split them up into five different casings. Here is what I did, complete with the first flush yields.

All were double cased in a 70/30 coir/verm mixture, cold shocked, and put in a perlite fruiting chamber. The cakes received 18 hours of full spectrum light each day from a "reptile bulb". All cakes were in the same chamber, under identical conditions, and rotated occasionally.

(Cake 1)
Case A - 2/3 of cake, 58.6g Wet
Case B - 1/3 of cake, 20.7g Wet
Total: 79.3

(Cake 2)
Case C - 1/2 of cake, 27.85g Wet
Case D - 1/2 of cake, 58.69g Wet
Total: 86.54

(Cake 3)
Case E - 1 FULL CAKE, 131.46g Wet
Total: 131.46

I honestly did not expect the results that I got! I figured the halfs would end up producing more than the single cake by itself (more water, surface area to grow, etc). I was totally proven wrong. You can draw your own conclusions based on the data, but the answer seems obvious to me - give a little more cake, get a lot more mushies.

anyone else have data like this?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Loc: Metropolis City, USA
Re: Casing size experiment data [Re: deviation]
    #2965782 - 08/04/04 08:09 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

that's a pretty neat experiment. i'm wondering if this would run consistently.

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.
To engage in boisterous, drunken merrymaking.

InvisiblePsyllyMe
LOST.......
Loc: Center of the Known Unive...
    #2966266 - 08/04/04 10:28 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Well its not exactly science.........

but one would assume that more cake/pan=more yeild

But that one cake coulda been the motherload.......

With no control its a tough case(no pun intended)at least you have a nice scale

yet, you did well

peace

Offlinedeviation
w0000000t
Re: Casing size experiment data [Re: PsyllyMe]
    #2969045 - 08/05/04 05:02 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I have another single cake casing on its way as well. It should begin pinning in the next few days. My roommate has also tried giving his casings more BRF to see if they get any bigger than normal.

I will keep the updates comming, this is only the beginning of the whole process.

Again, we are just looking for the best yield per cake possible for PF style cakes. Of course, you could do much better with bulk.. but a lot of people don't want to go that route.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #2972971 - 08/06/04 05:27 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I hear different substrates do better thicker then thinner and some do better thinner then thicker. Some substrates are good for deep and some are meant for surface area basically. This is what I hear. I will be looking into this myself as I have been also trying to find a good mix using grains. These I hear do better in thinner casings with more surface area, but were talking 2"inches substrate depth when I say thinner so a little thicker then yours were. Anyways, interesting results.

I know its only an experiment too but casings shouldnt have any BRF, casing is just to hold water not food. You'll leave yourself open to contaminants.

OfflineKillBill
Quick Learner
Re: Casing size experiment data [Re: scatmanrav]
    #2983385 - 08/09/04 08:06 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I was planning on putting whole cakes into their own seperate bins but, i think somethings wrong with your experiment in general, such as the lack of cakes to work with and Do multiple 1/3 casing and 1/2 casings and so on, because if you look at Cake #2 each casing was a half cake and yet their Margin of yield is HUGE!

This Experiment was without enough subjects, otherwise how do you explain case A ( Cake 1 being 2/3's of a cake) yielding the same as Case D which was half a cake?

Cake 1)
Case A - 2/3 of cake, 58.6g Wet
Cake 2)
Case D - 1/2 of cake, 58.69g Wet

And lets not Forget Case B and C, which are not the same Amount of cake but pretty close in weight.

Cake 1)
Case B - 1/3 of cake, 20.7g Wet
Cake 2)
Case C - 1/2 of cake, 27.85g Wet

It was still a good experiment but dude i think it depends too much on the cake itself, More cakes to work with next time and maybe a whole Alphabet of Cases (which i know i don't have the resources or time to do, so i'm not at all telling you to) to study will make things more accurate, but other than that, i'm glad to see you got such nice yields :-D

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
Re: Casing size experiment data [Re: KillBill]
    #2984912 - 08/10/04 05:06 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

You really need to use monoculture to do experiments like these.

Each of the cakes were made up of many different individuals. At least you were comparing the same cakes, but that isn't quite monoculture since each cake will have quite a mix of individuals.

It's like testing two different people... you don't expect them to get the same score.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Casing size experiment data [Re: fastfred]
    #2992456 - 08/11/04 06:11 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I think if its done repeatidly like this and comes out the same everytime it will be conclusive enough..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineJaRRn
Lost in Space
Male User Gallery

Loc: Standing on the Cosmic Sh...
Re: Casing size experiment data [Re: scatmanrav]
    #2993734 - 08/11/04 11:00 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

WD deviation

Offlinedeviation
w0000000t
Re: Casing size experiment data [Re: JaRRn]
    #3001789 - 08/13/04 04:59 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I totally understand where you are comming from. With only three cakes there, it's quite hard to call it a true experiment. I plan on being a bit more precise with the next set of cakes, and will perform the same experiment time and time again.

I agree that cakes are all different, and its hard to compare cake to cake.

Like most people on these boards, my goal is to simply find the most optimized form of whatever tek and style they wish to follow.

Thanks for the good feedback so far!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix