Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

The Joys Of Gardening
    #2972560 - 08/06/04 05:53 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Ok, you might be able to help me out, might not. My scanner isn't working, so I can't offer any pics, but the mushrooms I've found are probably easy to identify with the info I have, since it's a bit of an anomaly.

The tops of the caps are a pumpkinish orange with yellow sponge like pores that IMMEDIATELY stain blue to even the slightish touch. This slow changes to a muddish-brown color after about 1 minute. Fire reddish-almost purple stem. which is more yellowish as it reaches the cap.

These were found under an oak tree in Southern NY, if that helps.

Today was the first day I've done yard work in awhile, and it got me thinking to how I missed hunting mushrooms. I figured I wouldn't find anything interesting, but I just happened to stumble over these, which don't sound active, but are interesting none the less.

--------------------
The very nature of experience is ineffable; it transcends cognitive thought and intellectualized analysis. To be without experience is to be without an emotional knowledge of what the experience translates into. The desire for the understanding of what life is made of is the motivation that drives us all. Without it, in fear of the experiences what life can hold is among the greatest contradictions; to live in fear of death while not being alive.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

Re: The Joys Of Gardening [Re: Twirling]
    #2972574 - 08/06/04 05:56 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I should mention that the bluing is the same color as psilocybing mushrooms that stain blue, but I'm guessing it's some type of Bolete, possibly posionous?

--------------------
The very nature of experience is ineffable; it transcends cognitive thought and intellectualized analysis. To be without experience is to be without an emotional knowledge of what the experience translates into. The desire for the understanding of what life is made of is the motivation that drives us all. Without it, in fear of the experiences what life can hold is among the greatest contradictions; to live in fear of death while not being alive.

Offlinethearmedforces
Disco Shroomerat 4:20

Loc: Atlanta, GA
    #2972818 - 08/06/04 06:56 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

It's a bolete. Inedible one. Not a psilocybian mushroom.

--------------------

"It is only those who do nothing who make no mistakes."
-Peter Kropotkin

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #2972841 - 08/06/04 07:01 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Your mushrooms sound very close to Boletus pseudosensibilis, which is actually an edible species. However, as you could probably guess from the name, they are very similar to Boletus sensibilis, which is a poisonous species. The bruised tubes changing to brown seems to be one of the features used to distinguish between them, but Boletus pseudosensibilis is not recommended for eating because it would be too easy to make a mistake and eat a poisonous bolete.

Happy mushrooming!

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

Re: The Joys Of Gardening [Re: ToxicMan]
    #2972900 - 08/06/04 07:15 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks guys, good info. I was surprised that they look identical to the second picture on this website posted in a thread by Oyster.

--------------------

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

#2972914 - 08/06/04 07:17 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

It's also a good example of how the saying "they stain blue" can be very dangerous to assume anything from.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification