Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinepl151

Re: terrarium bottom??
    #296452 - 04/18/01 08:59 PM (22 years, 11 months ago)

how much perlite is needded for the bottom? i f i did use perlite do i still need that wire mesh? what maintenece is required with perlite ex: cleaning, emptying, will it provide humidty for the life of the whole growing process? thnx for everythin

--------------------
the truth and reason for the above post has been diminished by its very beginning..holding no facts,, but squeezing every bit of fiction...

how 'bout a hug??...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinesnakeboy55
journeyman
Loc: maine usa
Re: terrarium bottom?? [Re: pl151]
    #296501 - 04/18/01 09:12 PM (22 years, 11 months ago)

I've been researching this for a while and just trying it out for the last 2 weeks but what I have found out is to wet down the perlite in a strainer do it outside cuz it makes a mess in your sink.Then put it in the bottom of tank with a splash of regular peroxide stirred in it. An inch or 2 deep . Some say 1 in. wet w/ 1 in. dry on top . I went all wet myself. Then tilt the tank some so water droplets run down the side

Perception is subjective. So Accept,Reject,and Move on,in order to seek out fun at every opportunity,simplify where you can.

--------------------
Perception is subjective. So Accept,Reject,and Move on,in order to seek out fun at every opportunity,simplify where you can.

OfflineMr. Toad
Re: terrarium bottom?? [Re: snakeboy55]
    #296602 - 04/18/01 10:30 PM (22 years, 11 months ago)

There is absolutely no maintenance once you put the perlite in...no cleaning, no changing, no nothing. The perlite will last for the entire fruiting cycle. Some people will recommend that you add some H2O2 to the perlite to keep it free and clean of bacteria but I have never done this and never had any problems. Others will say that an occasional misting of the surface of the perlite will keep it hydrated but again it is not really necessary. You usually want to have at least 2" on the bottom of your tank. Snakeboy55 is correct though...definitely use a strainer, it is alot easier to wet your perlite down without making a mess. Perlite is by far the easiest and most effective means of humidification...there is a reason why EVERYONE uses it.

Offlinepl151

Re: terrarium bottom?? [Re: Mr. Toad]
    #296625 - 04/18/01 11:05 PM (22 years, 11 months ago)

thnx for everything man i kinda feel stupid for buying that $40 humidifier. oh well we learn from our mistakes. i thnk im gonna use the humidfier for the first batch and perlite the second. just so i feel i didnt waste my money hehehe

--------------------
the truth and reason for the above post has been diminished by its very beginning..holding no facts,, but squeezing every bit of fiction...

how 'bout a hug??...

Offlineshizifty
enthusiast
Loc: tdot
    #297099 - 04/19/01 05:55 PM (22 years, 11 months ago)

Pl151 you may still use the wire mesh if you want...
also verm will add humidity to the terrarium no doubt about that. the problem is it gets all mushy and nasty. perlite stays crunchy - even in milk.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
I was already skilled with the production apparatus and accomplished as a dj in addition to my rapping status

--------------------
--------------------------------------------------------
creatures of the forest sing along with my chorus

OfflineMr. Toad
    #297103 - 04/19/01 06:03 PM (22 years, 11 months ago)

pl151, the ultrasonic humdifier is not useless. I even have one myself. I used perlite when I began but then I decided to try a humidifier and found it to be less effective than perlite. But the perlite is so cheap that you can use it in conjunction with the humidifier. The humifier is also good to automate the fanning process....you just have to run in on a timer so it doesn't oversaturate the tank. The humidifiers are also good if you get into large scale production and want to set up a humidity tent for casing. Plus the humidifiers are good to have around for experimental setups. Don't throw it out!! But all that said...I have never found them nearly as good as perlite for 10 gallon tanks and I never use mine:)

Offlinepl151

#297391 - 04/20/01 03:10 AM (22 years, 11 months ago)

thnx for everything all i really appreciate the knowledgeable info.

--------------------

how 'bout a hug??...

Offlinepl151

#297395 - 04/20/01 03:18 AM (22 years, 11 months ago)

ok just to make sure if i use 2 inches of wet perlite i need no maintenance and i still can use the hole i have on the bottom of the cooler for co2 and water release ,no need to fan , and the humidity can never go too high and i will experieance quicker and more accurate results? i just leave em there and let them do thier thing and all they need from me is some light for a few hours ?

--------------------

how 'bout a hug??...

OfflineMr. Toad
    #297396 - 04/20/01 03:24 AM (22 years, 11 months ago)

Of course...you should throw a hydrometer in there to make sure that the humidity is acceptable.

Offlinepl151

#299406 - 04/23/01 12:00 AM (22 years, 11 months ago)

do i put the cakes directly on the perlite or on jar lids? thnx

--------------------

how 'bout a hug??...

OfflineKrendle
veteran
    #299857 - 04/23/01 06:25 PM (22 years, 11 months ago)

Either works. I've heard than when you put them directly on the periculite the cakes tend to suck up water and you get fat watery shrooms on the lower part of the jar, ymmv. The reason why you wouldn't put them on jar lids is simply that the lids rust (and are not sterile) right guys?

This space for rent.

--------------------
First person to PM me with a truly witty sig gets to see their words at the bottom of my posts :wink:

InvisibleCrasher
αἱρετίζω
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Tardy to the Party
    #299868 - 04/23/01 06:40 PM (22 years, 11 months ago)

Actually, I'm putting my cakes on broken clay pots. the pots stay moist, but not soaking, That way the cake doesn't absorb too much at once. BTW, I could only buy this huge 40 pound bag of perlite at home depot. 10 bucks!! the bad thing was I'm 17, got no car, and had to carry it in 3 garbage bags 1.5 miles down the road!

As of 04-10-01, I hereby declare myself an official Mycelial Ninja. Others may join, its a free dojo.
never do business with Jamisoninc.com, He rips you off and then calls you a liar.

--------------------
Give me silence, water, hope;
Give me struggle, iron, volcanoes...

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order