Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineMushmonkey
shiftlesslayabout
 User Gallery

Re: So Does Anyone Actually Know Why Gas Prices Are So High? [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #2975250 - 08/07/04 12:18 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

The web page you link said california.

California's gas is regularly twice that of the national average.

The gas I'm talking about is regularly, and still, well below the national average. This isn't gas from a station next to a major interstate highway, this isn't in a state with draconian taxes, this isn't near a major metropolitan center of population.

Something else all that information won't have, but that I remember.
When Sheetz opened a new gas station in my home town, they had a price war with the local Turkey Hill.

Gas got down to about 58 CENTS a gallon, for one day. For about two months it was around 70 cents a gallon.
This was in '98/'99.

I know what those numbers are showing, and what I'm saying is those numbers are flawed. I don't buy gas any of the places that have high gas prices.. because I don't (and won't) live there.

BTW -- 1990?

Don't you remember what was goin on right around then?

That's right.. the first war in Iraq.

All through high school (late 90's), I was paying under $1 a gallon.

I'm not saying that's the national average, it's an anecdotal lil personal story. It is, however, true.

btw california should never be mentioned when discussing gasoline prices. not only are their taxes off the wall, they also have many, many people who are entirely dependant upon gasoline for their day-to-day lives, and many people who have fought very hard to stop refineries from opening (which would lower prices) and indeed to close existing refineries (which would raise prices).

I don't see why you're calling me a liar. All the evidence you've come up with doesn't prove that I'm not telling the truth -- in fact, the very fact that those AVERAGES are slightly higher than the numbers I've given I think lends credence to my veracity.

As I've mentioned, these are not major centers of population, nor are they very close to major routes of transportation, nor are they in states with high gasoline taxes.

6/11/04 at my local gas station: 1.899/g regular
currently: about 1.759/g regular

compare that to your gas prices and the national average. it should be lower. Now, I still keep in touch with my friends in 'bama, and their prices are consistantly 10 to 15 cents less a gallon than what I pay here. Don't believe me? Fine.. don't. But if you've ever been to the southeast corner of this country, I think you probably noticed gas is cheap. Now, imagine if you were an hour away from the nearest major interstate (I-65).

Cost of living is lower. Everything's cheaper. Wages, too, are lower, but we're not discussing gasoline as a portion of your income, but merely as a set price per gallon.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: So Does Anyone Actually Know Why Gas Prices Are So High? [Re: Mushmonkey]
    #2975377 - 08/07/04 01:06 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

One of the links was from California. You seem to have missed the others.

Feel free to provide some of your own backing what you say.

Perhaps you would also pint out where I called you a liar while you're at it. I've HAVE said you remember wrong and that your memory sucks. Do those words translate to liar where you live? If they do than perhaps your skills with money suck as bad as the skill with words you've just shown. I think it's been demonstrated that that when I think someone has lied I say so.

In those days I lived in NJ. Ever been there? Refinery central. Low transportation cost to deliver fuel. I'm well aware gas prices vary. Frankly that was a pretty foolish statement.

Now.... if you can back up your statement.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineMushmonkey
shiftlesslayabout
 User Gallery

Re: So Does Anyone Actually Know Why Gas Prices Are So High? [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #2975678 - 08/07/04 02:30 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

"In those days I lived in NJ. Ever been there? Refinery central. Low transportation cost to deliver fuel. I'm well aware gas prices vary. Frankly that was a pretty foolish statement."

If you lived in Jersey, you should know that if you drive about 45 minutes to the west, cigarette prices drop by half, your car insurance drops by about half as well, and gas prices drop 10 to 20 cents on the gallon.

I won't try to back up my statements because I know my own memory. Fuzzy, sometimes, but there are many things that I remember and do not forget even the most specific detail.

The fact of the matter is, I know, and you know, that it would be completely futile to find how much gas cost at a specific gas station several years ago. Records are not that well-kept. Things are all averaged.

If you want to prove me wrong, look up the price of gasoline for the susquehanna valley / harrisburg suburban sprawl for 1995-1999, and the price of gasoline in northern alabama for 1999-2002.

I believe in Florence, AL.. right now.. gas costs under 1.70/gal. Haven't talked to anyone there about GAS for a while, but last I heard it was actually MORE than 5 cents below what my current local price was, and it's at 1.759 right now. I'm being conservative with that 1.70 guess.

All that aside, I believe there's at least one other person here who would back up my claim that gas HAS been under $1.00 a gallon recently.

Gas in the South is far, far cheaper than any you'll find in Jersey. Jersey's a very demo-libbie state, with high taxes and a lot of traffic. Both of those factors drive the price of local gas up -- taxes and demand. It may be far cheaper than California's gas, but it's not CHEAP gas. I'd never buy gas in Jersey. It's cheaper 3 hours west, where I live now.

In fact I do also recall hearing news reports of shocking and alarming high gas prices on the west coast. It made me smile. I had been bitching about how high gas was down in 'bama at the time, and was paying nearly half as much per gallon.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: So Does Anyone Actually Know Why Gas Prices Are So High? [Re: Mushmonkey]
    #2975689 - 08/07/04 02:34 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

I won't try to back up my statements

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineMushmonkey
shiftlesslayabout
 User Gallery

#2976940 - 08/07/04 10:52 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

.. sigh.

read the rest of my post.

I don't have the time nor desire to look up something as trivial as the price of gasoline at a sheetz along 422 in central PA in 1998-1999.
In fact I'm pretty sure that is not something that can be found.

In fact it cannot be found. Though it was on local and state news, I can't find any internet record of the incident I was specifically talking about.

However, about 2.5 hours further west of here, a similar incident involving a Sheetz transpired, and I DID find an article about it.

http://216.239.41.104/search?q=cache:G1B...heetz&hl=en

"In Ohio, Sheetz cuts gasoline price to 67.9"

from the article. That's from 1998, about the same time (actually and honestly I think a year after) the Sheetz in my home town was built.

Sheetz in this town was ordered by the state to raise its prices.
It was .58/gal for most of one, single, day. And caused traffic to back up very, very horribly. 3 hour delays all around.

Irregardless, I think that article right there is enough to prove that I'm not making this shit up.
I know you have nothing to go on, no reason to believe me, but understand that when I say I definately, absolutely remember something correctly, I definately and absolutely remember something correctly. It may be hard to believe for you, but I'm not exaggerating or bragging; doing so on an online message board I find to be far less enjoyable than crapping in my own bed.

Invisiblepsyka
Praetorian
 User Gallery

Re: So Does Anyone Actually Know Why Gas Prices Are So High? [Re: trendal]
    #2979375 - 08/08/04 08:55 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Not running out. The problem is the demand is very high, and they can only ship so many barrels a day. Taxing, I think, ensures the US gets theirs. Soon, taxes will be so expensive (think of China and all these developing countries) that it will have a profound effect on the economy and thus resulting in a profound effect in everyday living.

Hopefully, we'll find another means of supplimenting renewable sources of energy. Hemp fuels sounds pretty good to me...now, only if we could encourage the growth of it...lol... The future is always interesting to ponder.

--------------------
As the life of a candle,
my wick will burn out.
But, the fire of my mind
shall beam into infinite.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains