Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Perlite, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineNazrula
journeyman
Towel drying popcorn
    #2968341 - 08/05/04 04:31 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I was sitting around waiting for my popcorn to drain when I thought "Hey! Why don't I just towel dry it. So out I pulled and old towel that was relatively lint free and put my popcorn on it. I then rolled it around on the towel using another part of the towel and it came out dry enough to put into containers. We'll see how it works. I wouldn't try it with smaller grains though.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineChromeCrow
one ancient mutha
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Hoosier HELL
Re: Towel drying popcorn [Re: Nazrula]
    #2968643 - 08/05/04 05:31 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Actually, it works WONDERFULLY.... i do this when i do a large amount of popcorn, and dont have enough strainers to get the job done. I just pour it unto one towel, leave it set 10 mins or so to drain , then towel dry ( with a fresh DRY towel) excess moister off.. it works perfectly...

ANOTHER thing ( sorry not trying to be a thread hog) , but if you have large amounts of popcorn to do, and trying to be more efficient with time, is use your PC to hydrate it. i have a large pc 24 qt pc, i put in 15 to 20 pounds of popcorn. fill to about an inch of the top with water ( add a lot of water, the corn will soak it up), and pressure cook for 30 mins @ 15psi then let the pressure come down on its own. It comes out like you done the overnight soaking/boiling...

OfflineKillBill
Quick Learner
Re: Towel drying popcorn [Re: ChromeCrow]
    #2968676 - 08/05/04 05:39 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

What should popcorn (once prepared to go into jars) look like? What should it feel like? How soft/ hard in particular should it be? I have some prepared popcorn jars that have kernels which are still pretty hard and i was thinking how the hell is the mycelium going to penetrate that? Unless it doesn't have to penetrate, it just digests through it? In any case, i'm simmering some popcorn now and the outer part is just soft enough to easily crush in my fingers, however the inside is still pretty hard, the kernels themselves appear swollen and probably have a good water content by now. Should i redo those jars with popcorn kernels that are too hard?

After i cook the popcorn and get the right results, how long can i store Those jars for in the fridge before being inocculated?

Thanks

OfflineKillBill
Quick Learner
Re: Towel drying popcorn [Re: KillBill]
    #2968814 - 08/05/04 06:02 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Tonight i'm going to try Pc-ing my popcorn for 30 minutes, hopefully that'll do the trick, but i'd still appreciate an answer for those questions, anyone?

OfflineChromeCrow
one ancient mutha
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Hoosier HELL
    #2969205 - 08/05/04 07:52 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

you can pretty much tell when the popcorn is ready by the fact that 90% or more has split open. when they have enough water content, there just isnt enough room inside the shell. and yes they do tend to feel FIRM not hard.

and storage, the sooner is the better i have always found, but if its a must that you store it, i would pc it first, then i still wouldnt wait much longer than a day or two... you may get lucky waiting longer, but it will just add to your chances of contams..

InvisibleOldSpice
Geritol Breath...
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crankytown, Texas
Re: Towel drying popcorn [Re: ChromeCrow]
    #2969232 - 08/05/04 08:01 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

If you can stick a fingernail into the kerenal easily its hydrated enough....I love popcorn because its so easy compared to WBS
I have had less contams with casings using WBS so i still do WBS
The popcorn needs additional colonisation time so the kernals get penetrated fully
Thanks for the additional towel info Chromecrow :thumbup: because when corn is PCed and drained its hard getting it dry enough to load for PCing

--------------------
So hard to be ....WDWGFH?
Texas is humongus compared to France
Our Gair, who art in Texas,
Paw Paw be thy Name....
My friends are thirsty

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrist office:biker:

OfflineKillBill
Quick Learner
Re: Towel drying popcorn [Re: OldSpice]
    #2969307 - 08/05/04 08:18 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

OH its supposed to split open? I read somewhere that people remove their Popcorn from simmer at the first sign of burst kernels. I was misinformed, i'm going to go try PC-ing some Popcorn thats been soaking overnight, as For my other jars which were Soaked overnight but not simmered should they be inocculated or dump em?

OfflineJaRRn
Lost in Space
Male User Gallery

Loc: Standing on the Cosmic Sh...
    #2969322 - 08/05/04 08:21 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I towel dried my WBS, worked wonders too!

InvisibleOldSpice
Geritol Breath...
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crankytown, Texas
    #2969464 - 08/05/04 09:04 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Dont dump em unless they are to wet...PCing them softens them up really fast and hydrates them very well...I have had problems with to much water in my popcorn after PCing because they were still to wet after draining ...Im gonna try the towel method because i have tryed adding Verm and Perlite to soak up excess water but its a mess unless it is drained properly...
Also I dont use bulk corn because its kinda dirty ...I stay with the Popcorn because its consistant

--------------------
So hard to be ....WDWGFH?
Texas is humongus compared to France
Our Gair, who art in Texas,
Paw Paw be thy Name....
My friends are thirsty

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrist office:biker:

OfflineKillBill
Quick Learner
    #2970176 - 08/06/04 12:09 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Yep i PCed popcorn for about 30 to 40 minutes, when it was done it wasn't mushy but if i squeeze it , it will split apart easily. I think thats what i'm looking for. Thanks :-D Also hears a tip to anyone who might be Pc-ing Popcorn and trying to use Quinoa for experimentation, Don't cook Quinoa in the PC, i think thats one of the legumes you're not supposed to use in it (according to the manual).

OfflineNazrula
journeyman
    #2970386 - 08/06/04 01:08 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I'll be damned. My first useful post. *sniff*

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Perlite, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation