Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Paul Stamets, Petri Dish, Pressure Cooker

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineToricious
Theblunt-smokinglense-man.

mycilium or contaminate?
    #2967924 - 08/05/04 03:01 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Hello,
I'de been waiting for a long time for spores from one of the shroomery's sponsors and after a while of not recieving them I got impatient and figured that while I waited i'de try out agar on store bought mushrooms to get better skills for when the product did arrive, so I went out and purchased fresh shiitake and portabella mushrooms and made my agar formula. I sterilized my lab and pressure cooked the agar formula (MYA) and threw in my new petri dishes along with it so they would sterilize, sterilizing was 30 minutes at 15 psi and i waited 2 hours for cooling. I opened the pressure cooker and realized that the tope half of the dishes had melted (but not the bottom half) so I quickly rushed for an alternative and grabbed some jars to keep on going with the experiment. Being rushed I sterilized the jars usinng bleach and washing it off with an isapropynol drenched rag (closest thing around) and put the agar in there, I then proceeded to spray the mushrooms with alchohol, flame sterilized my knife, cut the cap off and cut up a piece of the mushroom from the unexposed inside of each mushroom and put it into the agar and sealed it. I had very low hope of acheiving anything successful due to my lab space being invaded by curious unsterilized people and the mishap and quick jar sterilization. today completing day 2 of growth onto day 3 I noticed growth in one of the jars, but im almost certain the growth is not mycilium but a contaminant and just wanted a second opinion. Here are some pictures, sorry if they are fuzzy my camera didnt do a good job at picturing it.

Thankyou for your time.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinecheapo2
Stranger
Re: mycilium or contaminate? [Re: Toricious]
    #2968970 - 08/05/04 06:34 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

the pics are too fuzzy to tell what it is.. if it started to form with 48 hrs it could likly be mycelium seeing as you used tissue to innoc the plate.. but like i said its too fuzzy.. can you please post more pics??? ones that show a lil more detail..

OfflineToricious

Re: mycilium or contaminate? [Re: cheapo2]
    #2969574 - 08/05/04 09:33 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

It's excessibely hard to picture with the present camera - these are actually the cleanest pictures that I managed to rack up - tried again but it gave absolutely nothing worth posting : /

Well ill try to describe it instead - it's white and it looks somewhat silky - actually it looks a lot like a drop of milk fell in there - it's about 1/4 inch wide by 1/2 inch long - its about a half inch from the biggest tissue pice in the culture but the piece might of rolled and I remember sticking more than one piece in the jars so that might mean nothing.

Based on what I saw I used the contam key from the mushroom cultivator to get an idea as to what it might be and came up with either mycelia sterillia or sepedonium. I think ill just wait and see the growth speed as its suppose to grow faster than myce, and later if it stil looks suspicious ill smell it for sterillia. Does that sound right?

Also at which speed is myce suppose to crawl on MYA? This is my first time growing on agar and I have no idea of what is unusually fast.

thanks

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
    #2978662 - 08/08/04 05:25 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

doesnt look like mycelium... looks like that white/yellow globby stuff that spreads out like funky jello around it, then starts growing cobweb over it... keep an eye on it, if it looks like shit after a while, it most likely is...

OfflineToricious

Re: mycilium or contaminate? [Re: CptnGarden]
    #2978862 - 08/08/04 07:05 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

it actually completely dissapeared for some odd reason - i dunno what to think.

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #2986067 - 08/10/04 03:21 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Pics are fuzzy but anyway, you can try it with a jar. You'll know then ...

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Paul Stamets, Petri Dish, Pressure Cooker

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum