Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineymhrswrider
Butthead

Need help identifying a mushroom. Pic added.
    #2965410 - 08/04/04 08:14 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I added this pic from the website. These aren't from my yard but they look almost identical from what I remember before I dried them. Does this help at all? Are there any poisonous lookalikes?

I found some big shrooms that sprouted up in my yard in rural South Carolina after a heavy rain. As far as I can tell, without an actual specimen to compare it with, it is the same shape/size/color as the trippy mushrooms I have picked in the cow pastures. It is possible that the land my place is on use to be a cow pasture years ago, if this makes any difference. The cap was about 3 to 4 inches across. This is not uncommon around here. The cap was brownish/white with a dark chocolate ring around the edge. The underside had the same type of gills I remember on the trippy ones. Right after the rain the gills were a light purplish color that turned to brownish almost black soon after. I have them dried now and they have kept the brownish color on the top of the cap. The stem is what is bothering me. It was about the size of my thumb. It had a slight ring near the top and a slight bulb at the bottom. The inside was white and had a fluffy/stringy texture. I left the stem outside where it dried out a bit and it turned slightly brown. Now, there is dog crap out in the yard also. I don't know if this makes a differnce either. I've been searching the internet with no luck as far as pictures for the trippy ones or any lookalikes. Can anyone confirm if this is a poisonous one or not. If you can, do you have a link to som pics or your own to compare what I've got with. Thanks for helping me out.

Edited by ymhrswrider (08/05/04 06:19 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblenofind_um
Explorer ofEarth
 User Gallery

Loc: At work, at school, at my...
Re: Need help identifying a mushroom. [Re: ymhrswrider]
    #2965462 - 08/04/04 08:37 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

either a species of agaricus
or amanita.. By your description...

size is important and a spore print
to key it to either of the two species..
is absolutly necessary.... a picture is worth a thousand words....

At any rate don't eat it.. wait till next year when it springs up
again.. Then you can properly ID it...

It's not one of the trippy ones of yesteryear... Good luck on the ID Nofindum...

--------------------
My hunting partner is gone, I miss her so!

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
    #2965483 - 08/04/04 08:42 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

If you can't post a picture, then you need to describe your mushroom in much greater detail. There are many different "tripy" mushrooms. please provide info requested here.
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...;o=&fpart=1

Offlineymhrswrider
Butthead

#2968300 - 08/05/04 04:21 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Ok. I read through the forum rules. Unfortunately I dried the mushrooms before I even knew what a spore print was. Just out of curiousity, are there set colors for what's safe and what's not? Or, does it matter what species it is? Luckily there are quite a few species that pop up around here whenever it rains. Hopefully it will rain again before I move next Wed. If I can get a camera I will take a picture. For right now, are there any other details I can give you?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification