Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

New Quest need help
    #2962923 - 08/04/04 01:55 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Hey people  :laugh: need some advice :confused:

I am going to be stepping it up a notch. A little higher high

Until now, light for my shrooms has been what is coming thru the window.  What light sources have proven to be really effective on size and numbers of shrooms??

and

What type of casing material gives max output? I have used    Potting soil/verm , jiffy-mix , peat/verm

I know these are pretty general questions, so give the real deal :smile:
Thanks for helping me shore up my weak areas. :rolleyes:

--------------------
What it is, is what it is my Brother.
It is as it is, so suffer thru it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSpudz76
Got mycelium on the brain...
Male

Re: New Quest need help [Re: Fucknuckle]
    #2963009 - 08/04/04 02:32 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

AFAIK, light does not so much affect output, it just directs them as to which way is 'up'.  Some bulk setups with stackable fruiting chambers like 5 gal buckets or rubbermaid type tubs have been lit with as little as two high-intensity white or blue LEDs, which is enough light to trigger the directional response and get pinning to happen in the right direction.  Mushrooms do not use photosynthesis so more light does not equal more growth as in other things like marijuana.  I suppose if you had very dismal amounts of light there may be lesser output since you'd have more aborts due to them not knowing which way to go, but seeing as just a couple LEDs has been said to work I would guess you don't need anything very bright.  Probably having the light somewhat evenly right above the grow would be helpful since that way "up" is in the most effective direction (actually, straight up) so they can grow like a forest and less like a mess all leaning sideways and getting deformed.

I am so new to this I have no personal experience with casing, and have not read much to say what works the best.  Most of the info I have read does usually suggest to use non-nutrient things like verm or coir, to keep down the possibility of contamination.  Mostly dunking seems to be a basically accepted prerequisite to do before casing, to increase response at flushing time, some dunk in nutrient-rich water and swear it helps more than dunking in straight water alone.  There has been some recent experimentation with coffee, search a bit and you should find them - it has been promising at least so far in making for faster pinning and such.  Some suggest grass clippings (like, from the mower) work awesome for casing as well (and, easy and cheap to get) - similar to hay or straw.

Again, I am just regurgitating some of the things I have read and seem to have comprehended.  I have not yet gotten past the colony stages on my own grow - but all the more reason to be reading about this step now. :smile:  I think I will dunk and then try verm by itself, before I try something else less tested.

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: New Quest need help [Re: Fucknuckle]
    #2963999 - 08/04/04 11:44 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Light has a big influence on pinning which in turn has a big influence on yield. I use 2-24" fluoros per chamber for strong flushes but indirect sunlight should be perfect too. When talking casing mixtures you are actually talking microclimates (structure and it's ability to hold humidity and moisture). I've seen much better results (pinning) when using 50/50+ peat/verm or coir/verm than using course verm by itself. the size of shrooms is directly related to the number of shrooms competing for nutes and the amount of moisture they transpire this is one of the biggest influences in size given nute availability as long as moisture is constantly replaced. Substrate also makes a world of difference in yield (weight) and the number of flushes possible. WBS is a very dense substrate capable of 8+ flushes whereas brf is not because of actual usable substrate nutrients (it's diluted with verm) these all influence yield. GL Fucknuckle

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix