Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Boomr Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemushysan
eager grower
Loc: slovenia, europe
cobweb mold and desperate looking for help
    #2944857 - 07/30/04 01:07 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Hi!

I have a huge problems with cobweb mold lately. Everything is fine until I spawn the pasterized compost (dung/straw) with healthy micelium. I pasterize the compost for 1 hour in hot water and then drain the water out. Then I apply 1 inch of pure dung over the compost and colonize the plastic boxes covered with plastic sheets with filters and holes for air at 26 Celzius WITHOUT additional fanning. Although i put some micelium on the surface on pure dung to colonize quicker and lower the chances of contamination, after 5 days of incubation the cobweb is there! And even if I manage to make a casing after the surface is colonized healthy after 5 days, the cobweb appears later even if I fann then 3 times a day. (temp is then around 24,25C)

Please tell me what could be the main cause for mold - to much humidity and not enough fanning? Should I lower the temps and increase fanning to 5 times i day on fresh air? Or perhaps the casing soil was to wet, but i thing it was ok, becasuse if you sqeeze it only a few water droplets came out fist. So, please help me out with a suggestion, because I'm getting desperate, bacause I have already grown mushrooms succesfully, but now this mold drives me mad. Please help me out! tnx!

--------------------
MushySan

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineHerbanShaman
I am the Walrus

Loc: Everywhere and Nowhere
Re: cobweb mold and desperate looking for help [Re: mushysan]
    #2945773 - 07/30/04 04:58 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I am sad to see that more have not come to your rescue, I will try to help but I am unfamiliar with dung/straw casing. My first thought is that perhaps you sterilize the straw/dung too much. That sounds strange but I know that peat casings will develop cobweb if I pressure cook them. The natural microbial flora and chemical composition of peat seems to help fight off most invaders. My second thought is the exact opposite. I think you will know which it is, follow your intuition. I also wonder where your healthy mycelium comes from. Is it spawned from jars? What medium? If all else fails then I suggest you dump the straw and dung. I know freinds who grow on dung/straw and thier mushrooms have a very different taste than my own grown in different medium/substrates. I hope that more come and help you with your woes, just make sure you keep some healthy mycelium on reserve just in case. From one speck of mycelium you regain all that you have lost.

--------------------
"There is a world beyond ours, a world that is far away, nearby, and invisible. And there is where God lives, where the dead live, the spirits and the saints, a world where everything has already happened and everything is known. That world talks. It has a language of its own. I report what it says. The sacred mushroom takes me by the hand and brings me to the world where everything is known. It is they, the sacred mushrooms, that speak in a way I can understand. I ask them and they answer me. When I return from the trip that I have taken with them, I tell what they have told me and what they have shown me."
-- Mazatec shaman

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

#2945896 - 07/30/04 05:37 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I can only suggest one thing. I have found that if the casing layers are to wet contamins become a real problem. Cobweb being the most hardcore trouble maker. For along time I also could squeeze a few drop of water from my casing but I also had alot of trouble. When I started making my casing layer damp and not wet problems left. Also I don't cover them with a direct covering of plastic sheet. I wait a couple of days to allow the very top 1/8 to 1/4 inch layer of casing to almost dry out then cover it up and sometimes I never do just put them in the grow chamber. Point is if the casing layer is dripping water when you squeeze it. IT IS TOO WET. Sounds like this is what is happing to you. Try this to prove it , take a bowl full of your casing mixed how you have been doing it and cover it up. check back in a week and I'll bet you have contaims growing. Now take and make a batch of casing with half the water you been puttin in and wait a week and you will find healthy casing.

Invisiblefungusflip
visionary

Loc: texas
Re: cobweb mold and desperate looking for help [Re: Fucknuckle]
    #2945956 - 07/30/04 05:56 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

cobweb sucks. you can try many things to prevent cobweb such using OZIUM spray in the air 10-15 minutes before exposing any sterile media to the air. one person on this thread mentioned that if the casing is too moist then you may have a problem and this is true but only in part. usually if you keep the humidity in the fruiting range for the shrooms then you wont have a problem with contamination because most common contaminants don't thrive in those conditions. it's when there is excessive humidity and too much moisture and stagnant air that you get contamination. read Paul Staments books on this subject. you can fight cobweb with baking soda in and around the infected areas. also H2O2 helps. just a note on how resiliant shrooms can be. i accidentally misted one of my casings with 91% alcohol after i pulled off the first flush, i thought i grabbed my water, and it flushed 3 more times over the next few weeks. it was all black and blue for several days and it recovered and fruited like normal. remember this though cobweb is airborn. clean the air good. ducts, ceiling fans, etc.

--------------------
let it be know, there is a fountain that was not made by the hands of men.

Invisiblefungusflip
visionary

#2945970 - 07/30/04 06:00 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

MUSHYSAN, are your plastic containers clear?

--------------------

OfflineKillBill
Quick Learner
Re: cobweb mold and desperate looking for help [Re: fungusflip]
    #2946326 - 07/30/04 08:29 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

What kind of Sprays can you use to Disinfect areas? i've been using lysol but i hear its a fungicide too, i don't know what else to use.

Invisiblefungusflip
visionary

Re: cobweb mold and desperate looking for help [Re: KillBill]
    #2946613 - 07/30/04 10:02 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

KillBill said:
What kind of Sprays can you use to Disinfect areas? i've been using lysol but i hear its a fungicide too, i don't know what else to use.

10% bleach solution and 91% alcohol is all i use to clean surfaces. i use OZIUM to clean the air. it doesn't disinfect the air it attaches itself to airborn particles and makes them heavy so they fall to the ground. after you spray let the air settle for 10 or 15 minutes then you have no airborn stuff or very little. at any rate i practice this religiously and i have hardly any contamination problems. very rare for me.

--------------------

Offlinemushysan
eager grower
    #2953569 - 08/01/04 07:47 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

tnx for your advices, guys, you were very helpful to me!
I decided to keep the growing containers as clean as possible, then I will try not to pasterize the peat at all, but only pasterize the vermiculite in hot water or nuke it in microwave, and above all, fann the containers at least 3 times a day on fresh air. I have also put some additionall filters on my plastic sheet for more airy environment. tnx again and happy shrooming!

--------------------
MushySan

Anonymous

#2953621 - 08/01/04 07:59 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

1. it's not a very good idea to use dung as a casing layer. the casing layer should be non-nutrative. look up the section on casing in the FAQ.

2. do you pasteurize the dung you use for casing?

i can see two likely reasons why you are getting hit with cobweb.

the first is that your substrate\casing is too wet. even when using a proper non-nutrative casing layer, too much water will make it prone to cobweb and other contams. the second is that by using a nutrative casing layer, you are asking for contams even if the moisture content is right.

advise:

1. use a non-nutrative casing material like coco coir, vermiculite, or peat moss.
2. allow both the substrate and casing material to drain better. the casing layer should be slightly moist, not wet.
3. if the cobweb continues to be a problem even after making those corrections, try more air exchange.

Offlinemushysan
eager grower
Re: cobweb mold and desperate looking for help [Re: ]
    #2960777 - 08/03/04 03:24 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

tnx for the advices, mushmuster!
well, about the top dung layer, it is only pasterized together with the compost(straw/dung) for 1 hour in a pillow bag and it is not meant as casing layer but to prevent the contamination of straw which i heard attracts more contamination than dung. when the compost and the top dung layer is colonized with micelium, i of course case it with peat moss vermiculite soil. Howeve, i guess i will try without this dung layer and above all let the substrate drain longer, because i guess my substrate was to wet, which also goes for casing. SO, is it o.k. if compost (straw/dung) is spawned with micelium and let colonized without airation(exept of filters on the plastic sheet) under proper conditions -dark and 25,26 C? And what about when the compost is completly colonized and when casing is applied - can i introduce light and air immediatla because of the pinning delay to prevent overlay or shall i wait until I see the signs of micelium on the surface? - and risk the chance of overlay?
tnx again!

--------------------
MushySan

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Boomr Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom