Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinePokerShrooms
not a stranger,just strangerthan most

was this a good move anyone?
    #2960764 - 08/03/04 05:23 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

hey what's up guys? a couple of my terrariums began to have an issue with overlay after the first flush, so today i tried to get rid of it. on the first one, i used a fork, but only grazed at the surface as to not disturb the mycelin network under the casing. i tried my best to push as much to corner as possible and then removed the scrapings with a spoon, and on the second i tried a single side razor blade, once again, only lightly grazing as if i was shaving, and did the spoon thing again. all three items were carefully cleaned w/ anti-bac. soap and then wiped with rubbing booze. further i also did this using the oven lid as my working environment. (sorry if its long winded, just wanted to express i tried to be extra sterile.) question is now, is this a good idea, (growth was slow anyway) i gave a light peroxide/water misting too. anything else to do? or do i deserve a smack upside the head for the whole process, if so why please?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblemuse_sick
ĤŌĿŶĞЋ0$Ŧ

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Giu La Testa
Re: was this a good move anyone? [Re: PokerShrooms]
    #2960798 - 08/03/04 05:28 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

well, the good news is i doubt you will disturb your casings horribly if you were sterile
bad news is that, IME overlay is not a huge problem for cubies
i have seen many pics of casings that were completely white with myc
that fruited fine
on the other hand, stamet's MMGG has a pic of cubies fruiting where you can't even see myc on the surface of the casing
my FOAF has never experienced negative results b/c of overlay
so, in summation:
not a horrible loss, but prob not completely neccesecary

--------------------
:beakedwhale:

OfflinePokerShrooms
not a stranger,just strangerthan most

Re: was this a good move anyone? [Re: muse_sick]
    #2960832 - 08/03/04 05:33 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

hey thanks man, i really appreciate the quick reply. the only reason i did it was b/c there's barely been any activity goin on in there except for a sparse big one, and a couple small aborts. kinda like a last ditch effort b4 i start that chamber all over again.

Invisiblemuse_sick
ĤŌĿŶĞЋ0$Ŧ

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Giu La Testa
    #2960866 - 08/03/04 05:39 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

the two things that i can't stress enough
are patience and air exchange
good luck man
just give it a little while
before you give up on it

--------------------
:beakedwhale:

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
    #2961145 - 08/03/04 07:00 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

True overlay will not fruit FYI it is a stroma (veg only) type growth. Now I've seen totally cover casings that were just totally colonized with no overlay, one needs to learn the difference :wink: Now I'm hoping you realize that almost 100% of the time there is a lag between the havest of a flush and the next flush, the myc needs to buildup strength to put forth another flush. After a flush you need to patch any substrate that is showing and mist it to field capacity "near saturation" and wait a week or so then the activity should pickup again. Sometimes on heavy flushes I need to recase just like a giant patch and cover with Saran wrap to allow CO2 to build up along with keeping it dark for 3 days and then initiate pinning once again this has given me some very nice additional  flushes also.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation