Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Boomr Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblemycopsycho
Tit Inspector.
Male
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Going Nowhere Fast
Re: Ok, let me run this past you guys. [Re: RuNE]
    #2973686 - 08/06/04 08:52 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

the blueberries working!

--------------------
I Am The Sickness.

Diploid: I think adults have a right to make stupid decisions and it's nobody else's fucking business.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblebotanisthype
P$ylocibe$ounDW@vE!
Male User Gallery

Loc: DECEPTICON MANOR
Re: Ok, let me run this past you guys. [Re: RuNE]
    #2981350 - 08/09/04 11:35 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

hey .after you pc your qt jars..would refridgerating them to cool down effect the ratio of the jar.
also ,magash You said YOU use qt jars. to soak, do you rinse and wash the jars after soak b4 pc? or do you just toss it back in and pc?oh oh.. ..in the rubbermaid tek that cuts the jar step.... my container doesnt fit in the pc..can i oven or microwave sterilize it?if so how long b4 things start burning?,, ?
how mnay people prefer using the oven to inoculate? thanx

--------------------
Please +REP if i've been of any help... thanks!!!

Dinosaur of the Funny Family, though I have short arms, they fit in my GB... lol

Invisiblemycopsycho
Tit Inspector.
Male
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Going Nowhere Fast
Re: Ok, let me run this past you guys. [Re: botanisthype]
    #2981563 - 08/09/04 12:31 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

using the oven to innoculate is awesome! considering my house came with an oven and not a flowhood.

--------------------
I Am The Sickness.

Diploid: I think adults have a right to make stupid decisions and it's nobody else's fucking business.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Ok, let me run this past you guys. [Re: mycopsycho]
    #2983099 - 08/09/04 06:42 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Really? Mine came with a flowhood and not an oven.. I was thinking of returning it but lost the receipt, maybe I should look for it again, I though houses were supposed to come with ovens..damn sales agents with their quick talk..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

InvisibleOldSpice
Geritol Breath...
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crankytown, Texas
    #2983185 - 08/09/04 06:58 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

can i oven or microwave sterilize it?if so how long b4 things start burning?,, ?
how mnay people prefer using the oven to inoculate? thanx

#1 Hopefully you can use the info here without burning anything
#2 You can use the oven just fine for innoculating...I do mine as Per the "Baby Hitler Tek"

--------------------
So hard to be ....WDWGFH?
Texas is humongus compared to France
Our Gair, who art in Texas,
Paw Paw be thy Name....
My friends are thirsty

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrist office:biker:

Invisiblemyndreach
philosopher
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #3032517 - 08/21/04 12:38 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Questions...I've read all the case teks, and want to use this method. I don't have a pressure cooker, but have lots of the microwavable tupperware containers, and a few jars that might be colonized soon.

1- what would be a good casing for this with just the little red round lava rocks and verm? put say 1" lavarock on bottom, crumble a cake or two on top, then say 1" of verm on top?

2- how do i sterilize? cook empty container for 5 minutes in microwave, then toss in lavarock, cakes, and cover with verm? does the verm need to be sterilized? If so, how?

3- if i don't add a crumbled cake, i can instead add a substrate mix of rice powder, verm and spring water, then poke a couple holes in the top, and innoculate in a couple spots, right? This would all be done after sterilizing the case per step 2.

4- in the case of the crumble cake, do i sit it in the dark until the myc pops up across the top evenly?

5- in the case of the uncolonized substrate, how long should it sit in the incubator? When it's done there, just fridge' it for 24 hours then open the top and sit it in the aquarium?

6- what is tyvek?

Lots of questions...thanks though in advance!

Offlineatomic1
enthusiast
Male

Loc: Appalachia
Re: Ok, let me run this past you guys. [Re: Magash]
    #3032880 - 08/21/04 02:09 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Here, look at this: http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...rt=all&vc=1
1. You only need lava rock or geolite on the bottom of your grow chamber to provide humidity.  Instead of sitting cakes on the lavarock you can sit your containers on it.  On the bottom of your containers put a small layer of moistened vermiculite, then your substrate.  Pressure cook it.  Innoculate it,incubate it, throw a casing layer on it (50/50 peat/verm, 60/40 coco coir/verm.) and wait.
2. Buy a pressure cooker i don't know about sterilizing grain in the microwave.  Verm. is sterile when u buy it.
3.  In either case you leave your containers in the incubator @82-86deg. in the dark until fully colonized, allow a couple weeks anyway...its always a waiting game, u can't label a for sure time on these things.
4. People use tyvek as filters
5. READ MORE :wink:

Invisiblemyndreach
philosopher
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Ok, let me run this past you guys. [Re: atomic1]
    #3034400 - 08/21/04 09:25 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

thanks for the answers...

Im still wondering what tyvek is though. Where can one get it, and what kind of material is it?

I'm in germany, and I haven't been able to find peat moss anywhere :frown: I think it's called Torf in germany, but still can't find it.

Still curious about microwaving to sterilize the substrate. Anyone try this?

Invisibledustz
prentice

Loc: Canadia
Re: Ok, let me run this past you guys. [Re: myndreach]
    #3035108 - 08/22/04 01:22 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Tyvek is a plastic material that seems like paper almost. It's somewhat breathable but water doesn't pass through so it's often used as a contaminate barrier. The easiest place to find it is on US postal service express mail envelopes...they're smooth, flimsy and should say "DuPont Tyvek" right on them. Check Magash' posts, I think he has some photos of what they look like.

Edit: well i didn't read your whole post...dunno where you'd find it in Germany. it's commonly used in the construction of houses so maybe a building material store?

Edited by dustz (08/22/04 01:24 AM)

Invisiblemyndreach
philosopher
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Ok, let me run this past you guys. [Re: dustz]
    #3035126 - 08/22/04 01:29 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

lol look at this..

http://www.safetycentral.com/tyvdisshocov.html

could one of those work?

Invisibledustz
prentice

Loc: Canadia
    #3035152 - 08/22/04 01:41 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

hahahaha

i've never heard of something like that before but it looks like it could work just fine. if you can't find it anywhere else give it try

Offlinelongah
Stranger
    #3118167 - 09/10/04 11:11 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

how much of a bottom layer is suggested for the glad containers?
Also if i am using verm for the bottom layer should I wet it before I put grain ontop and PC?

OfflineZeroArmy27
I didn't go to work for a month.

Loc: Middle of nowhere
Re: Ok, let me run this past you guys. [Re: Spudz76]
    #3118771 - 09/10/04 01:42 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Spudz76 said:
The ziplock brand 8oz containers work well also, I used a few as a test because I wanted to get started and I was having trouble finding the right jars for PF Tek. I PC'd them and no problem at all. Not sure if they're #5 type but they didn't melt or anything, I did them for one hour in the PC even. Clear, round, with blue tops. Probably said something on the box about being microwaveable (good sign it's high-temp capable plastic). And no slow warmup needed, they won't shatter like glass. Got mine at the grocery store. Used four holes in the lid, no polyfilter or tyvek. I have not noticed any issue with the "billows" problem noted above, but these round ones have sort of ribbed sides so they are pretty stiff - not sure about the rectangulars of the same brand.

Yeah Spudz, I actually use some of those to carry my lunch to work sometimes.. I checked them out and they are #5... as a matter of fact, all the ziplock containers I own are #5, and I have a large collection. I have some of the square ones... The tall ones would probably suck stuff in if you weren't careful... just grab all Ziplocks by the bottom. I really like how the shorter ones have measurment marks on the sides... I think i'm going to case in the shorter ones when my jars afe finished here in a few weeks. Just make sure you either spray paint them or something to get rid of the clear sides so they don't pin.

--------------------
"a monkey would fuck you up if you tried to put it in a autoclave" - Psychoslut

"it's not like the admins and mods are a tight-knit group of hippies that spend their life together in a log cabin tie-dying shirts and stringing beads inbetween bonghits." - Wiccan_Seeker

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
    #3119517 - 09/10/04 05:09 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

myndreach said:
Im still wondering what tyvek is though. Where can one get it, and what kind of material is it?

Tyvek is "Spunbonded Olefin". Try ordering some online.

-FF

Offlinericelicker
The Dude'sImaginary Friend

Loc: The Yard
Re: Ok, let me run this past you guys. [Re: fastfred]
    #3119770 - 09/10/04 06:20 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

"ziplock brand.....8oz glad ones.....any plastic with the number 5 in a triangle will work............"

*runs to store*

OfflineElectricBoogaloo
    #3119812 - 09/10/04 06:31 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quick question...how would you innoculate these containers? Taking the lid off ruins the whole point, but if you don't take the lid off how would you get your needles into the substrate? Could you just drip the spore solution on the top of the stuff?

Offlinericelicker

Re: Ok, let me run this past you guys. [Re: ElectricBoogaloo]
    #3120634 - 09/10/04 10:02 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

With the one the dude just got, he was able to put a peice of aluminum foil under the lid and made two small holes in the lide with a knife. You can cover these with tape or whatever, but you will be able to get a syringe in there and then poke through the foil.

--------------------
"my brain waves travel at half the speed afta we..." -del tha funkee

"Two men looked out through prison bars...one saw the mud, one saw the stars." -anonymous

OfflineSpudz76
Got mycelium on the brain...
Male

Re: Ok, let me run this past you guys. [Re: ElectricBoogaloo]
    #3121451 - 09/11/04 05:13 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I just poked four holes in the lid just like PF jars, with a small nail (a 'brad' if you want to be technical, like for hanging pictures and stuff). Worked fine, less hammering than metal (you can just push through by hand, really easy, don't stab yourself though). Taped them with scotch tape for the trip through the PC, though I did get some suck-in when I inoculated but still no baddies got in. Mostly since I pierced the tape with the syringe needle, it just sucked in the inoculant rather than lots of air.

Offlinejimsuzo
I am the Eggman

Loc: Land of the not-so-free
    #3121583 - 09/11/04 08:06 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Magash -

First - you rock. My shroom output has increased tremendously and contams have become a non-factor ever since I started using your poor mans pod. Thanks a lot for that.

On to this bit with the plastic tubs. I'm sorry if I'm being dense here, but I'm missing something on the lids. How exactly are you doing them? I'm hearing something about platic airtight lids, but also tyvek. How's that work? What's it look like?

--------------------
There are roughly nine galaxies for every person alive on the planet today. Each of these galaxies has a billion suns, give or take the odd hundred million

Offlinericelicker

Re: Ok, let me run this past you guys. [Re: jimsuzo]
    #3122327 - 09/11/04 12:50 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Yep, just want to give verification that this works well. Found a number 5 ziploc tub in dude's cabinet and ran it through the PC full of prepped rye.

I guess he shouldn't be suprised, but maybe subconciously he thought it was going to melt or something.

How do they make plastic so heat proof?

--------------------
"my brain waves travel at half the speed afta we..." -del tha funkee

"Two men looked out through prison bars...one saw the mud, one saw the stars." -anonymous

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Boomr Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract