Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Herb Grinder

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMystiq_Shaman
x.o.

Loc: North Calotte
[I got Coffee] Coffee proccessing Q.
    #2955041 - 08/02/04 06:05 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I have a coffee robustica plant that finnaly has flowered this year , I can see the start of coffee "fruits" (<- what are they called? berries?) today. I never thought I would see this one flower , the plant is 5 years I think :laugh: I will post pics when the upload limit is ok again.

my question is, have any one here ever preccessed coffee ? i would like to learn diffrent ways for proccessing and roasting coffee.

feel free to move this to culinary arts if this thread is more suitable there.

Edited by Mystiq_Shaman (08/02/04 06:22 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineesin
cheesefondue
 User Gallery

Loc: Lysergia
Re: [I got Coffee] Coffee proccessing Q. [Re: Mystiq_Shaman]
    #2955432 - 08/02/04 10:40 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah we once prepared some fresh coffee grains that my father brought from Timor.
Was just like regular whole coffee, but was greenish-white in color, and had a fine husk around them.

Never seen a coffee fruit so i don't know if you use the whole fruit or just the seed.

Don't know if this is the right way but what they told us to do was nothing special, really.

Just spread the grains thinly in a tray, like no more than 2 layers of grains - 1 layer is better, than throw it in the oven on a low/medium setting, till they get the usual coffee color and start smelling deliciously...

Than you can remove the fine husks if you have the patience to, or just throw them in the grinder, brew it and drink it :smile:

Edited by esin (08/02/04 10:49 AM)

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

Loc: Rigel 7
Re: [I got Coffee] Coffee proccessing Q. [Re: Mystiq_Shaman] * 1
    #2958028 - 08/02/04 10:58 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I've been growing coffee for a while now and have harvested the cherries on a few occasions, the plant i intentionally keep small so i don't get too much from it, and i don't really like drinking coffee anyway.

Anyways, here's some advice i can offer. Anything I've ever read on coffee fruits is that high quality coffee is a little difficult to grow at home, and the best quality coffee comes from regions where it's grown in high altitudes. Coffee cherries don't uniformally ripen. That is, if you have a cluster of fruits on branch, some of them will be nice a ripe (red, glossy and firm)) and others will be green, sometimes berries that are right next to eachother will exhibit this stark difference.

Once you've collected your ripe cherries you could pulp them or dry them naturally with the flesh over the bean, I think most people pulp their cherries though. After this i suspect most home growers just allow their beans to dry, and that's what i did. But others will ferment them to remove the slippery mess that covers the beans that's left over from the fruit flesh.

Beans should be dried to ~10% moisture content, and the beans after being pulped are about 60-70 or 70-80% though is suspect it's the formerr. So you can guage the progress of the drying by taking an initial weight and doing some math.

That's about all I know about coffee and its preparation for consumption. And believe me that's a pretty basic overview.
When I first was all gung-ho about making my own coffee and finding out it wasn't really as good as store-bought (to me atleast) I stopped really persuing it, but again i really don't like coffee at all, i'm more of a tea kind of guy. So take that as you will.

You may want to check out this website, I think it's pretty informative.
http://www.coffeeresearch.org

Offlinethe man
still tappin caps

Loc: C A N A D A
Re: [I got Coffee] Coffee proccessing Q. [Re: neuro]
    #2958751 - 08/03/04 02:58 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

for roasting them use a air popcorn pop'er. just do it untill there roasted to yoru liking.

peace

--------------------
http://www.fsrc.caand FSRE are now accepting edible/medicinal spores. please donate

And Moses Said "Let my mushrooms grow!"

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: Herb Grinder

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden