Home | Community | Message Board


Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineJ4S0N
human
 User Gallery

Registered: 07/29/04
Posts: 284
Last seen: 9 years, 3 months
Safe to eat?
    #2953806 - 08/01/04 11:00 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Im not sure weather its safe to eat my mushrooms from my first grow. I've read the FAQs about contamination but can't find an example like the one i have.

My first cake was going very well up until a couple days ago, it started to fruit and a single mushroom started to grow. Everything looked very healthy. Two days ago i noticed some discolouration on the other side of the cake, i tried to carefully remove it (and thought i did) but later i noticed it had come back. Its a green/blue colour that covers the outside of the cake, its not a solid colour though. A few mushrooms poped up soon after and had dark patches right under the cap ( i have no intention of eating these).. im just curious what could have caused this? air born contam? or possibly not enough air flow?

The one mushroom continued to grow and is almost ready to pick, it looks very health.. not sure if its safe though.

anyone help would be appreciated.


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMAGnum
veteran

Registered: 07/08/04
Posts: 2,421
Last seen: 5 years, 10 months
Re: Safe to eat? [Re: J4S0N]
    #2953828 - 08/01/04 11:07 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Sorry to say that the contam can poison shrooms a bit. You might not die, but you'll definatly be sick. You should see if the mold you have growing is toxic.


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

Registered: 04/24/04
Posts: 6,762
Re: Safe to eat? [Re: J4S0N]
    #2953852 - 08/01/04 11:21 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I HAVE EATEN MANY SHROOMS FROM INFECTED CAKES AND NEVER WITH ANY PROBLEMS.

I DO NOT KNOW WHERE PEOPLE GET THIS KINDA INFO

I CAN ONLY THINK IT COMES FROM PARINOIDA FROM NOT REALLY KNOWING


UNLESS THE SHROOM ITSELF IS INFECTED AND YOU CAN SEE THAT IT IS


EAT THE DAMN THING


--------------------
What it is, is what it is my Brother.
It is as it is, so suffer thru it.


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

Registered: 10/15/99
Posts: 1,394
Last seen: 3 months, 13 days
Re: Safe to eat? [Re: Fucknuckle]
    #2955419 - 08/02/04 10:32 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

no need for all caps, fn.

Some people can eat a solid mass of a particular mold, and have no problems.  Some people will get intense digestive upsets.  Some people may start wheezing before they even get it to their mouths.
We should be conscious of all mold exposure in this hobby for two big reasons:
1.  Our threshold may be less than 'others' on this board.
2.  Our threshold may become less over repeated exposures [like beekeepers and bee stings].
I've recently been reading about the toxins present in many mold species.    Suffice to say, you want as little of these mycotoxins in your body as possible.  The work was done on agricultural feed, where livestock could be eating large amounts of the mold itself.  That isn't the case in our hobby, but it still means we should encourage people to be a little cautious. 
Allergic reactions, which can be very mild or very severe, are still the greatest risk to home cultivators.

I judge the 'safety' of a contaminated mushroom by checking for the degree of contamination and the health of the fruit.  It's a judgment call, though.  If a cake has a little mold away from the fruit, but the fruit looks fine, I'd call that OK.  If the contamination is rampant [over 1/3 of the cake or so] I wouldn't consume any fruit from it.  The moldy cake should be removed quickly anyway, because it's spreading spores all over the place in exchange for eeking out one or two more fruits.    The bleach and lysol needed afterward is not a healthy thing either :wink:

This site gives a decent overview, though the references at the bottom will have more details.  Again, this is looking at livestock consumption of contaminated grain, not the same as the 'contaminated cake' issue.  Scroll to the bottom for a concise chart:

http://www.dairylandlabs.com/molds_toxins.html


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Registered: 04/27/01
Posts: 7,276
Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
Last seen: 4 months, 10 days
Re: Safe to eat? [Re: Fucknuckle]
    #2955429 - 08/02/04 10:38 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Maybe that mushroom will do him no harm to but it's foolish to give advice to unexperienced growers and tell them not be afraid. Every new contamination event has to be analyzed separately and normally newbies don't have the expertise to distinguish harmless molds from the others.
The word here is CAUTION, this is not a russian roulette game.
Btw, please drop the caps, we can hear you ... :wink:

MAIA


--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala



Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

Registered: 04/24/04
Posts: 6,762
Re: Safe to eat? [Re: Suntzu]
    #2955496 - 08/02/04 11:09 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I realy wasn't cappin on anybody

I am only going on the fact that in all the years I've been eating homemade shrooms there has never been an example of any of my friends getting sick

I did tell the guy to not eat any shroom that is infected itself

Shit I've had entire bulk casings go green and blue, cropped off the remaing shrooms passed them around as I usally do, nothing !

Now I agree, mabey this was bad advice and I will never again give it No problem


--------------------
What it is, is what it is my Brother.
It is as it is, so suffer thru it.


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleTheHateCamel
Research &Development -DBK
Registered: 01/31/03
Posts: 15,738
Re: Safe to eat? *DELETED* [Re: J4S0N]
    #2955558 - 08/02/04 11:26 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Post deleted by TheHateCamel

Reason for deletion: mj



Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMETATR0N
Stranger
Registered: 08/07/04
Posts: 3
Last seen: 13 years, 22 days
Re: Safe to eat? [Re: TheHateCamel]
    #2974648 - 08/07/04 05:31 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I have worked in both pathology and aeseptic pharmacy and I can honestly say in relation to molds that, unless you know you have identified the mold 100% and researched thoroughly - do not eat the fruit.

I would personally NEVER tell someone to trust a cake with a contamination - for example I am accutely allergic to penicillin and if I consume any I run a risk of an extremely strong, and dangerous, reaction - infact I have to immediately dispose of a penicillin infected cake as I react just from proximity and contact.

It doesn't pay to be gun-ho when you have created the perfect breeding ground for bacteria and molds.


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* safe to eat??? *PICS* alife 2,116 6 01/14/04 11:01 AM
by Ben_Stein
* Safe to eat mushrooms off of a cake with green mold? adoseofparn0z 28,304 16 05/04/15 11:28 PM
by TakeSomeTime
* safe to eat? blazedasheetup 843 7 08/25/05 07:47 AM
by blazedasheetup
* Are these safe to eat? Duggstar 734 9 05/08/09 09:32 AM
by Duggstar
* Spawn of Contamination Okay to Eat?
GoodbyeOrb
804 4 06/04/07 10:36 AM
by GoodbyeOrb
* Mycelium overcame brown contamination..safe to eat ERaSMuS 2,392 4 05/02/02 10:38 AM
by MAIA
* Are these mushrooms contaminated or safe to eat? sl45 1,288 6 02/12/07 09:50 AM
by RogerRabbit
* actual risk of eating shrooms from a contaminated substrate jmg5 5,493 6 02/24/06 11:49 AM
by MAIA

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: RogerRabbit, cronicr, Tmethyl, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta
1,426 topic views. 2 members, 5 guests and 4 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Toggle Favorite | Print Topic | Stats ]
Search this thread:
Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

Copyright 1997-2017 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.036 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 19 queries.