Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale, Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

Loc: Radio Free Tibet!
Original Sin...
    #2951879 - 08/01/04 12:54 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I?ve always assumed that "original sin" is simply a metaphor for the guilt that comes with being a species capable of such conceptualizations...

*Photograph by Knut Ehret.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

Re: Original Sin... [Re: Papaver]
    #2951903 - 08/01/04 01:00 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Et Tu Dr. Peste?

New Russian Child?s Gas Mask?? $79.00?? ?
Here is something new that you won?t find in any other catalog around the country. We brought in a good amount of these because of the design and the fact that they use a NATO canister such as the Israeli, German US, etc. Has its own custom made shoulder bag. Although not a pleasant thing to think about, it is a minimum investment for a lot of security. Not for sale outside of the U.S. One filter included. #0003?

*A Web Found Object.

--------------------

InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

#2952009 - 08/01/04 01:33 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Sorry boys, but Michael Jackson was making this fashion statement years before your look arrived on the scene...

--------------------

InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

#2952043 - 08/01/04 01:43 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Outside the plywood hut, among throngs of reverent villagers, there were a smattering of celebrities from the cinematic capitals of the world: Hollywood, Bombay, and Pyongyang. They had all had made the pilgrimage to be anointed in the breath of Ogechi -- Patient Zero of the Immaculate Infection.

--------------------

Invisibletyke
eschatologist

#2952072 - 08/01/04 01:52 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Original Sin is the guilty associated with raping and murdering your own Mother. In this case, as a species, the Earth is our Mother.

Of course, the stakes are even higher, as we are killing Her while She is still carrying us. The big question being, will we make it to term?

--------------------
hey, that douchebag, tyke, just made a post. let's go flame 'im!

InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

#2952353 - 08/01/04 03:07 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

History has a very short attention-span nowadays, and as a story, SARS is about as stale as Monkey Pox and Ebola. However, in general, plagues have made for good sexy narratives since the 14th Century. They become interesting vectors for the observation of both social and personal phenomena -- a stage-set of physiological pathology on which to act-out our psychological pathologies. History is replete with such narratives: from Boccaccio ?s, "Decameron," to Poe?s, "The Masque Of The Red Death," and films like Ingmar Bergman?s, "The Seventh Seal."

So, it?s interesting to go back over the SARS data from a few years ago, and find little gems like this:

"There are also products claimed to be with brands like GUCCI and LV?selling at HK $1800,-( US $232,-), although when called, these company did not have any plan to sell face mask."

Hehehe... Fraudulent Gucci? knock-offs of non-existent product lines...

Designer Plague-Fear Simulacra!

--------------------

Invisibletyke
eschatologist

#2952378 - 08/01/04 03:14 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I have my money on BSE (mad cow). Should really take off here in a few years. Thanks Dr. Atkins!!!

--------------------

Invisibletyke
eschatologist

#2952396 - 08/01/04 03:19 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

--------------------

InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

Re: Original Sin... [Re: tyke]
    #2952515 - 08/01/04 03:42 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Yes, Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy is a good one. It just works on sooo many different levels of social-pathology. You've got corporate farms turning cows into cannibals. You've got militant vegetarians shouting I told you so, in between throwing buckets of goats blood on the marble steps of the statehouse. And, you've got the requisite amount of panic and mayhem from a concerned television audience plugged into the McDonalds Life-Support Grid.

I mean, you can't make up stuff that's this good!

Prions, themselves, are very interesting too. In that they are the first non-genetic infectious pathogen known to science. It's going to really expand the models of thinking in epidemiology, and it may also have a collateral, or secondary, effect on the definition of life to some degree.

--------------------

InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

#2952764 - 08/01/04 04:22 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Nasty little buggers
with a stainless steel
infection vector...

Transmission of Scrapie by Steel-surface-bound Prions.

Flechsig E, Hegyi I, Enari M, Schwarz P, Collinge J, Weissmann C.
Mol Med 2001 Oct;7(10):679-84 Abstract quote

Background: Prions are unusually resistant to conventional disinfection procedures. An electrode used intracerebrally on a Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD) patient transmitted the disease to two patients in succession and finally to a chimpanzee, despite attempted disinfection. Concerns that surgical instruments may transmit variant CJD have been raised by the finding of PrP(Sc), a surrogate marker for infectivity, in various tissues other than brain.

Materials and Methods: Stainless steel wire was exposed to scrapie-infected brain or brain homogenate, washed exhaustively and inserted into the brain of indicator mice to measure infectivity.

Results: A contact time of 5 min with scrapie-infected mouse brain suffices to render steel wire highly infectious and insertion of infectious wire into the brain of an indicator mouse for 30 min suffices to cause disease. Infectivity bound to wires persists far longer in the brain than when injected as homogenate, which can explain the extraordinary efficiency of wire-mediated infection. No detectable amounts of PrP could be eluted with NaOH, however the presence of PrP on infectious wires was demonstrated by chemiluminescence. Several recommended sterilisation procedures inactivated wire-bound mouse prions, but exposure to 10% formaldehyde was insufficient.

Conclusions: Prions are readily and tightly bound to stainless steel surfaces and can transmit scrapie to recipient mice after short exposure times. This system mimics contaminated surgical instruments and will allow an assessment of sterilisation procedures.

--------------------

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
    #2952945 - 08/01/04 04:57 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Papaver said:
<blockquote><center>Et Tu Dr. Peste?

</center>

New Russian Child?s Gas Mask $79.00

it?s interesting that the russians have a gas mask for everything....

InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

Re: Original Sin... [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #2952980 - 08/01/04 05:07 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Hehehe...

Here's something Google said to me the other day. I thought it was so interesting, I actually saved it in my notes...

Google Image Search: Did you mean: creepy dolls

PS: That picture's huge! It's messing up my horizontal alignment... :wink:

--------------------

Invisibletyke
eschatologist

#2953899 - 08/01/04 09:37 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

indeed. the mutant protein that can't be killed! very science fiction-esque.

wait. how about this. you can't kill it, because it's not alive in the traditional viral sense. so it's sort of undead. and it's infectious. and it eats brains. it's a sort of zombie.

a bad horror movie plot being acted out in the real world, but the zomies themselves are too small to be seen. and the infection is spread through the necessary medium of food.

only those who can resist the spritual degradation of eating cannibal cows shall live.

Rudolph Steiner (dunno if you're familiar with his work) once said something to the effect that cows are the ultimate vegetarians. and that any culture that resorted to feeding cows meat had reached a crisis of the spirit. he when on to say that if they were fed meat, the cows would go insane.

--------------------

InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

Re: Original Sin... [Re: tyke]
    #2953945 - 08/01/04 09:50 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Good call on the nano-biotech zombie aspect of prions! There interesting little buggers! :laugh:

Killer Zombie Proteins from Outer Space!

*In Terror-Vision? and coming to a theater near you.

Yes, I can't for the life of me, imagine the sort of cold corporate thinking that led to feeding ground-up cow parts to other cows. Well, yes, I guess I can, as I've seen that kind of stupidity elsewhere in the corporate world... :smirk:

--------------------

Invisibletyke
eschatologist

#2954009 - 08/01/04 10:09 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Papaver said:
Killer Zombie Proteins from Outer Space!

*In Terror-Vision? and coming to a theater near you.

:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:

Quote:

Papaver said:
Yes, I can't for the life of me, imagine the sort of cold corporate thinking that led to feeding ground-up cow parts to other cows. Well, yes, I guess I can, as I've seen that kind of stupidity elsewhere in the corporate world... :smirk:

right.  it's just a question of what they think they can get away with.

google image search results for BSE:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale, Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale