Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Microscope

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineOpenminded
Dicotyledon

Loc: England.
Problems with glue...
    #2951880 - 08/01/04 02:54 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Hello!

My spores still haven't arrived, but I've decided to start filling substrate into jars and sterilising them, so that a) I'll be ready as soon as my spores do arrive, and b) I'll hopefully be able to spot and re-do any contaminated jars before wasting spores on them.

The containers that I'm using are 400mL polypropylene tubs. They have screw-on polypropylene lids, and are designed to hold liquids, so I know that no contams will be able to get in under the lid.

To allow for air exchange, I'm cutting holes in the lids, and glueing three layers of laboratory filter paper over the holes. Three layers isn't needed to keep out contams, I'm doing it to slow down evapouration, since I'm growing sclerotia and so the substrate will have to stay moist for ~3 months.

BUT, here is the problem. I can't find a glue that can be relied upon after PCing. Araldite, a two-part epoxy that I use for most things, goes yellow and softens/becomes flexible. This is fine, but it also sometimes comes unstuck, even though I roughened the plastic with sandpaper to help the glue stick. And if I tried to re-stick it, then contams could get in while I'm doing it.

Next I'm going to try hot-melt glue. I know this will melt in the PC, but it should stay in place and harden again once it cools. I'll be trying this tomorrow.

But I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions, in case this doesn't work..?

Thanks for any help!

The empty tubs, without filters:

Before PCing:

After PCing:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Loc: Metropolis City, USA
Re: Problems with glue... [Re: Openminded]
    #2951900 - 08/01/04 02:59 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

no point in gluing those filters on, just cover the top w/ alluminum foil then remove it after the jars are 50% colonized, flip upside down and the holes in your lid will allow for all the air exchange needed. (this would work if the hole in your lid wasn't so massive, you've mutilated those jars)

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.
To engage in boisterous, drunken merrymaking.

InvisibleMykey
spectraltraveler

#2951981 - 08/01/04 03:27 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Why not put the filter paper down over the mouth of the jars and then just screw the lid down over them with a hole in it. Just cover them with foil very well before you pc to keep the filters from getting wet.

MYKEY

Invisiblemycopsycho
Tit Inspector.
Male
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Going Nowhere Fast
Re: Problems with glue... [Re: Mykey]
    #2951997 - 08/01/04 03:30 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

good idea mykey! :thumbup: :thumbup: two for you!

--------------------
I Am The Sickness.

Diploid: I think adults have a right to make stupid decisions and it's nobody else's fucking business.

OfflineOpenminded
Dicotyledon

#2952037 - 08/01/04 03:41 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Mykey, I've done a bit of experimenting with that technique. Cutting the filters to slightly larger than the mouth of the jar (about 4mm margin all the way round), and then screwing the lid on and trapping the filters in place, seemed to work OK. But I had no way of checking that there weren't leaks anywhere.
TODAY, when I first decided that I was going to try growing, I was planning on doing something like that, ie, having holes in the lids and covering it with foil. But the more I thought about it, the more sure I became that everything would contam. I know people have success doing it like that, but I wanted a more robust, more fool-proof container.

Well, I have fairly high hopes for the hot-melt glue. Even when molten it is quite viscous, and with nothing pushing on it while in the PC, it should stay put until it cools down. We'll see...

Ooh, I've just found some aquarium sealant too! I'll try that if hot-melt fails...

Edited by Openminded (08/01/04 03:44 PM)

InvisibleMykey
spectraltraveler

#2952919 - 08/01/04 06:51 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Im not positive about the quality of the adhesion,but I am about 98% sure that what you are looking for is high temp silicone. You can get a tube at the auto parts store for like 3 bucks and it will go through the pc with ease. It works great for self sealing innoculation ports and fusing the rings to the lids of jars and I would imagine it would bond pretty good to the filters and the polypropylene.

Good Luck!
MYKEY

InvisiblePsyllyMe
LOST.......
Loc: Center of the Known Unive...
    #2953014 - 08/01/04 07:19 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Openminded said:
BUT, here is the problem. I can't find a glue that can be relied upon after PCing. Araldite, a two-part epoxy that I use for most things, goes yellow and softens/becomes flexible. This is fine, but it also sometimes comes unstuck, even though I roughened the plastic with sandpaper to help the glue stick. And if I tried to re-stick it, then contams could get in while I'm doing it.

Ok  heres the deal.........

Q)  does that dango glue contain any toulene?

if so.......put all the glue in a small paper bag and breathe deeply.....

then you can forget about all the PC stuff......and for that matter any thing else........

Hence.......no mo problems with glue

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

OfflineOpenminded
Dicotyledon

#2953043 - 08/01/04 07:29 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks for the tip Mykey! Good idea about the innoc port too, I was just going to poke the syringe through a hole and tape it shut again after...

"Q) does that dango glue contain any toulene?"

No, as stated it's a two-part epoxy. I ask a simple question, and you basically tell me to go kill myself? Nice, thanks.

InvisiblePsyllyMe
LOST.......
    #2953048 - 08/01/04 07:32 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Sorry dude.......i just couldnt avoid the obvious humor in the post title.......

peace

hey......i'm keeping your thread alive

OfflineOpenminded
Dicotyledon

Re: Problems with glue... [Re: PsyllyMe]
    #2953059 - 08/01/04 07:35 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Ah, I see! Sorry, I thought you were being an ass :shocked:. Humour has to be obvious, or I just don't understand :wink:.

If only my glue problem was as simple as an addiction!

InvisiblePsyllyMe
LOST.......
    #2953073 - 08/01/04 07:38 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

LOL exactly!

peace, and good luck waiting for the arrival of your spores for microscopic analysis.........

InvisibleMagashM
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #2953197 - 08/01/04 08:32 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Check out the way I do prints. I make little chambers so to say Prints with little chambers

I use this stuff It can handle up to 400F

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Microscope

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation