Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinefft2
journeyman

Kerry Envisions No More U.S. Troops for Iraq
    #2951263 - 08/01/04 11:38 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Kerry Envisions No More U.S. Troops for Iraq

1 hour, 47 minutes ago Add Top Stories - Reuters to My Yahoo!

By Patricia Wilson

DUBLIN, Ohio (Reuters) - Democratic White House challenger John Kerry (news - web sites) said on Sunday he did not anticipate sending more American troops to Iraq (news - web sites) and promised a fresh start with U.S. allies "burned" by President Bush (news - web sites).

Reuters Photo

Reuters Photo
Slideshow: John Kerry

Latest headlines:
? Kerry: Bush Security Moves '2 1/2 Years Too Late'
Reuters - 4 minutes ago

? Kerry Says He Plans for Iraq Negotiations
AP - 15 minutes ago

? First Poll Shows Hike for Kerry After Convention
Reuters - 48 minutes ago

Despite some clamor among Democrats for an accelerated U.S. military withdrawal, Kerry said Washington must stay the course but asserted he could do a better job of convincing foreign leaders to help with security and reconstruction in Iraq.

The Massachusetts senator, who voted for the congressional resolution authorizing Bush to use force to oust Saddam Hussein (news - web sites), said Bush misled Americans.

"Everybody knows that just saying that there are weapons of mass destruction didn't make it so," he said on the CBS program "Face the Nation."

"Just saying you could fight a war on the cheap didn't make it so. Ignoring the advice of generals as to how many troops we needed didn't make our troops safer who were there."

Kerry criticized Bush's Iraq policy in his speech on Thursday accepting the Democratic nomination as the president's opponent in the Nov. 2 election, but beyond holding out the prospect of greater international participation, he did not offer the exit strategy many Americans are looking for.

He rejected the suggestion that his plans were vague. "No, not at all," Kerry said.

"The problem is that this administration has lost credibility, they've pushed countries away."

"And I think that a fresh start changes the equation, particularly changes it for leaders in other countries who have great difficulty right now associating themselves with our policy and with the United States because of the way this administration has burned those bridges."

In the past, Kerry has not ruled out sending more Americans to join the 140,000 U.S. troops already in Iraq but has said he would encourage other countries, particularly Arab nations, to contribute forces.

'REAL PARTNERSHIP' WITH ALLIES

"I don't envision it," he said on Sunday when asked if he would send more U.S. soldiers. "I believe that my leadership and my plan to approach these countries -- and I'm not negotiating it publicly -- I know what I want to do. I know what I believe can be achieved."

Kerry has argued that Bush alienated traditional U.S. allies by invading Iraq without their support and without United Nations (news - web sites) backing that they were unwilling to bail him out now. He said he would offer them real partnership that would attract practical support from NATO (news - web sites) allies and the United Nations.

"We've lost respect, we've lost influence," he said as he made the rounds of the Sunday talk shows with his running mate North Carolina Sen. John Edwards (news - web sites) while on a two-week, 3,500-mile post-convention trip through battleground states.

"I know that I can do a better job of providing a rationale for those countries to understand their stake in the outcome and I believe we can put together a very different kind of alliance," Kerry said.

Opinion polls suggest a majority of Americans now believe the decision to invade Iraq last year was a mistake. Kerry and Edwards, who also voted in 2002 to authorize the invasion, have refused to call their votes a mistake.

"We believed that the president needed the authority to deal with Saddam Hussein and that him being gone is a very good thing," Edwards said. "We did not know that the president would not use his authority the way he should use it."

Kerry, who hinted earlier in the campaign that foreign leaders had told him they hoped he would beat Bush, said he "didn't think there's a leader in the world ... who doesn't understand what's happened to America in the world today."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineAncalagon
AgnosticLibertarian

Re: Kerry Envisions No More U.S. Troops for Iraq [Re: fft2]
    #2951280 - 08/01/04 11:51 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Same old vague useless bullshit.

--------------------
?When Alexander the Great visted the philosopher Diogenes and asked whether he could do anything for him, Diogenes is said to have replied: 'Yes, stand a little less between me and the sun.' It is what every citizen is entitled to ask of his government.?
-Henry Hazlitt in 'Economics in One Lesson'

OfflineJesusChrist
Son Of God
Re: Kerry Envisions No More U.S. Troops for Iraq [Re: Ancalagon]
    #2951682 - 08/01/04 02:10 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Does anyone actually believe that Kerry will get French and German troops on the ground? The man's plan is complete bullshit. He might as well tell us that he is going to enlist the help of the toothfairy. And this guy bashes Bush's plan, while having no realistic plan of his own.

--------------------
Tastes just like chicken

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Re: Kerry Envisions No More U.S. Troops for Iraq [Re: JesusChrist]
    #2951746 - 08/01/04 02:26 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Politics, like fiction requires a willing suspension of disbelief so one can get lost in the fantasy and for a time, see it as real. Of course in politics, one should never totally come back to reality if he fears being labelled a cynic or an extremist.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion