Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineWoodsman
enthusiast
Loc: Oregon
Re: I.D. help
    #294938 - 04/18/01 12:07 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Yo, LK:

I used to pick lots of Liberty Caps (back before the local farmers got all pissy about too many people breaking fences, scaring livestock, & throwing garbage around the fields, & they filed standing trespassing complaints with the Sheriff), & just about every specimen I ever saw showed at least traces of bluing at the stem base & cap margin--especially after being carried home in a paper bag.

An active species which rarely shows bluing is Panaeolus subbalteatus. Maybe one in a hundred will have a hint of blue at the very base of the stem, or in the mycelial fuzz attached thereto. These of course have black spores, and are not in the genus Psilocybe.

But your rule of thumb is right on: any gilled mushroom with purple-brown spores & blue staining (plus separable pellicle in very fresh specimens) is almost certainly an active Psilocybe.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

Loc: GA
Re: I.D. help [Re: Woodsman]
    #295992 - 04/18/01 12:02 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Like I said WM, it all depends on where you live, I've never picked libs before so I can't say from experiance, but alot of friends say that sometimes they don't bruise at all.

I was going to mention the separable pellicle, but not every Psilocybe has one. They most certainly all have a gelatinous pellicle, but it is not always easily separable regardless of the age and maturaty of the mushroom.

BTW: Woodsman, are you by chance "mule"? Just wondering, he was a very knowledgable guy, but hasn't came around since mj lectured at his last conference. Just thought you might be him, haven't.seen someone so knowledgable as you since he was last here. Thanks for helping people out in this forum, you truley seem to know your mushrooms :)

Lizard King,

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification