Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemethikist
Mushroom Pirate.

Loc: PNW
Cubensis Question.
    #2537905 - 04/08/04 01:03 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Is the species septate or coenocytic? I'm doing some experiments, need a quick answer.

--------------------
Oh cmon, I'm a fun guy.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemethikist
Mushroom Pirate.

Re: Cubensis Question. [Re: methikist]
    #2537960 - 04/08/04 01:27 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

I'm almost positive they are septate, which leads me to the next question. What are the specific and ideal conditions to trigger plasmogamy between counterpart mating type hypha. I'm going to take some cubensis gametes to the lab and test a whole slew of conditions. I'll post my results.

--------------------
Oh cmon, I'm a fun guy.

InvisibleSemilanceata
No god, no boss

Loc: República Federal Íbera
    #2538217 - 04/08/04 04:53 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

I would post it in advanced

--------------------
Sr_Setahongo

Anonymous

#2540735 - 04/08/04 07:06 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

The compatability is built into the genes of each monokaryon. All vegetative growth(which plasmogamy would fall under) occur within a range of temps/humidities/ph/nutritional composition of substrate. Optimal will vary from monokaryon to monokaryon. Proximity and compatability are the most significant factors effecting plasmogamy. Monokaryons also express different rates and type of growth based on there gentic makeup, on any media formulation. A specific monokaryon might grow really slow on any formulation you come up with, in relation to other monokaryons on any formulation. This is why proximity is so important. Fast growing A1B1 might only succesfully mate with very slow growing A2B2, so proximity is very important.

Their septate. With clamp connections present upon plasmogamy. If your are going to make the effort, please try some compatability studies between Different Strains of cubensis. Try and mate monokaryons of say GT with EQ, Mexicube, etc... At this point we need some conformation as to what mates with what, and possible determination of ancestory of all the strains.

Plasmogamy is going to occur at a rapid rate as long as the conditions are condusive to growth( wide range). Optimization of any vegetative growth is good enough, you don't have to isolate monokaryons to optimize a media for rapid growth.

EDIT.

It has been observed in other species that compatability can be structural/physiological in nature, so altering some enviromnmental parameter might break down that structural/physiological barrier. So if you really have your heart set on experimneting with this, go for it. I would imagine that compatability barriers exist for good reason. I don't think that is what you are talking about though. I think you are just asking about optimizing Growth during Plasmogamy, which would fall under Agar formulation optimization, and you probably don't have to isolate monokaryons to do that. Just judge the speed of growth from spore germination to first transfer on differing media formulations.

Offlinemethikist
Mushroom Pirate.

Re: Cubensis Question. [Re: ]
    #2541126 - 04/08/04 08:50 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Interesting, thanks for the information Teonan. I understand what you mean about the diversity that monokaryons have, after all they are only gametes, so any apparent mutations are going to be evident right off the bat. With enough spores, and enough media with the right conditions, I don't see it being very hard to introduce 2 foreign monokaryons successfully, if such event happened, I would most likely isolate it immediately, incubate accordingly and transfer the mycelia to an appropriate substrate, thus creating a cross breed of mushroom. Totally interesting, I'm thrilled.. Off to the lab

--------------------
Oh cmon, I'm a fun guy.

OfflineKillBill
Quick Learner
    #2947135 - 07/31/04 12:51 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

*drools*

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
    #2947593 - 07/31/04 06:25 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

>I don't see it being very hard to introduce 2 foreign monokaryons successfully,[...]

You mean a simple mating experiment? Yea, that's not difficult at all.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract