Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineZeppelin
I'm Gonna BurnOne Down.

Dude, I have this shitty english question, please help me.
    #2946851 - 07/30/04 11:36 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Okay, it's on a four line poem by Langston Hughes called Justice.

That Justice is a blind goddess
Is a thing to which we black are wise:
Her bandage hides two festering sores
That once perhaps were eyes.

The million dollar question is: What does this poem say about justice for black people? I'm white and I can't figure this shit out. :tongue2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
Re: Dude, I have this shitty english question, please help me. [Re: Zeppelin]
    #2946858 - 07/30/04 11:38 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

The statue that represents justice is a blind woman holding a scale, almost to suggest that truth is omnipresent, not just a product of the senses.

But the poem is telling you that black folk are wise to the fact that justice is NOT in fact blind. Perhaps she once was, but she's been mutated, as depicted by the grotesque wording of "festering sores." Justice is depicted, in fact, in this poem, as inhuman.

Langston Hughes rocks.

That's all there is to it. Courtesy of an english major trying to figure out what the hell to do with his life.

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

OfflineZeppelin
I'm Gonna BurnOne Down.

Re: Dude, I have this shitty english question, please help me. [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #2946869 - 07/30/04 11:42 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

You fucking rock.

Male

Re: Dude, I have this shitty english question, please help me. [Re: Zeppelin]
    #2946880 - 07/30/04 11:46 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

:smile:  You rock for nabbing the name "Zeppelin".

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

InvisibleGnuBobo
Frilly Cuffs Extraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Charisma
Re: Dude, I have this shitty english question, please help m [Re: Zeppelin]
    #2946940 - 07/31/04 12:11 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I have to disagree. But, we English majors can say anything, as long as we support it.
The eyes are festering sores because "lady justice" has seen so much injustice, she can no longer see anything at all. It's like staring at the sun. At least, that's my interpretation.
I focused more on prose in college, but, shit, I had to post on this one. I just disagree.
Cheers on your essay or whatever this is for.

GB

--------------------
Jerry Garcia. JERRY GARCIA! JERRY GARCIA!!!!

OfflineHooty
Reality isRelative

Re: Dude, I have this shitty english question, please help m [Re: GnuBobo]
    #2946954 - 07/31/04 12:14 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I would have to agree with gnubobo on this one, although onemorerobots interpretation seemed strangely poetic.

--------------------

Without love in the dream
It will never come true

Male

Re: Dude, I have this shitty english question, please help m [Re: Hooty]
    #2946965 - 07/31/04 12:17 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

That's cause poetry goes great with alcohol and that's what I mainly write and I'm drunk... :tongue2:

--------------------

-Erik Davis

OfflineHooty
Reality isRelative

Re: Dude, I have this shitty english question, please help m [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #2946975 - 07/31/04 12:18 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I was going to ask you if you wrote any poetry.

--------------------

Without love in the dream
It will never come true

InvisibleGnuBobo
 User Gallery

Re: Dude, I have this shitty english question, please help m [Re: Hooty]
    #2946983 - 07/31/04 12:20 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Nothing wrong with booze. But one has to find that line between brutal honesty and hitting truth as opposed to drunk grandstanding. Now, I've been left of the center far too many times..... Bear baiting, I guess.

"Tryin' to walk a straight line, on sour mash and cheap wine."

GB

--------------------

Male

#2946997 - 07/31/04 12:22 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I'm not a big fan of booze, actually, but I'm visiitng home to say hi to mom, and I don't really like to smoke when I'm home just cause I think beer goes really well with the ambiance here...:) I didn't think I was drunkenly grandstanding either...I literally wrote the first thing I thought when I read the poem and his question.

--------------------

-Erik Davis

InvisibleGnuBobo
 User Gallery

Re: Dude, I have this shitty english question, please help m [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #2947011 - 07/31/04 12:27 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Sorry man, I wasn't trying to be presumptuous. I was actually commenting on my own behavior--not yours. Have a good time w/ mom. Give her our love from the Pub.

GB

--------------------

OfflineMAGnum
veteran

#2947015 - 07/31/04 12:27 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Many great writers drank.

Male

Re: Dude, I have this shitty english question, please help m [Re: MAGnum]
    #2947022 - 07/31/04 12:28 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

MAGnum said:
Many great writers drank.

Can we say Faulkner? :smile:

--------------------

-Erik Davis

Male

#2947024 - 07/31/04 12:29 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Don't worry about it Gnu...it was probably me being drunk that mae me thik you were being on the offensive anyway. :smile:

I'll be sure to tell her so...in my dreams...where my mother knowns I like tripping

--------------------

-Erik Davis

InvisibleGnuBobo
 User Gallery

#2947027 - 07/31/04 12:30 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

HEMINGWAY.
Booze + Bullfighting + Big Game Hunting + Fishing + Gertrude Stein = ICON

--------------------

Male

#2947032 - 07/31/04 12:31 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Let's all go take mushrooms and take turns reading The Sun Also Rises out loud.

--------------------

-Erik Davis

InvisibleGnuBobo
 User Gallery

#2947036 - 07/31/04 12:33 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

And speaking of Faulkner, ever heard the anecdote when it was his daughter's birthday and he asked what she wanted? She said, "Daddy, I'd really like it if you didn't drink today."
As per the story, Faulkner said, "No one ever remembered Shakespeare's daughter."

That's all hearsay, and rumor, of course. Nonetheless, it adds to the legend.

GB

--------------------

Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
    #2947042 - 07/31/04 12:34 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

lets all go take mushrooms and fade away forever into the realm of fungi, fucking IV that shit so when we pass out from lack of sleep even our dreams are filled by the shroom spirits and if we perhaps die it will be for the good of your karma~!

InvisibleGnuBobo
 User Gallery

#2947046 - 07/31/04 12:34 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Dammit. I'm, just seeing pins now. And if things go well, I'll have no need for the Sun Also Rises.
By the way, read any Buk?

--------------------

Male

Re: Dude, I have this shitty english question, please help m [Re: 2Experimental]
    #2947052 - 07/31/04 12:35 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

2Experimental said:
lets all go take mushrooms and fade away forever into the realm of fungi, fucking IV that shit so when we pass out from lack of sleep even our dreams are  filled by the shroom spirits and if we perhaps die it will be for the good of your karma~!

All right, all right, I dig. :smile:

--------------------

-Erik Davis

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies