Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

Berger cleared of document theft
    #2945698 - 07/30/04 06:39 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Clinton Adviser Berger Cleared of Document Theft
President Clinton's national security adviser, Sandy Berger -- who'd been accused of stealing classified material from the National Archives -- has been cleared of all wrongdoing.

The National Archives and the Justice Department have concluded nothing is missing and nothing in the Clinton administration's record was withheld from the 9-11 Commission.

The Wall Street Journal reports archives staff have accounted for all classified documents Berger looked at.

Late last year they asked investigators to see if the former national security adviser removed materials during his visits.

Berger's lawyers said his client had inadvertently removed several photocopies of reports, but later returned them.

http://www.kyw1060.com/news_story_detail.cfm?newsitemid=39459

:tongue:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleretread
-=HasH=-
Re: Berger cleared of document theft [Re: Vvellum]
    #2948007 - 07/31/04 11:56 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Those Clintonestas and their files... appearing here, disappearing there, being requested here, being lost there...

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

Re: Berger cleared of document theft [Re: retread]
    #2948211 - 07/31/04 01:16 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

...and sandy "clintonesta" berger was cleared by the national archives and justice department.

Invisibleretread
-=HasH=-
    #2948263 - 07/31/04 01:32 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I was just kidding, really. I think that Clinton and his cohorts were as abject and corrupt as the Bush adminstration is. It just seems that the Bush administration manages to not get caught doing stupid things time and time again.

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #2948698 - 07/31/04 03:24 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

bi0 writes:

...and sandy "clintonesta" berger was cleared by the national archives and justice department.

Incorrect. Susan Cooper, chief spokesperson for the National Archives says this is not the case.

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2004/7/30/120251.shtml

pinky

--------------------

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

Re: Berger cleared of document theft [Re: Phred]
    #2948797 - 07/31/04 03:46 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

That's strange, considering Ms. Cooper told the Wall Street Journal:

Quote:

Archives spokeswoman Susan Cooper said officials there "are confident that there aren't any original documents missing in relation to this case." She said in most cases, Mr. Berger was given photocopies to review, and that in any event officials have accounted for all originals to which he had access.

That included all drafts of a so-called after-action report prepared by the White House and federal agencies in 2000 after the investigation into a foiled bombing plot aimed at the Millennium celebrations. That report and earlier drafts are at the center of allegations that Mr. Berger might have permanently removed some records from the archives. Some of the allegations have related to the possibility that drafts with handwritten notes on them may have disappeared, but Ms. Cooper said archives staff are confident those documents aren't missing either.

Daniel Marcus, general counsel of the 9/11 Commission, said the panel had been assured twice by the Justice Department that no originals were missing and that all of the material Mr. Berger had access to had been turned over to the commission. "We are told that the Justice Department is satisfied that we've seen everything that the archives saw," and "nothing was missing," he said.

Hmmm - who do you believe more? The Wall Street Journal, the Justice Department, the general counsel of the 9/11 Commission, and Ms. Cooper herself or Newsmaxx?

The Wall Street Journal - damn liberal media! :lol:

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
    #2948866 - 07/31/04 04:01 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Please, if you, can provide a link to the WSJ article itself, as opposed to what some radio station says the WSJ says somebody else said, which said person denies saying said thing. Hey whadid he say?

--------------------

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

Re: Berger cleared of document theft [Re: zappaisgod]
    #2948943 - 07/31/04 04:22 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

well here's the direct link: Berger Cleared, however you wont be able to access it without a paid subscription to the WSJ, hence the lack of a link.

here's the article from 7/30/2004:

Quote:

Officials looking into the removal of classified documents from the National Archives by former Clinton National Security Adviser Samuel Berger say no original materials are missing and nothing Mr. Berger reviewed was withheld from the commission investigating the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks.

The conclusion by archives officials and others would seem to lay to rest the issue of whether any information was permanently destroyed or withheld from the commission.

Archives spokeswoman Susan Cooper said officials there "are confident that there aren't any original documents missing in relation to this case." She said in most cases, Mr. Berger was given photocopies to review, and that in any event officials have accounted for all originals to which he had access.

That included all drafts of a so-called after-action report prepared by the White House and federal agencies in 2000 after the investigation into a foiled bombing plot aimed at the Millennium celebrations. That report and earlier drafts are at the center of allegations that Mr. Berger might have permanently removed some records from the archives. Some of the allegations have related to the possibility that drafts with handwritten notes on them may have disappeared, but Ms. Cooper said archives staff are confident those documents aren't missing either.

Daniel Marcus, general counsel of the 9/11 Commission, said the panel had been assured twice by the Justice Department that no originals were missing and that all of the material Mr. Berger had access to had been turned over to the commission. "We are told that the Justice Department is satisfied that we've seen everything that the archives saw," and "nothing was missing," he said.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#2949124 - 07/31/04 05:00 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Well, this is good news. Nothing was lost. Still Berger should be in leg irons. He wasn't even supposed to take notes and he removed documents, admittedly. Even destroyed some, admittedly. And Kerry chose him to be an advisor?????? Bad judgement, bad judgement, bad judgement.

--------------------

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

#2949202 - 07/31/04 05:16 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

He wasn't even supposed to take notes and he removed documents, admittedly.

...and he returned them several months ago.

Quote:

Even destroyed some, admittedly.

Correction: he destroyed copies that he made for himself. The original documents are in safe-keeping.

Quote:

And Kerry chose him to be an advisor??????

No, Berger was not an advisor. He was an unpaid, informal advisor for the Kerry campaign, or in other words, he was a Democrat helping out just like everyone else. Big deal. Oh, and Kerry cut ties with him.

Quote:

Still Berger should be in leg irons.

Just curious, what exact laws were broken? Why should Berger "be in leg irons" if even the Justice Department cleared him of wrongdoing?

Edited by bi0 (07/31/04 05:22 PM)

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#2949284 - 07/31/04 05:34 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Removal of any documents was a criminal offense, whether copies or originals. This was not a question of these being one-of-a-kind documents like the Gutenberg bible at the NY public library, it was a question of these being CLASSIFIED documents, that were not to leave the room, be copied, photographed or even had notes taken about them. He violated the law. Attica, Attica, Attica. If he wasn't a rich white man he'd be sodomized right now

--------------------

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

#2949314 - 07/31/04 05:43 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

And why should Berger "be in leg irons" if even the Justice Department cleared him of wrongdoing?

I think it is more telling that Bush wishes to bring up the old Iran-Contra criminals to work for him. What's more criminal - walking out of a room with handwritten copies and few sheets of paper (that were soon returned) or funding and supporting death squads in the 1980s? Funny how pay no mind to these criminal offenses and bad judgements bad judegements bad judgements of your precious Bushboy, but are so quick to point fingers at less serious offenses.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#2949370 - 07/31/04 06:05 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

The justice dept, by the article, did not clear him of wrongdoing, it cleared him of one specific act.

It's not fair to tar me as a Reagan worshiper. I thought he got far too much credit. The Iran-Contra mess was disturbing to me for a lot of reasons, but not because this president had anything to do with it. The most disturbing thing about Iran-Contra was not that Reagan co-opted the will of Congress (although that was not good) but that he appeased the Iranians. Carter was an ineffectual jackass but Reagan struck a deal with this devil to release the hostages when he nneded it to look good. I firmly believe that he should have taken this bull by the horns and totally fucked them up for invading our soil (every embassy is sovereign soil of that nation, that was their first attack on US soil). I do think it was an opportunity missed that has cost us gravely

--------------------

OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Loc: Smokey Mtns. TN Flag
Re: Berger cleared of document theft [Re: Phred]
    #2949518 - 07/31/04 06:44 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

you realize that story is from newsmax.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion