Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblerogue_pixie
faerydae
Female User Gallery

Loc: UK
New Laws Against Animal Rights Activists
    #2944680 - 07/30/04 12:39 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Blunkett told: treat animal rights extremists as terrorists

One of Britain's leading research scientists yesterday urged David Blunkett to treat extremist animal rights protesters "like the terrorists they are".

Speaking before the Home Secretary announces legislation today to protect scientists from militant activists Tipu Aziz, a neurosurgeon at Oxford University, said it would be a national disaster if a laboratory for scientific research there was not built because of demonstrations.

"This is a statement of the faith of British people and the British Government in the scientific community," he said. "If it doesn't get built it will be proof that an extremist handful of people can disrupt everything."

Since the proposed primate research laboratory in Cambridge was shelved due to activist threats, the Oxford site has become the rallying point for sustained anti-vivisection marches and demonstrators. Work on the laboratory, which is due to be finished in 2005, has ground to a halt because of the protests.

Yesterday the cranes stood idle at the half-finished building after the Montpellier Group pulled out of the ?18 million project last week.

Directors of the building contractor had been targeted and threatened, while shareholders were told to sell their stock in the group or face exposure on the internet. Subsequently, RMC, the concrete supplier to the site, also pulled out after vehicles' brakes were sabotaged and equipment destroyed.

The only signs of activity yesterday were 20 protesters standing outside the building, watched by two policemen. They held banners urging passers-by to help "stop the Oxford animal lab now". Several passing cars sounded their horns in support.

Carol Hart, one of the activists, said she often took time off work to protest outside the laboratory. "It's something I feel very strongly about. I care about animals, but I care about people too."

She said she was not worried by the new laws that Mr Blunkett was due to announce. "The Government is just trying to attract attention away from the real issue," she said. "They aren't really worried about medical research, they are worried about lack of investment. We're not terrorists. The Government is just worried that the public will support us. It doesn't want a public debate on the matter."

Mr Aziz divides his time between operating on patients with Parkinson's disease and conducting research with primates into new cures for neurodegenerative disorders.

He said: "I can understand people being against animal testing, but most people do not resort to violence. I would have the Government label extremists as the terrorists they are. I don't see any difference between them and political terrorists. They should deal with them in the same way as the IRA or al-Qa'eda."

A researcher into animal welfare, who did not want to be named, said it was difficult to see how new legislation would help. "Tightening it up is great, but when you're dealing with terrorists they will still go ahead and then if they are arrested they will become martyrs to the cause."

She said that the answer to the problem lay in educating the public about the research that went into the drugs they took for granted. She suggested that drug companies wrote 'this product was tested on animals' on pill boxes to ram the point home.

David Holmes, the registrar of Oxford University, said yesterday that it was determined that the laboratory would be built, despite the set-backs. "We fully intend to complete on schedule," he said. "Though we respect the rights of individuals to engage in peaceful protest we cannot condone any unlawful acts such as intimidation, harassment or violence."

-------------------------------------------------------------

Personally, I'm fuming about this. Blunkett is a twat.

What are your views on animals testing?

A necessary evil or pointless brutality?

--------------------
"Whatever you do, you need to keep moving.  Because when you stop moving you die (physically and emotionally).

Good luck and blessings of happiness and fortune." ~ RandalFlagg RIP

Edited by rogue_pixie (07/30/04 12:39 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTao
Village Genius

Loc: San Diego
Re: New Laws Against Animal Rights Activists [Re: rogue_pixie]
    #2944740 - 07/30/04 12:46 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Well just watch 28 days later--we're one animal activist attack away from armageddon. :smile:

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #2944966 - 07/30/04 01:34 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Ecoterrorism is a real problem. I consider myself an environmentalist, and I think most environmentalists are rational, decent people, but there are extremists out there who will put other people's lives at risk to save an acre of forest. I've heard of one group putting pieces of metal inside trees so that when the loggers use the chainsaw on it, it bounces back and hits them. I would consider this terrorism.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Invisiblerogue_pixie
faerydae
Female User Gallery

Re: New Laws Against Animal Rights Activists [Re: silversoul7]
    #2944993 - 07/30/04 01:42 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I think we should use scientists who carry out these vile experiements and politicians as test subjects. :smile:

--------------------
"Whatever you do, you need to keep moving.  Because when you stop moving you die (physically and emotionally).

Offlinebarfightlard
tales of theinexpressible
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia
    #2945034 - 07/30/04 01:52 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

agreed

--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

OfflineAneglakya
mephiticconjurator

Re: New Laws Against Animal Rights Activists [Re: barfightlard]
    #2945053 - 07/30/04 01:56 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

:thumbup:

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
    #2945069 - 07/30/04 02:00 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

rogue_pixie said:
I think we should use scientists who carry out these vile experiements and politicians as test subjects. :smile:

How about those that are opposed to animal research that is working to save human lives volunteer to be the first test subjects?

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
    #2945074 - 07/30/04 02:02 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

so you support death threats and mechanical sabotage as a way of protesting?

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

Invisiblerogue_pixie
faerydae
Female User Gallery

Re: New Laws Against Animal Rights Activists [Re: Evolving]
    #2945110 - 07/30/04 02:09 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

The fact is animal research is pointless and cruel. Animals are completely different, with different psychology and physiology. There have been many cases where products tested on animals that have been regarded as safe have gone on to cause devastating affects on human babies, causing all kinds of horrific mutations. It is not a reliable method of research and it is holding science back whilst causing mass unnecessary suffering.

--------------------

Invisiblerogue_pixie
faerydae
Female User Gallery

Re: New Laws Against Animal Rights Activists [Re: Innvertigo]
    #2945119 - 07/30/04 02:11 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I support peaceful protesting but even that is being restricted now i.e. it's being made illegal to protest outside scientists houses etc.

--------------------

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #2945126 - 07/30/04 02:12 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

So would you prefer they just not test products at all, and let potentially dangerous products go on the market without knowing what they do?

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Invisiblerogue_pixie
faerydae
Female User Gallery

Re: New Laws Against Animal Rights Activists [Re: silversoul7]
    #2945139 - 07/30/04 02:15 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Products tested on animals are potentially dangerous anyway.
Fact is - they aren't reliable because they are completely different.

--------------------

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

#2945147 - 07/30/04 02:16 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

I support peaceful protesting but even that is being restricted now

that doesn't sound like a peaceful protest nor an attempt to even try. I'd say they were vandals and if someone died/hurt from their actions they should be considered murderers and/or urban terrorists.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

OfflineAncalagon
AgnosticLibertarian

#2945162 - 07/30/04 02:19 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Products tested on animals are potentially dangerous anyway.
Fact is - they aren't reliable because they are completely different.

I realize you think money is the root of all evil and everything, so I don't suppose you'll mind giving a shitload of it up. I'd be willing to lay any amount of money down that I can find at least five instances of testing on animals preventing dangerous products from reaching the human marketplace. Sound good?

--------------------
?When Alexander the Great visted the philosopher Diogenes and asked whether he could do anything for him, Diogenes is said to have replied: 'Yes, stand a little less between me and the sun.' It is what every citizen is entitled to ask of his government.?
-Henry Hazlitt in 'Economics in One Lesson'

Invisiblerogue_pixie
faerydae
Female User Gallery

#2945167 - 07/30/04 02:20 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Haha, I wouldn't mind if the odd scientist got caught in the blaze. :devil:

Seriously, I said that I support peaceful protesting i.e. standing with banners and going on marches.

--------------------

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

#2945176 - 07/30/04 02:22 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

do you support those protesters in that article then?

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Invisiblerogue_pixie
faerydae
Female User Gallery

Re: New Laws Against Animal Rights Activists [Re: Ancalagon]
    #2945181 - 07/30/04 02:23 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I don't have any money to give up anyway!

I realise there are instances where we have been lucky but there are countless instances where animal testing has proved of absolute no use when used on human beings.

--------------------

Invisiblerogue_pixie
faerydae
Female User Gallery

#2945197 - 07/30/04 02:27 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I'm a pacifist, which means I don't believe in using violence no matter what the circumstance, so no I don't support them. But I can see why some activists do it. Animals testing sickens me.

--------------------

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

#2945214 - 07/30/04 02:30 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

fair enough.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

OfflineTao
Village Genius

Loc: San Diego
    #2945448 - 07/30/04 03:29 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

The fact is animal research is pointless and cruel. Animals are completely different, with different psychology and physiology.

I'm sorry, but that's the biggest line of bullshit i've read in a while on these boards.

Simple fact: why would these 'evil corporations' whose only goal is to earn money, waste money on animal research if it served no purpose?

I'm going to take a wild shot in the dark and guess that you don't have a large background in biological sciences. Don't make outrageous claims about which you obviously know very little.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom