Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineKillBill
Quick Learner
Surgery on a Cake
    #2944908 - 07/30/04 01:18 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

One of my only two pf-cakes has just developed a spot of Cobweb on the opposite side of the jar from growing mycelium, unfortunately only that one side of the jar germinated, but it has grown quite large in the jar and i do not Want to throw it out. The cobweb is new today, has not stretched onto the mycelium yet and i believe i could remove it or at least salvage the Mycelium.

What should i do, Sterilize a knife/ spoon and cut out the cobweb?

I was also thinking of Maybe just removing the mycelium and attempting my first G2G transfer, i have some ready to be inocculated WBS jars and it would be a good learning experience however, i have no flow hood / hepa filter / anything of that sort ( i could work in front of my oven?). My room is quite tiny and i could spray it down with lysol beforehand. Anyway, please help soon because i know Cobweb spreads fast and i need to come up with a solution before it grows any larger.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemidway
Stranger

Re: Surgery on a Cake [Re: KillBill]
    #2945005 - 07/30/04 01:45 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

g2g transfer is prolly your only chance and even that is really not advisable. Surgery on an uncolonized cake would be bad news. Personally i would pitch it into an outdoor area and see what happens.

OfflineKillBill
Quick Learner
Re: Surgery on a Cake [Re: midway]
    #2945022 - 07/30/04 01:49 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

unfortunately an outdoor area is not an option. I am going to go burn a spoon and then cut out the cobweb, put the cake back into the incubator and see what happens. If another contam comes up i'll do a G2G.

OfflineKillBill
Quick Learner
    #2945048 - 07/30/04 01:55 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I'm going to do all surgery Inside a clear plastic bag which has had lysol sprayed around in it.

I was thinking though, what would happen if i let the cobweb grow with the mycelium, would hte mycelium die? If it survives, Will the it fruit? If it fruits... will those fruits be poisonous or deadly?

Or...?

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #2945206 - 07/30/04 02:28 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Lysol is a FUNGUCIDE... and an uncolonized cake is not easily saved. Be careful not to spread the contam further. It would probably be best if you just threw it out. Still, it is rewarding if you succeed.

Good luck

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

OfflineKillBill
Quick Learner
Re: Surgery on a Cake [Re: Rose]
    #2945740 - 07/30/04 04:51 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

well i didn't spray the lysol directly on it thank god. I think i'm just gonna try a G2G right now, and hope for the best.

Offlinekitteh
yeehaw

Loc: SC
    #2945836 - 07/30/04 05:20 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

try some peroxide, drip some down in the jar on the spot with a syringe. Seemed to work for me

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
Re: Surgery on a Cake [Re: kitteh]
    #2945940 - 07/30/04 05:51 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I've had luck with 10%h2o2/90% water spraying on cakes would think you could do it with a srringe.  :goodluck:

:captain:

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever since.

:sun:

OfflineKillBill
Quick Learner
Re: Surgery on a Cake [Re: KaptKid]
    #2947005 - 07/31/04 12:25 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

and that will kill the cobweb and not the Mycelium? I haven't done the G2G yet, but i will if i see signs of cobweb again... unless of course you're saying i could just spray down the affected area with h202 and water. I dont' see HOW it will go without being contamed again, i used an upside down plastic bag sprayed up with lysol to open the jar in, then reach in with a sterile spoon and scooped up two spoon fulls of verm / brf / cob. although the cob was gone in less than a spoonfull, i wanted to get the whole area.

OfflineMAGnum
veteran

#2947094 - 07/31/04 12:43 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

KillBill said:
I was thinking though, what would happen if i let the cobweb grow with the mycelium, would hte mycelium die?

If it survives, Will the it fruit? If it fruits... will those fruits be poisonous or deadly?

Or...?

Usually green mold sets in. The mold gives off enough toxins, it will kill the mycelium after covering it. If it survives, it may fruit, but they might be mutant or small with many aborts.

Dependimg on the mold, there will be toxicity added to the mushroom. Especially if you have that toxic black mold that can make people sick. I don't know about deadly, but you may certainly get more than a trip out of them and I mean that in a physically ill way.

OfflineKillBill
Quick Learner
Re: Surgery on a Cake [Re: MAGnum]
    #2949996 - 07/31/04 08:26 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Well i noticed the cobweb was regrouping in the same spot, so in the same clear plastic bag method (i'm desperate) with disinfectant i scooped out some of the remaining healthy mycelium and did a G2G into two WBS jars. I know, it won't work, but its work a try.

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
    #2950328 - 07/31/04 10:30 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Throw it out man....its really not worth it. Once that contam has set in, would you really want it to spread to your other jars.

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

OfflineJaRRn
Lost in Space
Male User Gallery

Loc: Standing on the Cosmic Sh...
    #2950349 - 07/31/04 10:41 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I tried spooning out a green contam,, did nothing! 3 days later half the Jar was covered! Now I just chuck em out if anything looks odd.  It's fun mixing and making the shit up anyway! :smile:

Invisibletuna
Stranger

Loc: california, bay area
    #2950761 - 08/01/04 01:04 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

i wish i saw this post sooner! i've found that a mix of h2o2, water, and salt kills the fuck out of cob web. take a few cups of water, half that much h2o2, and a few table spoons of salt and boil em. let cool and inject all over cobweb + surrounding area. i dont know if salt is bad for mycelium, but i never saw any ill effects. good luck.

--------------------
i do not do anything illegal. (other than j-walking) everything i say i am doing or have done is a lie.

OfflineKillBill
Quick Learner
Re: Surgery on a Cake [Re: tuna]
    #2953736 - 08/01/04 08:35 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

damn, tuna thank you for the advice i'll be sure to remember that. ;-) However i already did a G2G transfer of the remaining Mycelium (cause the cobweb came back very small in the same spot two days later) into two Wbs jars, i had no other spores anyway so i decided it was worth a try. The two jars actually seem to be doing quite well, the mycelium is noticeably getting used to its new substrate (a change from brf/verm) and there are no visible contams or Cobweb yet. though i too think i will get a contam eventually, since i did hte g2g with a friends help in a upside down clear disinfected platic bag lol.

InvisibleMykey
spectraltraveler

#2953787 - 08/01/04 08:51 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

You could get lucky with the improvised glovebox so dont count yourself out just yet. As long as your hands and any instruments you were using were sterile you have a fair chance of success. If you get it again try adding a quick dunk in a shotglass with h2o2/h2o in it on its way to its new home. That should help to cleanse away any of those cobweb remnants before it goes into the new jar.

Good Luck!

--------------------

OfflineKillBill
Quick Learner
Re: Surgery on a Cake [Re: Mykey]
    #2957354 - 08/02/04 05:12 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I'm probably jumping to conclusions, but both WBS jars that i transferred mycelium to are doing nicely, and seem to be reaching out onto their new substrate. I'm pleased because i would think cobweb would have shown itself by now Since its such a fast grower, and i'm incubating quite warm (around 84).

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale