Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Subway rider arrested for eating candy
    #2943698 - 07/30/04 06:27 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

http://us.cnn.com/2004/US/South/07/29/candybar.arrest.ap/index.html

WASHINGTON (AP) -- A government scientist finishing a candy bar on her way into a subway station where eating is prohibited was arrested, handcuffed and detained for three hours by transit police.

Stephanie Willett said she was eating a PayDay bar on an escalator descending into a station July 16 when an officer warned her to finish it before entering the station. Both Willett and police agree that she nodded and put the last bit into her mouth before throwing the wrapper into a trash can.

Willett, a 45-year-old Environmental Protection Agency scientist, told radio station WTOP that the officer then followed her into the station, one of several in downtown Washington.

"Don't you have some other crimes you have to take care of?" Willett said she told the officer.

Washington has been under heightened security because of the continuing threat of terrorism. And last week, police declared a citywide crime emergency over rising juvenile crime.

The transit police officer asked for Willett's identification, but Willett kept walking. She said she was then frisked and handcuffed.

"If she had stopped eating, it would have been the end of it and if she had just stopped for the issuance of a citation, she never would have been locked up," Transit Police Chief Polly Hanson said Thursday.

Metrorail has been criticized in the past for heavy-handed enforcement of the eating ban. In 2000, a police officer handcuffed a 12-year-old girl for eating a French fry on a subway platform.

In 2002, one of their officers ticketed a wheelchair-bound cerebral palsy patient for cursing when he was unable to find a working elevator to leave a station. Unflattering publicity eventually led the police to void the ticket.

Willett was the second person arrested this year for eating or drinking, Hanson said. In addition, police have issued 58 tickets and more than 300 written warnings.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Subway rider arrested for eating candy [Re: Seuss]
    #2943699 - 07/30/04 06:27 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I wonder how long before it is illegal to breath... *sigh*

America, land of the free... unless you are eating on your way to a subway station... and people ask why I call this a police state.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibleLana
Head Banana
Female

Loc: www.MycoSupply.com
    #2943840 - 07/30/04 07:43 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Metrorail has been criticized in the past for heavy-handed enforcement of the eating ban. In 2000, a police officer handcuffed a 12-year-old girl for eating a French fry on a subway platform.

Give me a fucking break!!!!!!!!!!!!

This article has got me HOT!

This "cop" gets paid a salary for idiotic bullshit like this??? I really have no words to describe how disguested this makes me.

If a cop EVER arrested me for eating a french fry... I would do all I could to have his/her job!

/me says GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Lana

--------------------
Myco Supply - Distributors of Mycological Products
http://www.MycoSupply.com

The Premiere Source for Mushroom Growing Supplies.
Visit us online or call us toll free

Offlinechemcrusader
Stranger
Loc: Colorado, USA
    #2943942 - 07/30/04 09:01 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

That's absolutely fucking ridiculous.

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Loc: Pongyang, North Korea
    #2944327 - 07/30/04 11:15 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

umm, dont you konw that french fries and payday bars are enemies of freedom?

--------------------
PEACE

:mushroom2:zippoz:mushroom2:

"in times of widespread chaos and confusion, it has been the duty of more advanced human beings - artists, scientists, clowns, and philosophers - to create order. In such times as ours however, when there is too much order, too much m management, too much programming and control, it becomes the duty of superior men and women and women to fling their favorite monkey wrenches into the machinery. To relieve the repression of the human spirit, they must sow doubt and disruption"

"People do it every day, they talk to themselves ... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it."

InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

Loc: Radio Free Tibet!
    #2944458 - 07/30/04 11:59 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

How Singaporean! Maybe they should start having public canings... :mad:

However, I did notice the product placement in the story: "she was eating a PayDay? bar." So, maybe the whole thing was a setup -- some form of stealth marketing -- and the lady and the cops were both in on it; hired media-goons who worked for the ad agency on the side, to help make ends meet, come payday...

--------------------

OfflineMAGnum
veteran

Re: Subway rider arrested for eating candy [Re: Papaver]
    #2944485 - 07/30/04 12:06 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Payday, the illeagal candy bar of druggies and lawbreakers.

InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

Loc: Radio Free Tibet!
Re: Subway rider arrested for eating candy [Re: MAGnum]
    #2944539 - 07/30/04 12:17 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

LoLz! :grin:

Maybe they're going after that rebellious bad-boy image (e.g. "James Dean would eat a PayDay? if he were alive today") -- as an attempt to tap that ever elusive 18-34 male market (aka The Lost Boys). That market which is steadily receeding from traditional media such as televsion into the more elusive media-world of video-games and the internet.

Anybody else find it interesting that the event took place on the Subway??

PS: I'm not really this conspiratorial. Just having a little fun.* :wink:

*Or, maybe that's what I want you to believe. Maybe, I'm one of "them." Somebody better check under my bed for iPods?.

--------------------

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #2956202 - 08/02/04 12:31 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Jesus, what will they do next, prohibit farting on the streets ?

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
Re: Subway rider arrested for eating candy [Re: MAIA]
    #2956206 - 08/02/04 12:32 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

MAIA said:
Jesus, what will they do next, prohibit farting on the streets ?

MAIA

:lol: :lol: :lol:

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

Offlinegrib
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Here and there
    #2969674 - 08/05/04 07:57 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

WMATA cops are, for the most part, stupid, fat and uneducated... and it's Washington, D.C. What do you expect?

I live in suburban Washington and on my way home today the cops had the streets blocked in my neighborhood for a 'license check'. (and the area where I live is one of the safest in DC metro) I asked the cop the purpose of this check and he replied, 'because we can'. horosho musora...

--------------------
<~>Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake <~>

Jump to top Pages: 1

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom