Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: 5-HTP, Peat, Portable Greenhouse, Salvia, San Pedro

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineDistrancia
Hermit of TheRiver

Loc: Orleans
Growing Hops...
    #2943222 - 07/30/04 04:21 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Does anyone have any personal experience growing hops that they can share with me? Whether it was from seed or rhizomes. Thanks

Oh yeah and does anyone know where the seeds are produced on the flowers/stobiles? Causehave a 1LB bag of hops, but don't know what the seeds look like.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMystiq_Shaman
x.o.

Loc: North Calotte
Re: Growing Hops... [Re: Distrancia]
    #2943577 - 07/30/04 07:05 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

You start hops with rhizomes. I have never tried to grow from seeds except Humulus japonicus (japanese hops). rhizomes to hops should be bought when it is spring and started then. There are many strains of hops wich all produce diffrent aromas. I prefer american strains.
You can start planting the rhizomes when frost is gone.
Either build a trellis or find a place where the hops can grow. I grow my hops up against the housewall, it is over 2.5 meters tall so they grow big :smile:

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

Loc: Rigel 7
    #2944167 - 07/30/04 12:23 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

You can propagate as Mystique, said by seeds or rhizomes. Seeds are a little harder. Hops is dioecious (latin for "two houses"), which means it's just like marijuana, male and female flowers are on separate plants. Thus you'll have to get the flowers from female plants. The female plants aren't hard to mistake their flowers look like large cones almost like pine cones.

I'll write both ways on how to grow hops, but Rhizome cultivation is the most prevalent and easiest to do.

Seeds:
Hops seed is the type of seed with a dormant embryo. Many tree species and wild plant share this quality. To make hops seeds sprout one needs to break the dormancy of the embryo before sowing.

To break the dormancy place the seeds in a container of water. After a few minutes some will float and some will sink. Skim off the ones that float and put them in another container of water. Get rid of the the stuff that sinks.

Soak the viable seeds for one to two days. Most of the seeds should sink during this time. Take all of the seeds and mix them with damp peat moss in a sandwhich bag and put it in the fridge for a month and a half (about 5-6 weeks). At the end of that time put the bag in room temperature conditions. You could take the peat moss out and put it in a small flat and cover it with plastic or the flat top to make a mini greenhouse. Do not let peat moss dry out.

Look regularly to see if any seeds have sprouted. A few seeds may sprout as late as a month since placing in the "greenhouse." Seeds that sprout can be placed in well draining rich soil. Do not over water once planted.

Keep the soil a little dry now. Until it's well established as it's sensitive to over-watering.

Rhizome Cult:

Hops is mainly cultivated by rhizome divisions. Rhizomes will sprout quicker when the weather is warm. The root cuttings should be planted horizontally with the shoot buds facing up in a well-drained, rich, loamy soil.

Using rhizomes has started to make Hops a kind of cultigen in recent times. Many hybrid seedless versions of the plants are being used and very few seeding varieties are used anymore. This makes the plant on the path to an evolutionary dead end since there can be no recombination of DNA in the plant. It will soon be totally dependent on people like Corn and Salvia is.

OfflineMystiq_Shaman
x.o.

Loc: North Calotte
    #2948078 - 07/31/04 12:30 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

One of my hop plant: (shitty camera tho but it illustrate how big hops grows :smile:)

InvisibleMycomancer
Psi Cubed
 User Gallery

#2949816 - 07/31/04 09:43 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Confuscious say: "Hops vine can be grafted onto marijuana rootstock, thus making the vine THC active, which is good because the resultant combo looks like nothing more than a humble hops plant.  A butterfly dies in green pasture, the dandelion awakens to morning dew."

:rasta:,

mycomancer

--------------------

InvisibleStonehenge
Gone
Male User Gallery
Loc: S.E.
Re: Growing Hops... [Re: Mycomancer]
    #2951882 - 08/01/04 02:55 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Mycomancer, that is a myth. THC does not move thoughout the plant and while you can graft hops onto pot rootstock, the hops on top never becomes more psychoactive than regular hops.

neuro, that tech is called stratification and will work very well on some other types of plants also. Other techs are wet dry cycles, pouring boiling water on seeds and sometimes very complicated stratification. I've heard of some seeds that need time in the fridge, time outside, back in the fridge, then outside at a couple different temps just to germ. Sometimes you can get around all that by using ga3.

Stoney

InvisibleMycomancer
Psi Cubed
 User Gallery

Re: Growing Hops... [Re: Stonehenge]
    #2953651 - 08/01/04 10:07 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

That's unfortunate because i have read that in a few of my drug books...what the hell. everything is misinformation.

--------------------

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: Growing Hops... [Re: Stonehenge]
    #2954513 - 08/02/04 01:58 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Can you graft budsites onto a hops plant?

--------------------

Offlinefelixhigh
KIA
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ly
Re: Growing Hops... [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #2954964 - 08/02/04 04:58 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

if somebody can, it's only Una.

FH

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

Loc: Rigel 7
    #2955396 - 08/02/04 10:24 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Dormant buds that haven't begun to bolt you probably can.

InvisibleStonehenge
Gone
Male User Gallery
Loc: S.E.
    #2956763 - 08/02/04 04:41 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

You probably could do it but what would likely happen is the budding cycle would get messed up. It depends on a balance of hormones and being grafted would change all that. You could graft mj onto hops but I don't see the advantage. I guess then you could have a few stealth pot branches hidden in a hops plant so you could do that. I'm just not sure if they would flower the same way as on a pot plant.

An interesting line of research would be to graft together plants that have some sort of synergy. For example, griffonia simplofica which has 5-htp, the precursor of dopamine, might be grafted with san pedro to perhaps produce more potent plants. I'd say they probably wouldn't graft together being totally different species and genus. How about pot grafted on poppies to give opium laced bud? Maybe Una should produce some frankenplants for the specialty crowd?

Stoney

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: 5-HTP, Peat, Portable Greenhouse, Salvia, San Pedro

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden