Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!
Well, I posted a bit back about my friend's problems with his verm-cased rye pint. It was sprayed with saline two days ago. It appears he killed it. But, the gallon bucket of compost was infested with something green. Also had cobweb, he thinks. So today, he mixed up a 1:200 bleach water solution. Dug off the verm of the casing that had cobweb. He was surprised how thoroughly the myc had colonized the entire casing below the surface. He dug as much out of the bucket of compost (this bucket was about 8" deep, with 4" compost, a colonized pint, 1" compost, colonized pint, 1" compost). The green went fairly deep. So my BFF dug as much green tinged stuff out as he could. Then he dumped the bleach solution into both the casing container and the bucket. Note: both had been relegated to the outdoors. He soaked them for half an hour, drained, covered both with a pasteurized compost layer (12 minutes in the microwave), then sprayed the compost layer on top with the bleach solution. He then set them back in the shady part of the yard. He's waiting to see if this helps. Anyone else been through something similar? He's wondering, as he did a G2G and has 7 more pints of rye that are colonizing now and he's wondering if he should pasteurize some compost and case with this in a larger pan and see what happens. THe myc seems to like the compost, although in the above bucket with contams, the compost was NOT pasteurized. He's taking this step by step and seeing what the hell pops up. Cheers OMC!